Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDI, happy / sad

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 01:07 PM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts
Default PDI, happy / sad

After a 4 month wait i was suppose to get my car tomorrow am. The dealer just called and said the mechanic was not happy with how the brakes felt and determined it needed a new new rotor and brake pad on one wheel. They have no new gt-4 in inventory for a swap and there is no rotor from Porsche immediately available. i asked if this might have to do with any shipping damage and he assured me NO. They are going to give me a gt-4 car cover and charger for free and come pick me up when the car is ready which is 1.5 hours from my house. Look as always i want any thoughts or recommendations and most importantly anything you think i might need to be worried about as this is my first GT car which will be tracked. Disappointed in Florida.
The following users liked this post:
998R (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:17 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 320 Posts

It's a very positive thing that your dealer did such a thorough inspection. It would have been horrible to get it home and find the problem yourself ... and hour and a half away.
The following 9 users liked this post by DFW01TT:
Booth9999 (02-05-2021), fbgh2o (02-05-2021), KG-Virus (02-07-2021), matttheboatman (02-04-2021), minn19 (02-04-2021), n4v4nod (02-04-2021), RolloGigolo (02-05-2021), tigerhonaker (02-08-2021), UncleDude (02-04-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:59 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

It seems like your dealer did their job and performed the pdi correctly and thoroughly. There was a report recently of someone driving their car through the canyons and on a curve heard a loud pop. He pulled over and searched the area and found a large plastic piece. Oddly, it had Porsche written on it and took a picture of it to post on RL and ask if anybody knew what it was. He said he thought it would have been a 1 in a million chance to have heard a pop and found on the side of the road a Porsche item so figured it must have come from his car. Turns out, the plastic piece is supposed to be removed during pdi as they were spring supports or whatever their official name is that's used during transport to help lift the car to clear ramps, bumps, etc. His car should be performing much better now.

As for your car, your dealer did the right thing and seems like they're trying to give you some things in return for the inconvenience. They technically don't have to give you anything so again, I would say they did you right. Thank them and continue to build that relationship. That's the kind of dealer I'd like to work with.

On the other hand, I would probably ask exactly what the problem was and make sure it wasn't due to someone/the tech joy riding your car during "pdi." Did they tell you exactly what was wrong with the brakes/rotors/pads? Warped, not bedded in correctly, damaged?

Last edited by halfmonkey; 02-04-2021 at 02:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
The Pinkoboe (02-06-2021), tigerhonaker (02-08-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:03 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
It's a very positive thing that your dealer did such a thorough inspection. It would have been horrible to get it home and find the problem yourself ... and hour and a half away.
^This, plus threw in some goodies I wouldn't mind having.
DFW01TT (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 PM
space man
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
It seems like your dealer did their job and performed the pdi correctly and thoroughly. There was a report recently of someone driving their car through the canyons and on a curve heard a loud pop. He pulled over and searched the area and found a large plastic piece. Oddly, it had Porsche written on it and took a picture of it to post on RL and ask if anybody knew what it was. He said he thought it would have been a 1 in a million chance to have heard a pop and found on the side of the road a Porsche item so figured it must have come from his car. Turns out, the plastic piece is supposed to be removed during pdi as they were spring supports or whatever their official name is that's used during transport to help lift the car to clear ramps, bumps, etc. His car should be performing much better now.

As for your car, your dealer did the right thing and seems like they're trying to give you some things in return for the inconvenience. They technically don't have to give you anything so again, I would say they did you right. Thank them and continue to build that relationship. That's the kind of dealer I'd like to work with.

On the other hand, I would probably ask exactly what the problem was and make sure it wasn't due to someone/the tech joy riding your car during "pdi." Did they tell you exactly what was wrong with the brakes/rotors/pads? Warped, not bedded in correctly, damaged?

During the test drive the tech doing the pdi felt the brakes were not right upon further inspection he conclude due to either a brake pad issue or a rotor that it was not right and decided to replace the rotor and brake pad i was polite and now i have to be patient for a couple of days until Porsche responds on a new rotor i will call and and speak to service manager tomorrow and do a bit of a deeper dive
Old 02-04-2021, 06:44 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Wow, to me this is a 99% positive story. This is the kind of dealer I want to do business with.

You experience and hear of so many less inspiring stories (Ie. Python green shipping bits being left in the springs, scraped up aero parts at delivery, etc.) that this is a very refreshing post in fact.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
843Spyder (02-05-2021), JAhmed (02-04-2021), The Pinkoboe (02-06-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:07 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by space man
After a 4 month wait i was suppose to get my car tomorrow am. The dealer just called and said the mechanic was not happy with how the brakes felt and determined it needed a new new rotor and brake pad on one wheel. They have no new gt-4 in inventory for a swap and there is no rotor from Porsche immediately available. i asked if this might have to do with any shipping damage and he assured me NO. They are going to give me a gt-4 car cover and charger for free and come pick me up when the car is ready which is 1.5 hours from my house. Look as always i want any thoughts or recommendations and most importantly anything you think i might need to be worried about as this is my first GT car which will be tracked. Disappointed in Florida.
You have a GREAT dealer!

Wish mine were that good and honest.....

On your first curve at the track, think about how glad you are they caught this!!

Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2021, 11:05 PM
Fxanimator1
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by space man
Curious who your dealer is because they sound reputable to me.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:32 PM
frosty911
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds curious and fishy to me

I have to wonder what brake issue?

The pads are new. The disc are new. I would ask to know exactly what’s the problem. If putting new discs and pads solves the problem, what was wrong with the ones that are on the car. Surely the discs can’t be warped? Defective pads? Sounds weird

maybe a faulty power brake pump but that would not be solved by a new set of pads and rotors on one wheel.

Are they stalling you?

I may be OCD but I would drive down there to check the car myself. Now.

are they buying time to repair other damages?

sounds kind of fishy to me.

keep us posted
The following 2 users liked this post by frosty911:
dnimi123 (02-05-2021), rp2000r (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:38 PM
GusRandall
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Better to have delayed delivery than to get it and then find out there are problems and have to bring it right back (which happened on both of my brand new Porsches including the custom GTS4.0 I just did (though in that case, I'm convinced the dealer f'd up the wash because there were scratches all over the car and bad swirls in the clearcoat all over - level 2 paint correction over the full car to fix and even then it isn't right)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:43 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Is the car driveable? Should be ok with one defective rotor/ pad.

If so, just take delivery now and fix it later when the parts come in.

3 hour round trip is not that bad IMO. Chew up some break in miles.

Or get them to send pics of the defective rotor/ pad.
Goodwood (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:59 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

One thought that just came to my mind is to ask if you have PCCB? The reason why I ask is because if you do have PCCB, the damage may be because of the tech removing the wheel during PDI and then when re-mounting the wheel, hit the PCCB and damaged it. PCCB is extremely susceptible to this kind of damage. If you have steelies, then never mind.
rp2000r (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 09:38 AM
space man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fxanimator1
Curious who your dealer is because they sound reputable to me.
the dealer is west palm beach
Old 02-05-2021, 09:44 AM
space man
Instructor

update i will aske ask for pictures and put a call into the service manager today. i asked straight away if they were stalling me to possible shipping damage and he said no. i asked about picking up the car to get brake break in miles on it and the SP said they would not do it knowing there was a problem on a new car. i hate to be overly suspicious but also appreciate crap happens and they are trying?? More news later today i hope.
The following 2 users liked this post by space man:
Goodwood (02-05-2021), rp2000r (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:39 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Florida.... A sunny place for shady people. I think it sounds weird too....

Quick Reply: PDI, happy / sad