Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: Mileage when grinding disappeared
500 to 1000 miles
13.83%
1000 to 1500 miles
9.57%
1500 to 2000 miles
10.64%
Still grinding after 2000 miles
22.34%
No grind from the beginning
41.49%
Replaced transmission and all good now
1.06%
Replaced transmission and still grinds
1.06%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

6MT 1st to 2nd gear grind (Poll)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 08:55 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

Just an observation:

I guess that everyone who listed their car as grinding in the 1st three categories (500-1000, 1000- 1500, 1500-2000) did not break in the car per the manual. Since the grinding is reported to only occur above 4,000 rpm and the manual recommends not exceeding 4,000 for 2000 miles, every one of the reported grinds at less than 2000 miles was reported by people who did not follow the recommended break in procedure. That may even apply to the “still occurring > 2000 mile” category.

I’m not accusing anyone of anything and don’t want to get into the whole break in debate, but it is an interesting data point.

Id love to see the data on those of us who have never experienced a grind and specifically if the no-grind group broke their cars in per the manual. If a high percentage of the no-grind crowd followed Porsche’s recommendations on break-in, that would be telling.

I kept it below 4 until 2,000 and never experienced any grinding now that I shift to 2nd near redline frequently. That could be purely a coincidence, but I’d like to see the data. Perhaps the recommended break in is for the transmission as much as for the engine?

The following users liked this post:
patdonahue (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:01 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Just an observation:

I guess that everyone who listed their car as grinding in the 1st three categories (500-1000, 1000- 1500, 1500-2000) did not break in the car per the manual. Since the grinding is reported to only occur above 4,000 rpm and the manual recommends not exceeding 4,000 for 2000 miles, every one of the reported grinds at less than 2000 miles was reported by people who did not follow the recommended break in procedure. That may even apply to the “still occurring > 2000 mile” category.

I’m not accusing anyone of anything and don’t want to get into the whole break in debate, but it is an interesting data point.

Id love to see the data on those of us who have never experienced a grind and specifically if the no-grind group broke their cars in per the manual. If a high percentage of the no-grind crowd followed Porsche’s recommendations on break-in, that would be telling.

I kept it below 4 until 2,000 and never experienced any grinding now that I shift to 2nd near redline frequently. That could be purely a coincidence, but I’d like to see the data. Perhaps the recommended break in is for the transmission as much as for the engine?

A valid point. I will say that mine did grind at 4K rpm +/- 200, 2 or 3 times.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:09 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Bump N’ Grind...
Old 01-21-2021, 07:07 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just an observation:

An interesting hypothesis. However, my first ever grind (had maybe three total) happened when I was making a casual left turn, and was shifting well under 4K rpm (especially given that I was shifting in the middle of turnx which would generally be considered a "no-no"). I think it's possible that the over 4K commonality is more related to the nature of how someone is shifting when they're trying to "hussle" the car. So if the issue is related to tolerances in the parts that are wearing in, it's possible that the issue is occurring in any scenario where the "human using the control" tolerances are smaller as well (eg trying to quickly up shift when at higher RPMs, or more casually/sloppily moving the shifter as in my case).

...just kinda riffing off your idea...
Old 02-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Update: Had several grinding in the first 500 miles then went away and today it came back hard with a vengeance at 1200 miles. Couldnt even get into 2nd this time. Almost always seems to happen coming out of a U turn, especially the worse grinds.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:28 PM
genevagear
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just an observation:

I have a 2018 base Cayman and followed the recommended break-in guidelines and had grinding that started after 2000 miles and shifting first to second above 4000 RPM. The grinding was getting worse with time and Porsche replaced the transmission. When I picked up the car I was told no break-in period on the new transmission. I pressed them on it to make sure it was clear. I decided to ignore what they said and kept revs below 4000RPM for another 2000 miles (painful). I haven't had any issues with the new transmission.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:26 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by genevagear
I have a 2018 base Cayman and followed the recommended break-in guidelines and had grinding that started after 2000 miles and shifting first to second above 4000 RPM. The grinding was getting worse with time and Porsche replaced the transmission. When I picked up the car I was told no break-in period on the new transmission. I pressed them on it to make sure it was clear. I decided to ignore what they said and kept revs below 4000RPM for another 2000 miles (painful). I haven't had any issues with the new transmission.

Great information. Thanks. I say that squashes my theory. ( I still think my theory was sound. &#128522. Are you east, west or central PA?
Old 02-11-2021, 12:31 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

At 2k miles and still only the one grind. Now that break in is up, I've been having a lot more fun with it and no more 1-2 grinds thankfully. I guess I'm just better at driving a manual than most here.

Kidding aside, I don't think it has much to do with how you do the 1-2 pull and it is just luck of the draw who gets what transmission wise. Who knows, could've been something to do with a certain production batch/run.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:33 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Update: Had several grinding in the first 500 miles then went away and today it came back hard with a vengeance at 1200 miles. Couldnt even get into 2nd this time. Almost always seems to happen coming out of a U turn, especially the worse grinds.
I can't remember, have you taken it in yet?
Old 02-11-2021, 01:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Anyone thought of raising the clutch bite point a bit, this would give more time for shifts especially when hauling *****
Old 02-11-2021, 04:12 PM
genevagear
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I am east PA. I don't think it squashes your theory. I think there's some variability which makes troubleshooting more difficult.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:53 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Anyone thought of raising the clutch bite point a bit, this would give more time for shifts especially when hauling *****
how?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
how?
any service shop can do this. Not sure the exact procedure but its not hard supposedly
Old 04-20-2022, 07:31 PM
theonlywinner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1st to 2nd Grind - Air in the clutch pedal hydraulic line?

Picked up my manual, Shark Blue 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 on Dec. 22, 2021. Still getting the grind after 2,000 miles. I first noticed the grind on the second day of driving. I pulled into traffic too early, so had to do some quick acceleration and a quick shift to second to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. Ouch!
Now it happens pretty consistently on quick shifts from first to second, around 3500 rpm and up, Thought it was me, so made very conscious efforts, like everyone else on this thread, to make sure the clutch pedal was fully depressed. After one week, it had happened a handful of times. I spoke to my Sales Rep who is a long time Porsche Ambassador, he said that it should not be happening. He mentioned that the car had a hydraulic clutch, not a cable or rod. I broke the car in carefully, not going over 4,000 rpm for several hundred miles, and then slowly increasing after that, per 100 miles. Still happening, so I am super careful not to quick shift from first to second. I read in a couple places that it could be air in the hydraulic line, causing a slight delay in the clutch disengaging / engaging. I am taking it in for service tomorrow for an "engine control fault" warning light that came on last week and have asked them to do some research on the grind issue. It is repeatable, I just HATE the grind and having to show it to them. Hoping they will bleed the line and the problem will go away.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:41 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by theonlywinner
Picked up my manual, Shark Blue 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 on Dec. 22, 2021. Still getting the grind after 2,000 miles. I first noticed the grind on the second day of driving. I pulled into traffic too early, so had to do some quick acceleration and a quick shift to second to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. Ouch!
Now it happens pretty consistently on quick shifts from first to second, around 3500 rpm and up, Thought it was me, so made very conscious efforts, like everyone else on this thread, to make sure the clutch pedal was fully depressed. After one week, it had happened a handful of times. I spoke to my Sales Rep who is a long time Porsche Ambassador, he said that it should not be happening. He mentioned that the car had a hydraulic clutch, not a cable or rod. I broke the car in carefully, not going over 4,000 rpm for several hundred miles, and then slowly increasing after that, per 100 miles. Still happening, so I am super careful not to quick shift from first to second. I read in a couple places that it could be air in the hydraulic line, causing a slight delay in the clutch disengaging / engaging. I am taking it in for service tomorrow for an "engine control fault" warning light that came on last week and have asked them to do some research on the grind issue. It is repeatable, I just HATE the grind and having to show it to them. Hoping they will bleed the line and the problem will go away.
Not a great first post but you are in good company. Had it in the first 1500km only with 1-2 quick shifts, Hoping it disappears with more miles with smiles as it has with the rest of us.

Quick Reply: 6MT 1st to 2nd gear grind (Poll)