Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Does the GT4 A/C always turn on when car starts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 12:15 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
If you have the memory function turned on it stores the AC settings to the key fob. If auto memory is turned off it uses the key fob setting stored with the number "3" key memory. If the outside temperature is below 36 F the AC compressor will not run.
gt4 doesn’t have memory settings
Old 01-10-2021, 12:15 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Go out of auto and turn ac off. It’ll stay off.
ive gone out of auto even in the settings on the display screen... still turns on
Old 01-10-2021, 12:31 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

the 981 was the same...Maybe this is something that can be coded out? I have read in the 718 forum a guy coding out the automatic auto start/stop so would be good to look into this.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:38 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by beemerb0y
ive gone out of auto even in the settings on the display screen... still turns on
Mines been off for weeks...

The following users liked this post:
beemerb0y (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:47 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

I’m kind of scratching my head wondering why this even matters......
The following 2 users liked this post by mjw930:
981KMAN (05-10-2022), tigerhonaker (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:53 PM
Voyager006
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know, but I remember one of the more reliable members on an M3 forum said BMW wants to keep the driver awake by blowing cool air in the face, though I think there was a way to disable it (AC on always) The complaint was that the AC compressor zaps HP away from track/street performance.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:29 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I’m kind of scratching my head wondering why this even matters......
If this can't be disabled, what's the purpose of turning on the A/C when the car starts every time? If I turned it off, it should stay off.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:42 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm assuming the OP has the dual zone climate control. The cars with the standard manual controls have a memory function for the AC, so it doesn't automatically turn on with the car when you start it unless it was on when you turned the car off.

The reason it comes on automatically with the dual zone climate control is because the system is trying to keep a constant temperature, and that requires heating the car sometimes and cooling the car sometimes. The AC is much more efficient at cooling the car to maintain a temperature, even in cold temps, than turning off the heat.

Ron
Old 01-11-2021, 12:03 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
I'm assuming the OP has the dual zone climate control. The cars with the standard manual controls have a memory function for the AC, so it doesn't automatically turn on with the car when you start it unless it was on when you turned the car off.

The reason it comes on automatically with the dual zone climate control is because the system is trying to keep a constant temperature, and that requires heating the car sometimes and cooling the car sometimes. The AC is much more efficient at cooling the car to maintain a temperature, even in cold temps, than turning off the heat.

Ron
Ron,

I have the dual zone. Check out the manual screen grab I posted above for the dual zone...once you come out of auto that setting is retained.

I turned off the auto and air couple weeks back...the setting has been retained on shut down.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:20 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Ron,

I have the dual zone. Check out the manual screen grab I posted above for the dual zone...once you come out of auto that setting is retained.

I turned off the auto and air couple weeks back...the setting has been retained on shut down.
No worries. I don't have the dual zone (my one regret on my build,) so only have the standard to really have hands on experience with.

Ron
Old 01-11-2021, 02:40 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Ron
My car arrives in April and I did not spec the dual zone. This is good to know, thanks for clarifying.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:22 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Mines been off for weeks...

this worked. Thanks!! no more stupid AC turning on when i start the car
Old 01-11-2021, 03:38 PM
Regul8415
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beemerb0y
this worked. Thanks!! no more stupid AC turning on when i start the car
Is at off now when you start your car or does the regular fan still turn on and you still have to set it off?
Old 01-11-2021, 10:45 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Ron
Ron, I have standard base AC system and if I shut the car off with the AC off, it still comes on automatically when I get in the car again.
Also to note, I have a Spyder, don't have keyless entry or memory seats, rather the buckets.

Last edited by Hit Apex; 01-11-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 PM
mranderson
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Ron, I have standard base AC system and if I shut the car off with the AC off, it still comes on automatically when I get in the car again.
Also to note, I have a Spyder, don't have keyless entry or memory seats, rather the buckets.
I have the standard single zone poor man climate control and my AC has never ever been on. When i picked up the car it was 0 celsius (32 F) so I never needed to turn it on. I've driven my car a few times and each time it never comes on. I also have 2021 Spyder

Last edited by mranderson; 01-11-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Does the GT4 A/C always turn on when car starts?