Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Oil Change 718 GT4-Spyder DIY with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022 | 12:35 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So Bill, this is just a lament by you that the vehicle based parts finder isn't up to date right?

Personally, I would never trust them implicitly, IMHO better to know what you need and then use that to cross reference what they say you need. For example the Online Porsche dealer part sites don't seem to apply the correct filters when you choose the car model before starting.

I just read one of my replies above, and I seem to be repeating myself... sorry.
Happens the all the time, when you're old it is a fact of life! Yeah, just complaining again. I know the p/n's I need but one would think a website selling car parts would be better set up, they used to be if I recall correctly. I'm so used to checking online I am reluctant to call, but that appears to be the vest way.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (01-01-2022)
Old 01-03-2022 | 01:16 PM
mp2day
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjw930
Considering how much the dealers rape us for basic oil changes it's almost easy to justify buying a lift. Actually I don't need much justification but I'm practicing for when the wife grills me

The only question is 4 post, 2 post or scissor lift...... Decisions, decisions.
I went QuickJack 5000TL on their Black Friday deal. I want a 2-post, but the cost to install (new concrete to support the jack) is unjustifiable for me
Old 01-03-2022 | 01:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mp2day
I went QuickJack 5000TL on their Black Friday deal. I want a 2-post, but the cost to install (new concrete to support the jack) is unjustifiable for me
I went with a mid-lift scissor style unit, no drilling concrete and relocatable too.

Fractal-Spyder (01-16-2024)
Old 01-03-2022 | 02:04 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

I got a scissors jack when I bought my 987 Cayman, sold it and bought a MaxJax for $1900 before I got the 981. It was a bargain then, but inflation has kicked in.....
Old 01-07-2022 | 12:53 PM
Southbama
Advanced

Smart. I did my first oil change last weekend with car only on jack stands and it was a real pain.
Old 01-13-2024 | 10:58 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Doing my first DIY oil change today. Break-in service was done at 1k miles at the dealer, and it has been a year since this was done. My 718 Spyder has slightly over 2k miles on it now. Maybe viewed as an overkill, but I just don't like the idea of engine sitting in a car for more than a year just in case there are any oil dilusons. Will take it for a quick warm-up drive and get started.

One question for those who have done this: Is there a method to reset the oil change / service indicator on the car WITHOUT using a bi-directional scan tool? Many cars of button combo press procedures to do this. Have we the community discovr anything like this on the 718s?

I have been putting off on buying a decent scan tool. But if there is no way to do this without, I may just pull the trigger on a new Autel unit. 7 cars total + a HD diesel truck, so I think it's justfied. Called few mechanics in town to see if they would reset it for me for a small fee, and all told me that they can't do this since they didn't change the oil themseles - liability reasons.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-13-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2024 | 11:09 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

I'm considering this model or higher spec. I have couple of cars which I want to program some extra keys for, and I think something like this will pay for itself in very short amount of time.

If I can also do some things done by PIWIS 3, then definitely a win-win.

I’ll worry about the reset method later. All set, here i go.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-13-2024 at 11:33 AM.
slilley (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024 | 12:06 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Nevermind about the Autel thing. Apparantly they are running a deceptive, and potentially illegal marketing practice. Looks like they are using the 'online feature' loophole to defend themselves, but unless they change their tactics, I will not be going with them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-features.html

Old 01-13-2024 | 06:24 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Ok, just finishing up the oil change on the 718 Spyder.
1. if you have a lift and a powered ratchet, it’s a breeze to do this. But, be warned that the front most 10mm nuts which bolts out and onto the studs: They appear to be either hard plastic or some sort of flimsy light material. be very careful when screwing these back on. Just barely snug it down with your hands / ratchet, and avoid power tools.

2. Oil filter does not really require a torque ranch. just hand tighten it using a standard ratchet. when it goes into the position, it locks in all of sudden, and you can’t turn any more. when it locks in, stop.

3. VERY important:: When removing the oil filter, make sure you do not skip out on the 1 gallon zip loc bag trick. otherwise you are in a world of hurt when you remove the filter. i’ll post some pics below, see how much oil went into the bag. this is after i allowed it to drain for an hour while i took a drive to the grocery store to buy some 2.5 gallon hefty branded zip loc bag. Do not skip this. Just break the filter lose, then wrap the filter with a large zip loc bag. with the bag in place, carefully unscrew the filter. once the filter is lose, keep it there and let the oil drain into the zip loc bag. while you are doing this, have some paper towels ready on your other hand. when ready, swap positions (bag & paper towel). stuff the paper tower i to the rim of the filter area, and discard the / change the oil filter.

Even if you have a lift, get yourself one of these, very useful and makes the job so much easier & enjoyable. sure you can use a standard ratchet, but trust me. this will save your arms..

other than few bolts near the edge, standard drill is much more efficient on the middle parts. but if you do not have a lift like this, and doing it from the ground with some jacks: Powered ratchet would be highly recommended. can’t imagine crawling under to do all this. would take hours..

Anyhoo. All done about an hour of work / saved few hundred bucks!

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-13-2024 at 11:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fractal-Spyder:
MotoFanatic (01-13-2024), slilley (01-15-2024), SpeedySpidey (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024 | 06:32 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

off to do 2 more cars. 24 LC 500 & F80 M3. M3 will be the easiest since the filter is so well designed from access standpoint.

Good luck everyone and thanks to all who contributed on this thread. i’ve learned a lot, and could not have done this without the first trailblazers. It would’ve been very messy and frustrating.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-13-2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2024 | 10:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
Doing my first DIY oil change today. Break-in service was done at 1k miles at the dealer, and it has been a year since this was done. My 718 Spyder has slightly over 2k miles on it now. Maybe viewed as an overkill, but I just don't like the idea of engine sitting in a car for more than a year just in case there are any oil dilusons. Will take it for a quick warm-up drive and get started.

One question for those who have done this: Is there a method to reset the oil change / service indicator on the car WITHOUT using a bi-directional scan tool? Many cars of button combo press procedures to do this. Have we the community discovr anything like this on the 718s?

I have been putting off on buying a decent scan tool. But if there is no way to do this without, I may just pull the trigger on a new Autel unit. 7 cars total + a HD diesel truck, so I think it's justfied. Called few mechanics in town to see if they would reset it for me for a small fee, and all told me that they can't do this since they didn't change the oil themseles - liability reasons.
Wow, the last 4 posts are all yours, nice lift!

Anyway, regarding your question about resetting the service indicator, no way that I know of other than a PIWIS or possibly a Launch X431, iCarsoft POR v3.0 or similar.
Fractal-Spyder (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024 | 11:41 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Wow, the last 4 posts are all yours, nice lift!

Anyway, regarding your question about resetting the service indicator, no way that I know of other than a PIWIS or possibly a Launch X431, iCarsoft POR v3.0 or similar.
Thanks. I'll look into them. I don't think I'll get the PIWIS. Can't justfy the cost for just 1 car (so far). I was looking at Autel, but found out they are very shady. Paygate lockout after subscription expires leaing your scanner worthles. I'll needs to start the research again. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2024 | 09:49 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

@Fractal-Spyder So after you’re all said and done, is it a pain to remove and install all three pieces, or not so bad?
If it’s a pain, would you consider a mod made to panel #1 so it’s easier to drop and access the filter and plug, vs. remove all three every time?
I’m fairly convinced a mod could be made, just not sure if it’s worth it.
Fractal-Spyder (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024 | 10:22 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
@Fractal-Spyder So after you’re all said and done, is it a pain to remove and install all three pieces, or not so bad?
If it’s a pain, would you consider a mod made to panel #1 so it’s easier to drop and access the filter and plug, vs. remove all three every time?
I’m fairly convinced a mod could be made, just not sure if it’s worth it.
I don't think it is that bad, certainly not enough to cut holes in the panel... and on top of that I think that trying to fish the filter through a hole would be a PITA and oil draining from it and the pan will get all over that panel anyway.
Fractal-Spyder (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024 | 10:30 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

I don't think it is that bad, certainly not enough to cut holes in the panel... and on top of that I think that trying to fish the filter through a hole would be a PITA and oil draining from it and the pan will get all over that panel anyway.
Just to be clear, I believe a mod could be made to that panel so that the whole panel would come off without removing the other two.
Just not sure if it’s worth making it though.

Quick Reply: Oil Change 718 GT4-Spyder DIY with pics