Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AUTEL SCAM Deceptive Marketing-No active subcription, no coding, no key features..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 06:39 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 256 Posts
Default AUTEL SCAM Deceptive Marketing-No active subcription, no coding, no key features..

Scam Warning: If you don't have an active AUTEL subscription, your AUTEL device becomes a cheap limited OBDII device.

Most key features, like coding, etc. will be disabled and your system becomes an expensive bad investment.

I bought my MK906BT a little more than a year ago, and I started using it again recently, and to my surprise, most key features stopped working.

I contacted AUTEL, and they stated that without a ~$700.00 annual renewal subscription, I would not be able to use any key features on my AUTEL device. .i.e. coding, etc.

There is no mention of requiring an active subscription to keep key features working on any of their selling advertising, which make AUTEL advertising highly deceiving.

AUTEL needs to clearly state that in order for their system to fully work, it needs a $600/
to $700 annual subscription fee.

I apologize for promoting AUTEL in the past, and do not recommend it anymore unless you are a for-profit shop that makes it worth spending $700.00 each year fir a subscription to keep its key features working.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:51 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

Any one who reads their Terms of Use should go crying to the hills. A BS company.

Thanks for the warning.

Last edited by George from MD; 05-14-2022 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 07:10 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George from MD
Any one who reads their Terms of Use should go crying to the hills. A BS company.

Thanks for the warning.
If anybody wants to join a class action suit for deceiving marketing, I am on-board.

Will be checking with my lawyers on this possibility.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:59 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

For your information..

Below is AUTEL's response. One will not be able to use some key features any more because it requires an online connection that can happen only with a valid subscription.

"We are really sorry that is Autel's marketing strategy, for all the Autel diagnostic tablets, there are annual fee. Only advanced functions such as ECU Coding/ Programming functions will be limited if not renewed because to code/ program a new ECU, that requires access to Autel online server, if the one doesn't renew the software, he can't access to Autel server data to process the coding or programming. The subscription fee is charged by Autel. "

Old 01-13-2024, 12:35 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

I was about to order an Autel higher end unit. I did a lot of research on this, and this topic never showed up, until I saw this thread. So thank you. You've saved me. It seems this issue is for certain vehicle manufacturers where they've implemented something that requires third party scanners to use Autel's servers. So for some cars, it functions fine, but for others it won't work. Now I'm not defending Autel or anything but what they are saying does make sense. But here is the problem. They can easilly provide a different tier of service which doesn't give you the updates, but simple access to allow you to use the scanner as it originally worked. To charge $700.00 / year is crazy.

I don't have enough information to understand if they are being deceptive or they are being honest + making us pay the hefty $700 / year subscription. It depends on couple of things.

1. How does the scanner usually work? Update subscription or no subscription, when you bought it, did the unit require a wifi / internet connection?

A. If it always required an active internet connection while you are doing something bi-directional, then we can assume either Autel, or the OEM is making you connect with them every time
B. If you were always able to code and access extra features without the need for an active internet connection, then their excuse of needing the subscription is an absolute BS!!

Sorry this happened to you, but now that I know this, I'm definitely looking elsewhere. But I am not an expert in the scanner market, and I don't know if all scanner / coder tools companies do this or not. This absolutely sucks!
Old 01-13-2024, 01:21 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbjuKp1rYXA

I was about to order an Autel higher end unit. I did a lot of research on this, and this topic never showed up, until I saw this thread. So thank you. You've saved me. It seems this issue is for certain vehicle manufacturers where they've implemented something that requires third party scanners to use Autel's servers. So for some cars, it functions fine, but for others it won't work. Now I'm not defending Autel or anything but what they are saying does make sense. But here is the problem. They can easilly provide a different tier of service which doesn't give you the updates, but simple access to allow you to use the scanner as it originally worked. To charge $700.00 / year is crazy.

I don't have enough information to understand if they are being deceptive or they are being honest + making us pay the hefty $700 / year subscription. It depends on couple of things.

1. How does the scanner usually work? Update subscription or no subscription, when you bought it, did the unit require a wifi / internet connection?

A. If it always required an active internet connection while you are doing something bi-directional, then we can assume either Autel, or the OEM is making you connect with them every time
B. If you were always able to code and access extra features without the need for an active internet connection, then their excuse of needing the subscription is an absolute BS!!

Sorry this happened to you, but now that I know this, I'm definitely looking elsewhere. But I am not an expert in the scanner market, and I don't know if all scanner / coder tools companies do this or not. This absolutely sucks!
I talked several times with Autel directly by phone before I bought my device.

A year later when my subscription expired, I called and email them proposing them a one vehicle lock fee or similar, but they blew me off..

I am stating they are deceptive because I talked to them by phone before I bought it, and rhey told me that only the software downloads will stop if you don't pay for software upgrades.

But as I found a year later after my subscription ended, all my online based features (Coding, ECU, etc) stop working because all online server connections were denied. Thise features always require a wifi/internet connection or it will immediately fail to work.

Yes, once your subscription expires and for some features, it still requires an internet/wifi connection.. i.e. Resetting oil services, etc.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 459 Posts

Thought it was $99. Or so to renew not $700. See Amazon link for the MK808S. Many are looking at this to be able to reset their service on 992s and similar later model Porsches and the fee IS mentioned but differs from what you encountered! So yes please explain or expound what you encountered for the group, please!

Old 01-13-2024, 06:19 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Thought it was $99. Or so to renew not $700. See Amazon link for the MK808S. Many are looking at this to be able to reset their service on 992s and similar later model Porsches and the fee IS mentioned but differs from what you encountered! So yes please explain or expound what you encountered for the group, please!

Below is the email where at the time it was $695.00 for my device model.

I guess tye MS906BT subscription is now on sale now from $495.00 down to $375.00..

Old 01-13-2024, 07:57 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Below is the email where at the time it was $695.00 for my device model.

I guess tye MS906BT subscription is now on sale now from $495.00 down to $375.00..

Wrong model. Mine is an AUTEL MK906BT.

Subscription is on sell today for $435 down from $495..

And, before as shown before, it was $556, down from $695.00..

Old 01-13-2024, 08:20 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Interesting, the MK906BT has features to analize the BMS and the battery.

I don't remember this option in the information provided for my older mk906bt..

In addition, you can read the sales information and find that Autel still does not warn, or tell, users that all the coding features will stop working after the software update license expires.

https://www.auteleshop.com/wholesale...m-mk906bt.html

Quick Reply: AUTEL SCAM Deceptive Marketing-No active subcription, no coding, no key features..