Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDKS GT4 VS GTS what’s really different?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 11:41 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Cayman cheaper lighter smaller and different to learn, anyone know if they both have PDK-S like a GT3? No creep, forward down, lever back is up when not using paddles?
From all evidence so far, the GTS PDK has the same functionality as standard Caymans, which starting with the 982 generation all of them had forward down, back is up. Not a GT-specific thing. I do not believe it has other GT-specific PDK traits, like pull and hold neutral, no creep mode, and PDK SPORT mode. This is consistent with the fact that it has the standard PDK lever, and sport and sport+ modes.

the GT4, on the other hand, has a PDK setup more consistent with GT3/RS and GT2RS, with the different shift lever and plate, along with PDK SPORT mode, and no creep function. Pull-and-hold neutral has not been confirmed anywhere as no one has gotten their cars yet, but there’s no reason to think it would be any different from other GT cars based on evidence. Here’s the description from the configurator for the GT4:

The following users liked this post:
PGTGULF (11-16-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

^^^ Thanks

Old 11-14-2020, 12:47 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

Sport Auto test the cars as follows:
GT4 6-speed = 1’55.0”
GT4 PDK = 1’54.6”
GTS 6-speed = 1’56.9”

Not on the same day but still interesting to look at. About half a second for manual to pdk and perhaps 1-2 seconds for p-zero vs cup2? So if you take 2 seconds off the GTS for pdk and cup2 tires you are down to 0.3 seconds. There isn’t as much in it as some people think.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
Sport Auto test the cars as follows:
GT4 6-speed = 1’55.0”
GT4 PDK = 1’54.6”
GTS 6-speed = 1’56.9”

Not on the same day but still interesting to look at. About half a second for manual to pdk and perhaps 1-2 seconds for p-zero vs cup2? So if you take 2 seconds off the GTS for pdk and cup2 tires you are down to 0.3 seconds. There isn’t as much in it as some people think.
By numbers (but like you said, different day), however... The driving "feel" is probably the biggest difference. The GTS is more grand Tourer, the GT4 is higher strung, sharper, and more immediate. The GT4 has more hard mount points, less rubber bushings, and different tuning for all the systems.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:29 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

I think I read somewhere that the GTS has its own suspension tune as well - that it isn’t “just” a Cayman S. Can’t find that article.........
Old 11-14-2020, 05:30 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

Scamdemic?
Old 11-15-2020, 08:30 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

PDK-S in the GT4 and not in the GTS. You won’t like a regular PDK on track Peter after driving PDK-S.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:14 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

On 991.2 4 GTS models, some changes are:

Modifications of PTV Plus on PDK cars. This electronically controls the rear differential lock to allow fully variable torque distribution. In interaction with PSM, the system provides better traction and greater driving stability.
Upgraded PTM on all wheel drive models ensures excellent road handling and optimum acceleration.
Changes to PASM the electronic damping control that continuously adjusts the damping at each wheel.
The springs are harder and shorter and the anti roll bars on the front and rear are stiffer.
Larger front spoiler lip and rear spoiler extends further.
Wider rear track and wider wheels front and rear. 9” front and 12” rear.
Reduced lift and front axle and increased downforce at rear axle. This results in improved aerodynamics.
Changes to ABD and ASR.
In my opinion, the very noticeable handling improvements are because of the AWD system, the wider rear track in the 4 models and the wider tires/wheels. When driven back to back with S, the handling differences are noticeable.

For those with rear wheel drive only models, some of the changes might not be present. Keep in mind that the Turbo is AWD and Porsche likely trickled down these improvements into the C4GTS models. For those individuals that can get access to a C4GTS and C4S and can do their own comparo, you should notice the improvements in handling. If cannot appreciate this, then save some money and buy an S.

To the gentleman that opted for the Carmine Red S, you have an excellent car. Enjoy it. If you can get into a C4GTS and can take it a a spirited drive on Mexican roads, you will understand how the above changes have transformed the car. And if not, then no big deal. It’s just a car. If you want more information, much of it is on the Porsche site and the GTS specific PDF.

Here is one screen shot.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:52 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmuller
PDK-S in the GT4 and not in the GTS. You won’t like a regular PDK on track Peter after driving PDK-S.
I have a PDK 981 Cayman S. Even in Sport Plus, the PDK "manual mode" is not completely under control of the driver. Depending on how you go to throttle, it will kickdown downshift even if you wanted to stay in the higher gear through a corner. I find it very annoying. I expect the 718 GTS behaves the same..
Old 03-26-2021, 11:04 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
That's a huge reason for the GT4. PDK-S is urgently quick plus it lowers the engine temperature by 20 degrees or more almost immediately.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:48 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug49
I have a PDK 981 Cayman S. Even in Sport Plus, the PDK "manual mode" is not completely under control of the driver. Depending on how you go to throttle, it will kickdown downshift even if you wanted to stay in the higher gear through a corner. I find it very annoying. I expect the 718 GTS behaves the same..
Fortunately, it doesn't. At least, my turbo 718 GTS wouldn't kick down with the PDK in manual mode during full throttle application, so I expect the same behavior from the 718 GTS 4.0. I can also confirm that the PDK doesn't kick down on full throttle application in a 718 GT4, either.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:13 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
That's a huge reason for the GT4. PDK-S is urgently quick plus it lowers the engine temperature by 20 degrees or more almost immediately.
I can confirm in my 970.2 GTS, granted it's a totally different platform, but GTS and PDK still...if I'm in Sport+ it will happily kick down to the closest gear to redline, even on the highway, 3rd gear is a glorious sound with the V8.
I'd surmise that with the 718 turbo GTS, since it's a turbo, there isn't as much benefit since the peak torque and power are middle of the power band...but I'm just guessing in that sense.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
isn't that the 3rd radiator kicking in?
Old 03-27-2021, 05:54 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug49
Does it have a kickdown 'click' at the end of the throttle pedal travel or does it happen in a place you can't feel with your foot?
Old 03-27-2021, 10:26 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the chance to visit the new Porsche Experience Center at Hockenheim last week, one of the cars we drove was a 718 GTS 4.0 PDK. We discussed in detail the real life performance difference of the GT4 vs GTS 4.0 with our instructors as I am in market for a new track day car. If you ignore the looks (for me the GT4 is the best looking Porsche currently) they said for the average track day joe he will not experience a difference. A lot feeling comes with the rubber, so you may want to put Cup2 on the GTS and you are good. So for me I know now a GTS is good enough but I still want a GT4 :-)

Quick Reply: PDKS GT4 VS GTS what’s really different?