Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is the 718 GT4 underpowered

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:55 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossam Mahmoud
Someone posted this video here yesterday. The guy said everything I'm concerned about lol..

https://youtu.be/sBOCzV2rVT8
lol. The camaro has 200 more hp and loses a DRAG RACE 7 / 8 times to the gt4. All that power isn’t worth much if your too fat and poorly weighted to use it
It gets obliterated in the auto cross by over 7 seconds.
It barely nods on the hot lap by .4s with all that extra power

if that’s the driving experience you want, get a turbo. It’ll smoke the gt3 in the things you care about
Old 10-24-2020, 03:00 PM
moshiden
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And don’t forget, the hosts in that video still chose the Camero in the end 🙄
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 03:16 PM
j2dna
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sullic
It will be great to get your perspective on the GT4. I had a 2006 C4 manual that had a modified suspension similar to a 997 GT3 for many years, as well as many other manual cars, and for the 1st time every, I'm without a manual car. My plan is to sell my 2019 C63S at some point and replace it with either a 991.2 GT3 manual or GT4 manual. Can't go wrong with either, and it will be fun to get back into a manual car. I'm leaning GT4 based on comments from the board and based on my driver skills, I think it is the best fit for me. My other car is a 991.2 Trubo, non S, and it is crazy fast. At some point I'll mod it to get even more power and add the TPC DSC controller. It is amazing how they pick up speed and what great all-around cars they are, but I still miss a manual, so I move on from the C63S at some point. It's been a fantastic car. I think you will enjoy the lack of turbo spool and the direct feeling you will get from a Porsche with a manual.

Once you get yours, let me know your thoughts.
Will do but it'll be awhile. I've got a Feb build date.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:26 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,568 Likes on 2,270 Posts

420 horsepower is underpowered, what a world.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
AlexCeres (10-24-2020), phefner (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 09:19 PM
oo7ml
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts

OP,

Welcome to the forum.

Let me start by expressing two things that I’ve recently learned about the Rennlist forum, which might save you a few headaches.

01 - Technical Knowledge: this is one of the greatest forums for technical expertise and knowledge... there are a lot of gifted and highly skilled people on the forum... BUT

02 - Opinion: don’t waste your time asking for an opinion on Rennlist. The forum has far too many Porsche fan boys that can’t see, appreciate or respect any other car manufacturer, other than Porsche... and to make it worse, their Porsche (whatever model they currently own), is the only Porsche that matters, and is much better than any other Porsche ever created... yawn... I am currently lucky to own 3, but I do respect that there are other brands and that Porsche are not the only brand in the world... regardless of how good they are.

Getting to my point... ‘power’ can be subjective and highly opinionated. It depends on what you are comparing the GT4 too also. I personally find it under powered (get ready for the fan boys), but it is also an incredible car.

Drive one and make up your own mind, and I hope you enjoy the forum.

The following 3 users liked this post by oo7ml:
CDACH (10-26-2020), Hossam Mahmoud (10-25-2020), Vgj (10-25-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Troll meet dog whistle.
Needsdecaf (10-26-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 10:34 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by oo7ml
OP,

Welcome to the forum.

Let me start by expressing two things that I’ve recently learned about the Rennlist forum, which might save you a few headaches.

01 - Technical Knowledge: this is one of the greatest forums for technical expertise and knowledge... there are a lot of gifted and highly skilled people on the forum... BUT

02 - Opinion: don’t waste your time asking for an opinion on Rennlist. The forum has far too many Porsche fan boys that can’t see, appreciate or respect any other car manufacturer, other than Porsche... and to make it worse, their Porsche (whatever model they currently own), is the only Porsche that matters, and is much better than any other Porsche ever created... yawn... I am currently lucky to own 3, but I do respect that there are other brands and that Porsche are not the only brand in the world... regardless of how good they are.

Getting to my point... ‘power’ can be subjective and highly opinionated. It depends on what you are comparing the GT4 too also. I personally find it under powered (get ready for the fan boys), but it is also an incredible car.

Drive one and make up your own mind, and I hope you enjoy the forum.
Prior experience does absolutely factor in here. If you are coming from a AWD turbo car or something similar that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds, yeah the GT4 will feel slow by comparison.

If however you are coming from something that is similar or slower, then obviously it will feel faster to you.

One gets used to power and acceleration rather quickly and even something that feels fast at first, the feeling will lessen as you get used to it. Usually what I do in those cases is let a buddy drive my car and I sit in the passenger seat, then you realize how fast it is again. Or I will drive my g/f's car for a couple days, and then I feel like I have a supercar again, lol.

It's all relative
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
akhbhaat (10-25-2020), tthellott T (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:45 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Prior experience does absolutely factor in here. If you are coming from a AWD turbo car or something similar that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds, yeah the GT4 will feel slow by comparison.

If however you are coming from something that is similar or slower, then obviously it will feel faster to you.

One gets used to power and acceleration rather quickly and even something that feels fast at first, the feeling will lessen as you get used to it. Usually what I do in those cases is let a buddy drive my car and I sit in the passenger seat, then you realize how fast it is again. Or I will drive my g/f's car for a couple days, and then I feel like I have a supercar again, lol.

It's all relative
Or go drive it on a road course and appreciate the suspension, handling, brakes and more than sufficient power........
The following 3 users liked this post by 911therapy:
AlexCeres (10-25-2020), jmartpr (10-25-2020), mr965 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:49 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

[QUOTE=Hossam Mahmoud;16979528I've been a little worried that it might be underpowered. [/QUOTE]

yes, Porsche has a hierarchy. Search user Petevb posts (usually in the 997GT3 forum or the 991GT3 forum). He has charts that show where Porsche sports cars are relative to performance and cost. Caymans and Boxsters are at the low end of the hierarchy. Possibly, there could be a minor disruption to the hierarchy with the GT4RS (waiting to see).

[QUOTE=Hossam Mahmoud;16979528II wanted to buy a car with a special NA engine, and I'd rather buy a used GT3 Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

yes, you should buy a 991 GT3, or even a 996 or 997 GT3

This is a silly question because there are lots of cars that have higher horsepower (can you ever have enough horsepower?), better torque, quicker 0 to 60 times.
As 007ml said, relative to what?

Porsche is very good at packaging all of the pieces into a very complete sports car. They are even better at extracting maximum dollars from their customers and giving them a little taste of how much better it will be if you just fork over more money for the next model, the latest upgrade of your current model or any of the various electric, all wheel-drive, hybrid or other SUV models that will find a way into your driveway or garage.

We've had a few Porsches and my fondest memories are of the first one, a 200 hp 1999 Boxster with 5-speed manual and the 265 hp 2010 Cayman with PDK. You can see we now have a 385 hp GT4 and are being tempted by the next iteration, the 718 GT4. I don't see a need for a 500 hp GT3 because the Cayman/Boxster package suits me just fine. Would I like to drive a 485 hp GT4RS? Probably not!
???
Just Kidding, of course I would!
but I can upgrade my GT4 to the 4.5L DeMan for a whole lot less

Last edited by JSF101; 10-25-2020 at 12:39 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-25-2020, 03:24 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 441 Posts

OP, as others have mentioned the concept of 'fast' is subjective. No other person can tell you what car will feel fast or check your boxes of needs/wants. Porsche overall makes decent fast sports cars. The benefit is the overall package you are getting. Reliable engines, good handling, good quality build inside and out.

Most brands have their own characteristics. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a car where you don't have to downshift, where you can just mash the pedal and feel the g force of the acceleration GT4 will not be the car. You'd need something with quite more power to fulfill that need, a turbo engine or V8/V10 will be a much better fit. If you want to be able to drift then a BMW or Mercedes would be a good fit. If you want to hit twisty roads and really lean on the tires and grip GT4 will be just fine. A 911 Turbo would be plenty fast and offer plenty grip in the corners.
Try to go and drive a 981 GT4 at least to get a feel for the car. As another member said, no person who spent over $100k and bought the newest Porsche model is going to talk **** about their car on a Porsche forum
Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM
baege
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 118 Posts

I went from a 981 Cayman S to an M2 Competition.

the M2C has brutal forceful acceleration that the 981S can't possibly compete with

guess which engine I prefer? the 3.4 with its superior sound and instant response

remembering my 981S, it always felt quick enough to be fun, the 4.0 will be even quicker

I don't think you'll be left wanting for power with GT4, but if you drive one you'll know for sure.

when I test drove the 2.7 vs 3.4 cayman, I knew for my driving style I needed the 3.4

Old 10-26-2020, 01:40 PM
Ledfoot
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the privilege of driving with a bunch of skilled Porsche drivers this weekend in the Smokey Mountains. My appreciation and respect went way up for my 718 GT4 as this was the first real test of the cars performance. The car held its own really good but I was the weak link in finding the limits. GT4 has tremendous "pucker power" and I know for certain that my modified C7 Corvette (500 HP to the wheels) would not stand a chance at keeping up in that type of driving. On paper, the GT4 might appear to be underwhelming. Most of the YouTube reviews focus on the exhaust note and long 2nd gear but fall short describing the sensation of speed you get under very technical conditions. This car wont be the fastest in a straight one-mile pull but put 25 - 30 turns in there and it will come down to driver skill and confidence in the equipment. I don't care what the spec sheet says, this car is next level fast for amateur drivers.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:16 PM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

As ludicrous as the question is, I will play. I am buying the gt4 because it is the purest driver's car you can buy. It is neither a top speed nor quarter mile car. For pure power I will jump in my twin turbo corvette with over 1000 whp at 13 psi of boost that did over 200 at Bonneville. Is the gt4 faster than the vette? No, but it still put a big grin on my face when I drive it. Sometimes you just want to carve some curves on a back road. Furthermore, more satisfying because it is harder to dive a slower car fast.
AlexCeres (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 03:46 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by planolemans
As ludicrous as the question is, I will play. I am buying the gt4 because it is the purest driver's car you can buy. It is neither a top speed nor quarter mile car. For pure power I will jump in my twin turbo corvette with over 1000 whp at 13 psi of boost that did over 200 at Bonneville. Is the gt4 faster than the vette? No, but it still put a big grin on my face when I drive it. Sometimes you just want to carve some curves on a back road. Furthermore, more satisfying because it is harder to dive a slower car fast.
this. You could go Miata, which is much cheaper but in all other ways far short. Or a Lotus, but they don’t make them like they used to and the Evora doesn’t offer anything better than a gt4. Or Aston Martin, but again they don’t make them like they used to. In fact, pretty much everyone doesn’t make them like they used to. A situation that’s only going to get a lot worse as hybridization and EV power trains take over.

most of the competitors for road carving and driving experience are in the used market. I was cross shopping with a 996 and 997. Probably will again.
if you also want modern / new, there really aren’t many options
Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

A Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk has the following advantages over a Cayman GT4:
  • More Power
  • Faster 0-60
  • Holds More People
  • Can Tow
  • Costs Less.
Does that mean the 718 is Underpowered? Or not a good value?
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
mr gregash (10-26-2020), wizee (10-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the 718 GT4 underpowered