Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OBD2 Readers and Track Apps

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:00 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OBD2 Readers and Track Apps

I've searched this forum and, surprisingly, wasn't able to find a simple "yes/no" answer to the question of whether an external OBD2 reader can collect data for well-known track apps (Harry's Timer, Race Chrono, Track Addict, etc.), and if so, what sort of data?

I know this common setup has worked in older p-cars and although I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work in the latest generation of p-cars, I would just like to confirm this.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by LDubz735
I've searched this forum and, surprisingly, wasn't able to find a simple "yes/no" answer to the question of whether an external OBD2 reader can collect data for well-known track apps (Harry's Timer, Race Chrono, Track Addict, etc.), and if so, what sort of data?

I know this common setup has worked in older p-cars and although I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work in the latest generation of p-cars, I would just like to confirm this.
the answer is "yes". All the usual telemetry: steering angle, brake, accelerator, rpm ...
Old 10-20-2020, 12:01 AM
NoobPorscheNoob
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do Cayman/Boxster have built in track program like Z06?
Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

Er On my 981 Harry’s can only pick up rpm from OBD. If you wnat more then you need an AIM product with a canbus connection. Lots on the 981 GT4 section about this and, on there, you will find a link to someone who makes a canbus kit.

r
Old 10-20-2020, 08:33 AM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
the answer is "yes". All the usual telemetry: steering angle, brake, accelerator, rpm ...
Originally Posted by Snowy999
Er On my 981 Harry’s can only pick up rpm from OBD. If you wnat more then you need an AIM product with a canbus connection. Lots on the 981 GT4 section about this and, on there, you will find a link to someone who makes a canbus kit.

r
I get everything Larry mentioned from the odb2 Bluetooth reader on my 987, and it is all available in the data feeds Harry’s laptimer outputs. Are you sure you are setup correctly?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:09 AM
LDubz735
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Perfect! In my old car, I couldn't get braking or steering angle, the former being a bigger deficit.

I'm aware of the AIM setup, but I'd just prefer to keep things simpler. There are also a bunch of non-AIM setups (like Race Navigator) that I might consider upgrading to, but w/ my current setup, I have enough data for my needs to help analyze where I can be quicker.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snowy999

r
are you using an approved OBD-II dongle?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 PM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

Perfect! In my old car, I couldn't get braking or steering angle, the former being a bigger deficit.

I'm aware of the AIM setup, but I'd just prefer to keep things simpler. There are also a bunch of non-AIM setups (like Race Navigator) that I might consider upgrading to, but w/ my current setup, I have enough data for my needs to help analyze where I can be quicker.
I’m hearing about a new device Garmin has out. I haven’t checked it out myself yet, but have seen a few things online. Check it out also before deciding.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:12 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Originally Posted by Merlotsj
I’m hearing about a new device Garmin has out. I haven’t checked it out myself yet, but have seen a few things online. Check it out also before deciding.
Do you mean the Garmin Catalyst? https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/690726

AFAIK, there's no OBD2 connection, but Garmin does make products that do have OBD2 compatibility, I just don't know if the Catalyst will. For what it is as an all-in-one product, and at that price, it seems really good, but of course, it's unclear how good the "auto-data analyzing is". I'm guessing the Catalyst is probably sufficient for most ppl who don't necessarily know/want to read the data graphs.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:29 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Do you mean the Garmin Catalyst? https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/690726

AFAIK, there's no OBD2 connection, but Garmin does make products that do have OBD2 compatibility, I just don't know if the Catalyst will. For what it is as an all-in-one product, and at that price, it seems really good, but of course, it's unclear how good the "auto-data analyzing is". I'm guessing the Catalyst is probably sufficient for most ppl who don't necessarily know/want to read the data graphs.
you are correct the Catalyst does no OBD-II ingestion, but arguably it does not need it since it combines GPS w/3-axis accelerometers and video edge detection in order to track location on track ... so it can determine your acceleration etc from that data

FYI there is a thread on the racing forum...
Old 10-21-2020, 05:43 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

The OBD port provides GPS co-ordinates, revs, speed, heading, elevation but not steering angle, throttle opening, gear selected, and other bits and bobs. The difficult Porsche Precision app draws on CANBUS data and has more data than Racelogic systems are able to access.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Readers and Track Apps