Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lots of GT4 inventory

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 09:37 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

My friends dealer had two on the lot and he was asking me since he doesn’t know much about GT4s. Porsche raise the price so much that it’s not a good deal for what your getting. I personally cancelled my order last year and went c8 for a lot less $. Ended up liking it so much that I ordered a z06. I hope Porsche really think long and hard about raising the MSRP so much. Can’t wait to see the specs and price with GT4RS. It’ll be interesting.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
My friends dealer had two on the lot and he was asking me since he doesn’t know much about GT4s. Porsche raise the price so much that it’s not a good deal for what your getting. I personally cancelled my order last year and went c8 for a lot less $. Ended up liking it so much that I ordered a z06. I hope Porsche really think long and hard about raising the MSRP so much. Can’t wait to see the specs and price with GT4RS. It’ll be interesting.
It’s not a good deal for what you’re getting? Not sure your going to get many people to agree with that statement...
The following 2 users liked this post by Knutsm01:
Fxanimator1 (12-11-2020), Spike Spiegel (02-05-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:17 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
I can't think that you would be unhappy with a C8! Anyway, when it comes to pricing Porsche is in a different league as you know, so if you thought that the GT4 was expensive, then you will flip when you see the price for the GT$ R$ !!

(yes I used dollar signs on purpose )
Old 10-16-2020, 10:19 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It's easy to come by only if you're willing to accept the dealers build, which most people aren't at this price. I've seen all the cars listed available in the Bay Area and would have had zero interest in any of them, save for the one at Marin, and I still would have wanted a serious discount on that one because it wasn't close to my preferred build. Porsches are a la carte cars with ridiculous option prices. It's no surprise that dealer builds and/or buyer drops are going to gather dust for while and often have to sell at a discount. Most buyers are unwilling to pay for expensive options that they don't want or take a car without important options they do want. Getting the car you really want is not easy to come by, in the Bay Area or anyway else. Lots of wacky builds out there on AT.

Case in point. My local dealer has two GT4s in stock, but they're $130k builds and both have Aurum wheels. It's going to take a specific buyer for those cars, though they seem to have had no trouble on a similar car already.
The offers I got, were for my specific build on the 2021 PDK spec, not any of the lot cars.

I was just testing the waters and was surprised at how easy it was. I'm waiting to pull the trigger until Q2 2021 though, as my SS 1LE will be paid off then. Right now I am looking at a June 1st order date, with hopefully around a Sept. delivery date.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:26 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Porsche kinda makes up for it on the depreciation side though. A GT4 will retain a lot more of its value than any Corvette will.

I have had 5 Z06's and a SS 1LE and ALL OF THEM were bought at a BIG discount. You paid anywhere close to MSRP on any GM product and you will lose your *** in depreciation. GM has a habit of whoring them out as soon as the hype is gone. You can typically go to a volume Corvette dealer like (Kerbeck) and get 10%-15% off MSRP after the first couple years of a new models release. What do you think that does for resale on the guys who paid sticker??

The following users liked this post:
Fxanimator1 (12-11-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:26 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
Value is in the eye of the beholder. Could have got 2 base C8s for the cost of my Spyder that just arrived port ... and yet here we are.

Oh, probably should include I have 16 years of Z06 enjoyment to include my C7 Z06/7 M7 sold last month. Fast hell yes, capable hell yes—-sadly not special and a numb ride.

But.But.C8. Lol don’t care...but hey less $$$$$$
The following 4 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
843Spyder (10-31-2020), CaymanCarver (10-18-2020), tigerhonaker (12-25-2020), WhiteHotPepper (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 PM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Porsche kinda makes up for it on the depreciation side though. A GT4 will retain a lot more of its value than any Corvette will.

You paid anywhere close to MSRP on any GM product and you will lose your *** in depreciation.
Not with the C8, I actually sold it to a different dealer for 20k over msrp. Now just waiting for my GT4RS or GT3.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
Not with the C8, I actually sold it to a different dealer for 20k over msrp. Now just waiting for my GT4RS or GT3.
Not unusual for new release Corvette generations - models to trade above MSRP for a period of time.

You did well.

Doubtful the new owner will do the same. In short order there will be 10s thousands and eventually 150-200K units.

Look to previous gens for depreciation curves...C8 will follow closely.
Chester7 (02-03-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:38 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtr
This is just temporary. I am not talking about flipping a car. I am talking about buying a car to drive and have for a length of time.

The C8 currently has several factors that are artificially inflating demand and its price... Covid, stop sells, recalls, and they are behind in manufacturing. As soon as those bottle necks subside, those who paid top dollar and going to lose a lot of money.

Every Corvette generation goes thru this, the C8 more so though because of Covid, but trust me, GM vehicles do NOT hold their value for long.

Last edited by TRZ06; 10-16-2020 at 11:40 PM.
tigerhonaker (12-25-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:05 AM
gtr
Racer

This is just temporary.
You're probably right but on the flip side when we upgrade to latest greatest GT cars the rise in MSRP is almost the same as depreciation but still cheaper than most normal cars i guess.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:45 AM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Two weeks ago on cargurus, it showed 104 gt4's, this morning it was 96, so they aren't selling that fast. I talked to dealer northern cal last week, they want $20,000 adm, I laughed and said no thanks. I think your gonna see prices drop, because a few factors, 1) the 2021 gt4's are landing at LA Port now, they have to wait for CARB, but they will be on lots in 4 to 8 weeks, 2) People will want to buy 2021 models 3) Some are waiting for pdk, 4) I also think the used sports car market is cooling off, fewer buyers.

Last few days, 2 dealers offered me below msrp.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche444:
CaymanCarver (10-18-2020), tigerhonaker (12-25-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:49 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Two weeks ago on cargurus, it showed 104 gt4's, this morning it was 96, so they aren't selling that fast. I talked to dealer northern cal last week, they want $20,000 adm, I laughed and said no thanks. I think your gonna see prices drop, because a few factors, 1) the 2021 gt4's are landing at LA Port now, they have to wait for CARB, but they will be on lots in 4 to 8 weeks, 2) People will want to buy 2021 models 3) Some are waiting for pdk, 4) I also think the used sports car market is cooling off, fewer buyers.

Last few days, 2 dealers offered me below msrp.
A third of those cars on AT and Cargurus aren’t even real inventory, they’re scrapes.

Dealers will discount crap builds with bloat, which really isn’t a discount at all.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:58 AM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
A third of those cars on AT and Cargurus aren’t even real inventory, they’re scrapes.

Dealers will discount crap builds with bloat, which really isn’t a discount at all.
Perhaps, but i would disagree, I have reached out to dealers on about 20 to 30 builds i liked in the last 2-3 weeks, they were all in stock and ready to sell. And as of today, I think only 1 or 2 sold. Is cargurus perfect, no, but you can still gauge supply/demand and whats coming in. And I check AT and Cars.com. I'm in Southern California and there are lots of gt4 sitting on dealer lots.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:15 AM
Regul8415
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, THIS!!

California is its own economy, and even within California, So. Cal and Silicon Valley are yet in another bubble economy.

Lots of money in both locations and lots of high end dealers catering to them.

I contacted 2 local dealers 2 weeks ago and both wanted to take my GT4 order that day and one even went $500 under MSRP without any negotiating. Now, the market may be a little different for the Spyder, but the GT4 (at least in the Bay Area) is easy to come by.
mind sharing which dealer is offering under msrp?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Regul8415
mind sharing which dealer is offering under msrp?
Probably not publicly yet. No dealer wants to be the first one to crack the dam, but looks like it may be coming this winter. If sp500 stops making new highs, the dam will break on its own.

Quick Reply: Lots of GT4 inventory