Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lots of GT4 inventory

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 04:45 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Christmas50
I've noticed the same thing. Useless options drive up MSRP's and people don't care for them. I think they are going to start discounting some of those cars pretty soon. Again JMO

Possibly not. Looks like Germany is going into partial/full shutdown again due to COVID cases going up.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:28 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Possibly not. Looks like Germany is going into partial/full shutdown again due to COVID cases going up.
Where did you see that? I cannot find any reference to a shutdown. Furthermore, the 16 German States have veto rights over a federal edict and they are using it.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Yes, I understand that an auto contract and deposit are not legally binding in California -- but do you still not enter into a signed purchase agreement with costing information?
No, you sign a deposit agreement, which means nothing other than documenting that you made a deposit in case it needs to be refunded.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 600 Posts

This generation GT4/Spyder are not selling as well as previous generation.
IMO multiple reasons :
The first gen was a novelty, so demand was higher . Similar situation happened with BMW M2 , and Mustang GT350
More options are available at the price range. 911.1 GT3 , MB GTS, MC 650 , 570 etc I know they are all different cars, but more options decrease demand as people consider/buy other options
Possible economy downturn related to Covid... Not a lot of people are spending 120 k on a weekend car
Having said that, they are still selling well and they are very good cars for the money.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

California from SF down to SD constitutes the majority of the high-end car market in the US. Not surprised to see this. How many GT4 and Spyders do you think there are in Arkansas or Nebraska?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Where did you see that? I cannot find any reference to a shutdown. Furthermore, the 16 German States have veto rights over a federal edict and they are using it.
Mentioned on CNBC today.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:12 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, you sign a deposit agreement, which means nothing other than documenting that you made a deposit in case it needs to be refunded.
Wow...so you don’t know what you’re paying until your car arrives and you’re sitting in finance? Yikes...not my cup of tea
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
California from SF down to SD constitutes the majority of the high-end car market in the US. Not surprised to see this. How many GT4 and Spyders do you think there are in Arkansas or Nebraska?

Yep, THIS!!

California is its own economy, and even within California, So. Cal and Silicon Valley are yet in another bubble economy.

Lots of money in both locations and lots of high end dealers catering to them.

I contacted 2 local dealers 2 weeks ago and both wanted to take my GT4 order that day and one even went $500 under MSRP without any negotiating. Now, the market may be a little different for the Spyder, but the GT4 (at least in the Bay Area) is easy to come by.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Wow...so you don’t know what you’re paying until your car arrives and you’re sitting in finance? Yikes...not my cup of tea
You know what you're paying, because you agree to that up front, you just don't have a legally binding agreement that compels either party to complete the transaction. Note, dealers don't typically pull out of these things. It's there to protect the consumer.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Yep, THIS!!

California is its own economy, and even within California, So. Cal and Silicon Valley are yet in another bubble economy.

Lots of money in both locations and lots of high end dealers catering to them.

I contacted 2 local dealers 2 weeks ago and both wanted to take my GT4 order that day and one even went $500 under MSRP without any negotiating. Now, the market may be a little different for the Spyder, but the GT4 (at least in the Bay Area) is easy to come by.
It's easy to come by only if you're willing to accept the dealers build, which most people aren't at this price. I've seen all the cars listed available in the Bay Area and would have had zero interest in any of them, save for the one at Marin, and I still would have wanted a serious discount on that one because it wasn't close to my preferred build. Porsches are a la carte cars with ridiculous option prices. It's no surprise that dealer builds and/or buyer drops are going to gather dust for while and often have to sell at a discount. Most buyers are unwilling to pay for expensive options that they don't want or take a car without important options they do want. Getting the car you really want is not easy to come by, in the Bay Area or anyway else. Lots of wacky builds out there on AT.

Case in point. My local dealer has two GT4s in stock, but they're $130k builds and both have Aurum wheels. It's going to take a specific buyer for those cars, though they seem to have had no trouble on a similar car already.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-16-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:36 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You know what you're paying, because you agree to that up front, you just don't have a legally binding agreement that compels either party to complete the transaction. Note, dealers don't typically pull out of these things. It's there to protect the consumer.
Oh ok, so you have a purchase agreement. I already acknowledged such above that it’s not legally binding. Jeez no need to obfuscate
Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Oh ok, so you have a purchase agreement. I already acknowledged such above that it’s not legally binding. Jeez no need to obfuscate
You said 'so you don't know what you're paying'. Which is not correct.

Here's how it works. I go down to my dealer, ask for an allocation, they give it to me. We agree on a price and a deposit. I put down the deposit and we sign a form that documents that I have left them a deposit for a car. The price of the car is not on that form, and it wouldn't matter if it was, because it's not a purchase agreement under California law. The agreement on price is based on their word, however, I've never, ever heard of a California dealer reneging on it and pulling a car from a buyer. That would be super bad form and extremely unusual. The buyer has an agreed car and price, just not the ability to legally enforce it - business reputation does that for them. What they do have is the ability to walk away whenever they want before the moment they pick up the car.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-16-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Here's how it works. I go down to my dealer, ask for an allocation, they give it to me. We agree on a price and a deposit. I put down the deposit and we sign a form that documents that I have left them a deposit for a car. The price of the car is not on that form, and it wouldn't matter if it was, because it's not a purchase agreement under California law. The agreement on price is based on their word, however, I've never, ever heard of a California dealer reneging on it and pulling a car from a buyer. That would be super bad form and extremely unusual. The buyer has an agreed car and price, just not the ability to legally enforce it - business reputation does that for them. What they do have is the ability to walk away whenever they want before the moment they pick up the car.
So this is part (or possibly most) of the reason there are 9 GT4's sitting at Porsche San Diego, buyers simply decided 'nah, not today'? Considering the overwhelming opinion that most of these GT cars stuck on the lots are bloated with options or colour combinations that many find objectionable it kind of leaves the dealer holding the bag doesn't it?
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Bartleby7334 (10-18-2020), Chester7 (02-03-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 08:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So this is part (or possibly most) of the reason there are 9 GT4's sitting at Porsche San Diego, buyers simply decided 'nah, not today'? Considering the overwhelming opinion that most of these GT cars stuck on the lots are bloated with options or colour combinations that many find objectionable it kind of leaves the dealer holding the bag doesn't it?
Yup. Though I imagine a fair number of them are dealer builds rather than customer cars. Who knows.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:12 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Could have just said deposit receipt and verbal agreement...brevity is always appreciated!

Quick Reply: Lots of GT4 inventory