Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder interior options

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:53 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I get the preference for leather for the steering wheel and shifter which is a free option, but shouldn't alcantara provide more grip (less sliding) vs leather on the seats? Also cooler in hot weather under the sun and warmer when weather is cold on first contact? Again, I've never had it but I've heard this mentioned before.
pity those options screw up the deviated stitching.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Who are all these people with sweaty greasy hands? For F’sake people little hygiene and you and the alcantara will be fine.

My last set of flight boots in the USAF were synthetic suede...and they wore/cleaned up great even in austere desert oasis’s. Lol...
For the record, I don't have sweaty hands, a sweaty back, nor sweat behind my knees unless it's like 100F with 75%+ humidty but we all do have naturally occurring oils on our skin; some more than others. With time, a little bit of oil will still make the alcantara look less than brand new and will require at least a little more care to clean them to bring it back to original luster whereas leather just requires a wipe down.

After all, alcanatara is still a fiber although synthetic.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:11 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
pity those options screw up the deviated stitching.
If you go with a no cost non leather interior you’ll be fine going leather...but to your point if leather deviated the leather wheel will look out of place. —- and no deviated on the leather wheel.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:13 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I get the preference for leather for the steering wheel and shifter which is a free option, but shouldn't alcantara provide more grip (less sliding) vs leather on the seats? Also cooler in hot weather under the sun and warmer when weather is cold on first contact? Again, I've never had it but I've heard this mentioned before.
Alcanatara definitely helps with movement around in your seat and that's primarily why they're used in racing applications. Race cars are not worried about longevity and appearance because they want the function of being held in place and replace for the next race.

In a street car, there will be give and take between both surface options. It just really depends what you're most concerned with.

Leather:
1. gives the appearance of luxury
2. easy to maintain and clean
3. will slide around on seat but not a concern if you have the LWBS
4. can be hot under the sun
5. more color options and stitching patterns available

Alcantara:
1. gives the appearance of being sporty and racy
2. will not slide around in the seat
3. can wear down and matte down with dirt, grime, and skin oils
4. might irritate your skin if you're sensitive to the "fabirc"
5. generally an additional cost on many cars
Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Compared to leather, I think it's more work to maintain. We have leather in all of our cars and other than the occasional wipe down, leather is super easy to maintain. Alcantara/Race-Tex although generally easy to maintain still requires a little more effort. I don't especially like it in high wear/traffic areas such as the seat cushion and seat back as I think it will wear down and become matted down. On the steering wheel, which is another high touch area especially with the oils on your hands, it can matte down and not look"fluffy" like when new. I removed as much of it as I could afford to remove. Steering wheel is free to change to leather so definitely took that option. You can do a search on you tube and you'll find some videos of how to clean alcantara like on steering wheels.
I think each has it's advantages. Alcantara won't develop creases, for instance, and is never too hot or too cold. If you have heated seats, they are more effective through Alcantara. It does take more effort to maintain, although from an actual time perspective, no more time than putting leather cleaner and conditioner on a full leather interior. With Alcantara, only the seats and steering wheel require any type of maintenance. Alcantara traps less odor than leather. With leather, you have to at least apply conditioner to all the surfaces to keep them from drying out. I usaully "scrub" my Alcantara surfaces with an interior cleaner and a microfiber towel, then vacuum. It you want to restore the "fluffiness", try like 400 grit sandpaper. I wouldn't recommend alcantara for a steering wheel on a daily driver. As others have pointed out, it will get just too matted down in this application.

Last edited by VVG; 10-15-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Leather wheel and shifter with alcantara seat and low touch surfaces seems to be a nice compromise solution for a backroads carver (smth between a DD and a garage queen) — the middle way, enjoying a bit of advantages of both alcantara and leather, OCD stitching inconsistencies notwithstanding.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I think each has it's advantages. Alcantara won't develop creases, for instance, and is never too hot or too cold. If you have heated seats, they are more effective through Alcantara. It does take more effort to maintain, although from an actual time perspective, no more time than putting leather cleaner and conditioner on a full leather interior. With Alcantara, only the seats and steering wheel require any type of maintenance. Alcantara traps less odor than leather. With leather, you have to at least apply conditioner to all the surfaces to keep them from drying out. I usaully "scrub" my Alcantara surfaces with an interior cleaner and a microfiber towel, then vacuum. It you want to restore the "fluffiness", try like 400 grit sandpaper. I wouldn't recommend alcantara for a steering wheel on a daily driver. As others have pointed out, it will get just too matted down in this application.
Do not scrub or sand Alcantara fabrics, you will do irreparable damage to the material!

Like any surface proper cleaning is essential and so is using the right product to do the job. 8+ years with Alcantara on the steering wheel and shifter, seats as well, no problem what so ever taking care of it, IMHO just like leather there is a process, no harder but like leather requires the right products!

I recommend Sonax cleaner with a clean microfiber towel, their brush will restore the fluffy surface, check out the additional info tab at this link: https://www.sonaxusa.com/upholstery-...a-cleaner.html

Personally I like the look and feel of Alcantara, warm when it is cold out, never hot like a leather wheel in the sun and has been mentioned the supplemental heat systems work well with it.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:16 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

I do with there was a nice carmelly brown leather or leather/alcantara option for the spyder. Red spyder with rich brown leather would be killer.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:28 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks very much for such complete info RE deleting the alcantara. I’d not thought of recovering the inserts in the LWBS.

Does anybody have any Inside info (or informed speculation) about new / expanded interior choices on these models? Cheers.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
Thanks very much for such complete info RE deleting the alcantara. I’d not thought of recovering the inserts in the LWBS.

Does anybody have any Inside info (or informed speculation) about new / expanded interior choices on these models? Cheers.
There isn't any. Only change for 2021 is the addition of PDK and possibly a replacement for Miami blue.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
There isn't any. Only change for 2021 is the addition of PDK and possibly a replacement for Miami blue.
And from what I saw a slight increase in the base price but from my build comparison from 2020 to 2021 the option prices remained the same.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:36 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
1) I’ve gone through all the options but can’t see - Is there ANY way to delete the ‘Race-Tex’ on the seats? You can at least get it off the steering wheel.
That stuff is the **** carpet of the modern era IMHO.

2) Does anyone have inside info RE the possibility of additional (leather) interiors on the Spyder / GT4? It’s really slim pickings now.

Thanks in advance.
I love me some Alcantara... grips like cloth and then some, balances out OD’ing with all-leather on an interior.

Have a tough time comparing this to **** carpet...

The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 02:00 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Jim Rockford;16967730] I love me some Alcantara...

Hey Jimmy
You still got your place on Paradise Cove, over by The Sand Castle? I’d love to see that decorated in soft gold alcantara. Way better than ****. You’re right about that.
Anyhow, I left a message on your answering machine. I’ve got a line on some hot TVs. Gimme a call.
Angel.

Last edited by RennlistTomE; 10-16-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quick Reply: Spyder interior options