Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder interior options

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:20 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Spyder interior options

1) I’ve gone through all the options but can’t see - Is there ANY way to delete the ‘Race-Tex’ on the seats? You can at least get it off the steering wheel.
That stuff is the **** carpet of the modern era IMHO.

2) Does anyone have inside info RE the possibility of additional (leather) interiors on the Spyder / GT4? It’s really slim pickings now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
1) I’ve gone through all the options but can’t see - Is there ANY way to delete the ‘Race-Tex’ on the seats? You can at least get it off the steering wheel.
That stuff is the **** carpet of the modern era IMHO.

2) Does anyone have inside info RE the possibility of additional (leather) interiors on the Spyder / GT4? It’s really slim pickings now.

Thanks in advance.
Regular seats, not that I know of, LWBS for sure, the cushions can be covered in the material of your choice for a fee...
Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

One of the negatives of the Spyder/GT4 cars vs the GTS 4.0. I don't think that you can totally nuke the ultrasuede without throwing a lot of money at it.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:11 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

CXX would be your friend.

You can do wherever leather you want.

Expect to pay good money for it though.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

I'm not aware of anyway you can "remove"/option out the Race-Tex with the normal available options. As mentioned above, one indirect way of removing the Race-Tex is to select the full carbon buckets and then easily switch out the middle inserts with aftermarket inserts.

Another way is to go through Porsche's CXX options. I'm not aware of any other CXX option that would allow modifications to the seat except to pay the full estimate of about $8900 for custom seat treatment. At this point, you'd be able to remove all the Race-Tex and replace with leather or your choice, change the stitching color, change the headrest embroidery, etc. Again, it would be a full seat customization at this point but it's very expensive.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:35 PM
ff2kracer
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
CXX would be your friend.
Can confirm; I have a Spyder underway with the Race-Tex removed: CXX projects for Seats, Lower Dash, Doors, Shifter and Center Console.

Steering wheel, visor, and dash via standard leather options.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 09:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

GTS 4.0 has options to remove all race-tex for free. What's with all the animosity against it anyway? What am I missing? I've never had it in my cars.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:13 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
GTS 4.0 has options to remove all race-tex for free. What's with all the animosity against it anyway? What am I missing? I've never had it in my cars.
I’ve paid extra for it on other cars, so happy to get it free!
AviBen (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
There is worry about wear and matting. I think you can clean and maintain it just like leather.

I don’t mind it.

Could be psychology? You want what you can’t get?
Old 10-14-2020, 11:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Compared to leather, I think it's more work to maintain. We have leather in all of our cars and other than the occasional wipe down, leather is super easy to maintain. Alcantara/Race-Tex although generally easy to maintain still requires a little more effort. I don't especially like it in high wear/traffic areas such as the seat cushion and seat back as I think it will wear down and become matted down. On the steering wheel, which is another high touch area especially with the oils on your hands, it can matte down and not look"fluffy" like when new. I removed as much of it as I could afford to remove. Steering wheel is free to change to leather so definitely took that option. You can do a search on you tube and you'll find some videos of how to clean alcantara like on steering wheels.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Compared to leather, I think it's more work to maintain. We have leather in all of our cars and other than the occasional wipe down, leather is super easy to maintain. Alcantara/Race-Tex although generally easy to maintain still requires a little more effort. I don't especially like it in high wear/traffic areas such as the seat cushion and seat back as I think it will wear down and become matted down. On the steering wheel, which is another high touch area especially with the oils on your hands, it can matte down and not look"fluffy" like when new. I removed as much of it as I could afford to remove. Steering wheel is free to change to leather so definitely took that option. You can do a search on you tube and you'll find some videos of how to clean alcantara like on steering wheels.
wear driving gloves!
AviBen (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 PM
ff2kracer
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Could be psychology? You want what you can’t get?
100%!!

I envision the Spyder with a very tailored interior, and personally don't think an abundance of Race-Tex provides that look -- it's sort of shaggy. Ultimately, I was willing to pay to have the car I want... plenty of psychology at work there for sure.

That said, I had Alcantara seats in a prior car and found it to be comfortable and no problem to maintain.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I get the preference for leather for the steering wheel and shifter which is a free option, but shouldn't alcantara provide more grip (less sliding) vs leather on the seats? Also cooler in hot weather under the sun and warmer when weather is cold on first contact? Again, I've never had it but I've heard this mentioned before.
n4v4nod (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:38 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
wear driving gloves!
Sorry but wearing driving gloves on the street is tacky especially with sponsorship logos IMO. Why not take it even further and wear a full racing suit? Then you wouldn't have to worry about your back sweat and the sweat behind your knees messing up the alcantara on the seats.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Who are all these people with sweaty greasy hands? For F’sake people little hygiene and you and the alcantara will be fine.

My last set of flight boots in the USAF were synthetic suede...and they wore/cleaned up great even in austere desert oasis’s. Lol...
bcstorm (10-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Spyder interior options