Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

i am in

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 02:06 PM
Vgj
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

You ain't old until you're dead.

Great spec! Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

My advice is that if your preference is for a sports car but with a bit of comforting options, then the GT4 is not for you. While the GT4 is a sports car, but it is more designed as a track car. Although Porsche is developing the GT4 loaded with options to attract more buyers, but the fundamental design of the GT4 is lightweight, mid-engine and emphasis on being more connected between the car and driver. In fact, if you go for any HPDE event you'll find a lot of GT4s that the owners elect very little options on it. Their pure preference is for the track with none of the luxury laden options that diminishes performance.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:50 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
My advice is that if your preference is for a sports car but with a bit of comforting options, then the GT4 is not for you. While the GT4 is a sports car, but it is more designed as a track car. Although Porsche is developing the GT4 loaded with options to attract more buyers, but the fundamental design of the GT4 is lightweight, mid-engine and emphasis on being more connected between the car and driver. In fact, if you go for any HPDE event you'll find a lot of GT4s that the owners elect very little options on it. Their pure preference is for the track with none of the luxury laden options that diminishes performance.

Don't listen to this guy. Get what you want and everybody's tolerance is specific to them. You can't make blanket statements like that.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:52 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Congrats! In case you didn't get the memo, 65 is the new 45 so you have plenty of cars left in your lifetime.
So 45 the new 25 then?
The following users liked this post:
The_West (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:59 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

deleted.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 10-13-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:00 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Don't listen to this guy. Get what you want and everybody's tolerance is specific to them. You can't make blanket statements like that.
You offer absolutely no advice and yet advice others not to take advice from others. Way to go to shut down other people's advice just because you disagree but offer no valid reasons. People come to this forum to seek advice and my 2 cents is what I think. If there is anything wrong with that, state your opinion instead of just offering sarcastic stupidity.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:24 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

I disagree. What's the matter with having a car that has the performance attributes of a GT4 and has some comfort features. To me, this is a win-win. In terms of having a track car, even the GT4 isn't a full track car. It is a road car that is very capable on track without modification. But why does that mean you shouldn't also have a luxury interior, nice music system, etc.

Unless you are in race for money, the only thing that matters is the subjective driving experience, so why not have track level performance capability and some creature comforts that really don't hinder real world performance. I guarantee that even the top race car drivers in the world will not be able to pull off a better track time in a base GT4 vs one with leather, Burmester, and full electronics. To think otherwise is just "performance theater".

I also don't consider these cars "luxury laden" as you have described. That would be a Bentley or Aston. Just my opinions, of course.

Last edited by VVG; 10-13-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:37 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

You offer absolutely no advice and yet advice others not to take advice from others. Way to go to shut down other people's advice just because you disagree but offer no valid reasons. People come to this forum to seek advice and my 2 cents is what I think. If there is anything wrong with that, state your opinion instead of just offering sarcastic stupidity.
I don't need to give any advice, but I have enough common courtesy to not tell a guy who just bought his dream car that he bought the wrong car and **** on his parade. Pretty classless IMO and you have no idea what he would find enjoyable.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I disagree. What's the matter with having a car that has the performance attributes of a GT4 and have some comfort features. To me, this is a win-win. In terms of having a track car, even the GT4 isn't a full track car. It is a road car that is very capable on track without modification. By why does that mean you shouldn't also have a luxury interior, nice music system, etc.

Unless you are in race for money, the only thing that matters is the subjective driving experience, so why not have track level performance capability and some creature comforts that really don't hinder real world performance. I guarantee that even the top race car drivers in the world will not be able to pull off a better track time in a base GT4 vs one with leather, Burmester, and full electronics. To think otherwise is just "performance theater".

I also don't consider these cars "luxury laden" as you have described. That would be a Bentley or Aston. Just my opinions, of course.
+1, as in I disagree too. Nothing wrong with wanting focused, track-level performance in your backroads car. There's a whole spectrum of use and individual preferences between a race car and a DD utility mule, hence a corresponding spectrum of models to satisfy such spectrum of demand. I don't mind it one bit that my 996 GT3 has full leather and that it shines equally on both track and backroads, even though it wouldn't be my preferred car for a 5 hour highway trip.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:52 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
So 45 the new 25 then?
Doesn't go linear like that all the way to zero but close enough. There's no biological reason for a human not to be capable and active until death into very old age. Most of what people view as "aging" is just accumulated and compounded damage from their destructive diets and lifestyles.
patdonahue (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:53 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VVG
I disagree. What's the matter with having a car that has the performance attributes of a GT4 and have some comfort features. To me, this is a win-win. In terms of having a track car, even the GT4 isn't a full track car. It is a road car that is very capable on track without modification. By why does that mean you shouldn't also have a luxury interior, nice music system, etc.

I hear you. The GT4 can definitely fulfill both roles as a daily driver as well as a weekend track car. My comment is Porsche has found a way to cross over all their car lineups to come up with redundancy on every model they make. Take for example the 911, there's the base Carrera, the S, the GTS, the Turbo, the Turbo S, the GT2 and GT3s, the GT3RS, the GT2RS. And then there are the Coupe, the Targa and the Cabriolet. Exponentially all these models have the 2 wheel as well as the 4-wheel drive versions. The Cayman is now close behind.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Gentleman, thank you first off for all your comments. like i said i am old and have been around a bit. i appreciate those of you who i think rightfully so told Addict to bugger off. I am thrilled excited about my decision to get into a gt-4. I am blessed I can basically buy anything i want. I at this moment in time have come to the conclusion the gt-4 is the way to go. To sum it up, it is all about the package you are getting loving the naturally aspired high revving flat 6. I am trying to figure out how to do my avatar but here is a list of some of my iron i have pushed around starting at the age of 17 when i saved my lawn cutting snow shoveling money when kids use to do that sorta of thing, so in order excluding my dozen or so motorcycles and my daily work cars and trucks i used for business.
70 Chevelle ss 396 cowl induction, 82 z28 iroc i pulled the engine and put a big block in it that cost me a fortune and was a mistake, 68 427 corvette side pipes ragtop muncie 4 speed, 1995 BMW e 36 m-3 convertible stick, 2001 viper gts i loved the look drove like crap under 100 miles an hour had offset pedals no good, MB c-55, 2008 911 Porsche turbo cab 6 speed massaged a bit, Ford 2017 cobra gt350 oh the sound but compared to my old 911 just aint fair to compare the two, and now cause i am ready to learn to track a car and because i can a GT-4 life is good! i look forward to following all of you.
Z06jerry (10-16-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 04:25 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

space man, congrats to you on your GT4! As a longtime forecaster of many things, I use my analytical skills, knowledge, and keen experience (a little sarcasm here) based on your input to predict that you will absolutely love it! I've had a couple of similar vehicles as compared to your impressive list of cars in your life (I still think the '69 RS Camaro 350 4 speed Le Mans Blue I had was a gift to the car world from the stars), and as obviously a car guy as you are, I think you will appreciate the attributes of this street/back roads/occasional track car. It sounds like an excellent choice for you. Lastly, you are only as old as the limitations life puts on you; it doesn't really sound like you are "old." Lastly, like you, I too shoveled snow as a youth, but did not mow lawns; I was a pool boy and fence maker in the summer. Enjoy your GT4!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You're gonna love it, and if you paid list, you got a fair deal. The car is worth every penny of it.
AlexCeres (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 05:17 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I hear you. The GT4 can definitely fulfill both roles as a daily driver as well as a weekend track car. My comment is Porsche has found a way to cross over all their car lineups to come up with redundancy on every model they make. Take for example the 911, there's the base Carrera, the S, the GTS, the Turbo, the Turbo S, the GT2 and GT3s, the GT3RS, the GT2RS. And then there are the Coupe, the Targa and the Cabriolet. Exponentially all these models have the 2 wheel as well as the 4-wheel drive versions. The Cayman is now close behind.
this is why, ideally, one would test drive a few of the closely related models like the gts 4.0, gt4, spyder and maybe even a Carrera to make one's own judgement about which car is best suited to personal circumstances and common driving.
there are plenty of folks who switch between roof / no roof, or MT / PDK or even something like TTS and gt3. sometimes they learn more about what they didn't know they really wanted, and sometimes life forces a change in driving needs

anyway, the gt4 is awesome. flog it!
Mercuriell (10-13-2020)

Quick Reply: i am in