Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake Disk Coating Peels Of

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:14 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
It’s only been 36h from post... give him a break!🍷Maybe he is a normal person with a life not like me that is always on rennlist... pathological for sure!

Now let’s see these pictures!
Yep, and his post count increased today. Still no pics of what he is talking about.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:43 AM
GT4Faby
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Still no photos? This is like saying, hey doc does this look normal then not dropping your trousers.

I made some pictures for you Guys!

I live in germany and my GT4 is barely since 1 year in daily use.
I use the Autobahn on daily bases but I don't push the car super hard.

Originally Posted by kart125
It’s only been 36h from post... give him a break!🍷Maybe he is a normal person with a life not like me that is always on rennlist... pathological for sure!

Now let’s see these pictures!
To be honest, I'm quiet new here and I lost the thread.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by GT4Faby; 10-14-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

What’s you mileage?

That rotor hub looks almost like sandblasted, just like the lug bolts. Also grooving on rotors? Even the tires have the look of being driven on dirt roads.

I am guessing this is related to lots of high speed cruising on autobahn? Or driving on gravel/ dirt roads?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:36 AM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe some wheel cleaner attacked paint on rotor hat and lug bolts? Repaint?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:58 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

From the pictures you posted your discs look close to end of life (grooved) so wait it out and get new ones soon. Otherwise powdercoating the hat makes it look good for the life of the disc but $$$ for nothing IMO.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:32 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Faby

I made some pictures for you Guys!

I live in germany and my GT4 is barely since 1 year in daily use.
I use the Autobahn on daily bases but I don't push the car super hard.

To be honest, I'm quiet new here and I lost the thread.
OK, that’s the hub, not the disk itself.

Is it peeling or discoloring? The pattern looks weird. It could be from gravel getting stuck or bouncing around in there or from a reaction to some wheel cleaning chemical. Is it just on one wheel or all 4?

What is that groove around the disk itself? Rock stuck in the pad and scoring the disk?

What are those cracks on the fender in upper left corner of pics 1 and 3? Do you have a wrap? Fender looks as if made of clay.

Do you do any high speed driving on gravel? But then wheels would be scored too...
Old 10-14-2020, 09:49 AM
paddlefoot64
Pro

“What are those cracks on the fender in upper left corner of pics 1 and 3? Do you have a wrap? Fender looks as if made of clay.

Do you do any high speed driving on gravel? “ [quote]

Good catch on fender, I didn’t notice that. I’d venture to say, from markings on tire, that owner has gravel drive or uses one.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:01 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

You guys are hilarious... to me it looks like he’s driving in the rain a lot and it’s just road debris on the fender/bumper... if drove in gravel there would be more evidence of it on the wheels. The ring on the disc doesn’t look like a groove... looks like residue from brake pad. Steel rotor hats always have crap paint. Yours look more like they steel wasn’t prepped before painting. Most cars they rust. Take it to the dealer see what they say... if they don’t do anything, I would paint or have someone else paint them.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 10-14-2020 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
arek (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
You guys are hilarious... to me it looks like he’s driving in the rain a lot and it’s just road debris on the fender/bumper... if drove in gravel there would be more evidence of it on the wheels. The ring on the disc doesn’t look like a groove... looks like residue from brake pad. Steel rotor hats always have crap paint. Yours look more like they steel wasn’t prepped before painting. Most cars they rust. Take it to the dealer see what they say... if they don’t do anything, I would paint or have someone else paint them.
I've never seen such "road debris" on fenders. Do you see the cracks on the surface? Are you saying that's caked in dirt? Maybe a wider angle photo showing more of the fenders would help.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

I'll admit I shed a tear when I saw wheels that dirty, the fender has me curious and now what does the rest of this car looks like?

To me the rotor looks like it has seen a lot of heat, the tire looks like material has been hitting the sidewall all over, look at the wheel protector, perhaps an experiment in not/never washing your car?
Old 10-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Sorry, but I don't think there's any way that is debris on the bumper. Look at the pattern. No way that is simply dirt/debris unless it's along the edge of some wrap.

Based on the pictures, I'm going with hard driving in tough conditions plus flaws in the painting/coating on the rotor hats for $200 Alex. By the looks of those rim protectors on the tires, someone's been gotten cozy with a few curbs. And the line on the rotor definitely looks like it was caused by something stuck in the rotor, not simply pad material.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
ekam (10-15-2020), paddlefoot64 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Oh the horror. I never should have pushed for photos. Appears the Autobahn is one cruel mistress.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

i think the paint erosion is driven by a chemical effect not physical. Because the caliper and the wheel coating seem in a good shape.
Could be that the coating material for the rotor hat is particularly susceptible to a chemical on the road or the ph of some element used in the detergent (if a detergent is used).
Hard to tell about the fender, but thats not the OP s question
Old 10-15-2020, 11:49 AM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Seems most rotor hats are either rusting or losing paint. I’ve had this happen on VWs, BMWs, and Porsches. I suppose the heat makes it hard for paint to adhere, but in this case, the splotchiness does seem like chemical damage to finish.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

is it me or are the cracks on the rotors extending out to the edge of the disk itself - I was always under the impression that once either the cracks (from the drill holes) were over a certain length *or* the cracks reached the edge of the disk that Porsche "recommended" rotor replacement???

regardless I'd replace them, especially with that scoring on the rotor surface, not too mention they appear to also be burnished ... wondering how many miles there are on the pads and rotors?

The least of my concerns would be paint flaking off of my rotor hats ... and lets not mention those cracks on the fender - WTF, who doesn't want to see a picture of the rest of the car now?
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
Jim Rockford (10-15-2020), paddlefoot64 (10-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Brake Disk Coating Peels Of