Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

anyone tried an air filter upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 01:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
odd, they are def too long, you get a gap in the filter then you goto turn a few more turns to close the gap and snap off come the lugs.

funny how Versus have used smaller screws. I bet yours lugs have cracked it's unavoidable !
I *suspect* that you may have forgotten to move the black rubber gaskets from the OEM filters to the new ones ... I did this and had to take the BMC's off and do this (again) ... this time with the gaskets installed...
Old 04-19-2022, 03:24 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

I have BMC filters, I was surprised how noticeable the difference is in both sound and throttle response. Nice increase in induction tone on the move, grittier. Throttle response is slightly improved, rev the engine at idle and its most noticeable as there is less 'whoosh' as the air moves more cleanly through the filter.
The following users liked this post:
ACJ74 (09-23-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 05:43 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Guys,

Old thread but new post ...................

I'm going to give the following a try.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18095428

Terry
This post is not meant to be some Wise-*** comments from me.
Just useful information.

Here are some images for you on the Verus components included with their filters.
Plus watch the install video below from Flat 6 Motorsports.

Cayman Air Filter Install (How-To) - By Flat 6 Motorsports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbHYVnHwro&t=2s

I did also consider the BMC filter but after more research between the oiled versus Dry filters.
And talking with Jon Swift (Owner) at Flat 6 MOTORSPORTS.
I went with the Dry Verus filters.

Terry
Guys,

I think I should have added the following information above.
My Baddddddddddd

I went for the Verus Dry filter because I live in Franklin, TN. USA.
The conditions here are not like other places in the USA where there is sandy, dirty etc. conditions.
Also I want be putting thousands of miles on the GT4 every year.
Nor Tracking it ............
I'm going for Maximum Air-Induction Sound and the Dry filter will provide it.

If I was Tracking mine or lived in the States here in the USA with Sandy, Dirty etc. conditions.
And driving thousands of miles every year.
It makes sense to run the BMC oiled filters for the above conditions and uses and Excellent Added Protection.
That's why IMO Porsche has the BMC filters on some of the Porsche Ultra-Performance cars to make sure the engines are Fully Protected under All-Varying conditions.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-19-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Rasputin. (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 08:01 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Guys,

I think I should have added the following information above.
My Baddddddddddd

I went for the Verus Dry filter because I live in Franklin, TN. USA.
The conditions here are not like other places in the USA where there is sandy, dirty etc. conditions.
Also I want be putting thousands of miles on the GT4 every year.
Nor Tracking it ............
I'm going for Maximum Air-Induction Sound and the Dry filter will provide it.

If I was Tracking mine or lived in the States here in the USA with Sandy, Dirty etc. conditions.
And driving thousands of miles every year.
It makes sense to run the BMC oiled filters for the above conditions and uses and Excellent Added Protection.
That's why IMO Porsche has the BMC filters on some of the Porsche Ultra-Performance cars to make sure the engines are Fully Protected under All-Varying conditions.

Terry
I don’t live in dirty conditions, and I will be tracking my GT4, but the OEM filter is not oiled so I figured why put an oiled filter in? I’ve heard about MAF issues from BMW guys but not sure how true or prevalent that is over here. In any case, I think the Verus is appropriate for the GT4. If I had a GT4 RS, I would use the oiled because that’s what comes with it. Thanks for the insight Terry
tigerhonaker (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 11:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Power wise you wont feel anything but if you run a K&N or BMC one of the pluses is that you can take them out and clean them...and believe me, on these mid engine cars you will be doing it every 3-4K miles.
What?! I cannot see why the vast majority of owners need to do anything to them every 3-4k miles.
Larry Cable (09-23-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What?! I cannot see why the vast majority of owners need to do anything to them every 3-4k miles.

Have you taken out the filters at 3K miles? You will find all kind of debris as the side scopes take in all kind of objects from the road.
Sure you could extend them to 6K miles with every other oil change ( and decrease air flow) but I prefer to be on the safe side and I don't mind doing it.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:25 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Have you taken out the filters at 3K miles? You will find all kind of debris as the side scopes take in all kind of objects from the road.
Sure you could extend them to 6K miles with every other oil change ( and decrease air flow) but I prefer to be on the safe side and I don't mind doing it.
jmartpr,

I think it really comes down to where one lives, miles driven, and when one chooses to do or have done their oil & filter changes.
I'm going to keep 1-extra set of the Verus Dry filters and when the next oil & filter takes place have the New Verus Dry filters installed.
I'm not a do it yourself fellow any-longer so mine will take place at Porsche of Nashville.

Terry
Old 04-20-2022, 02:54 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

Filters are actually the most efficient with some dirt in them so right around the half-life point. If you are changing the filters after 3k miles, you are probably throwing them out when they are at their best.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:48 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Filters are actually the most efficient with some dirt in them so right around the half-life point. If you are changing the filters after 3k miles, you are probably throwing them out when they are at their best.

That depends on what you call "some dirt"......trust me if you drive in dirty conditions/track you will want to change them (or clean them if BMC/K&N) at 3-4K.....
Old 04-21-2022, 01:28 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Guys,

Latest Up-Date click on link below if your interested ???

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18100784

Terry
Old 09-23-2022, 08:00 AM
ACJ74
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same opinion after changing the filters - nice easy upgrade. It sounds more RS now….
Old 09-23-2022, 09:05 AM
Frank Torres
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 113 Posts

I just installed these in my GT4 last night
Old 09-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

put 2 BMC filters in my Spyder a few weeks ago, didn't notice much difference in sound yet (due to use of catless headers and unsilenced catback probably).
Didn't find the time to use the throttle properly, had planned to do this this weekend towards the Alps (Glockner Closing on sunday), but trip got cancelled due to snow ...

Positive angle: They won't get dirty this way
Old 09-23-2022, 12:47 PM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Torres
I just installed these in my GT4 last night
And? did you notice anything?

Quick Reply: anyone tried an air filter upgrade