Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
It's not so much about making the connection as much as taking the car apart to get to the connection. But no, it's not all that much work and I've always wanted to see the top of the motor
Seeing the engine is the bonus of the exercise! Plus for me I like the ability to choose always open or OEM programming.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mainiac
Check out the Obsessed Garage video on YouTube posted today (1/5/20) “Soul Performance Valved GT4 Exhaust”. Matt had unplugged his valves for a few weeks and went to install the Soul valve controller with their new valved exhaust. Install was pretty straightforward but when he plugged them back in, the lines would not seat well back on the valve unit. Apparently the lines stretch when first installed and they don’t fit tight enough to maintain the vacuum. As a result the valves didn’t operate correctly. He replaced the lines and all was good. Might be what some on here are experiencing.
The inner lining of the vacuum line is not very pliable, it takes a fair pressure to seal it on the exhaust valve, I wouldn't rely on just a slip on fit. As for the need to replace the line, there is a fair amount of slack, cutting off a cm or two to get a clean end should be possible.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:23 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainiac
Check out the Obsessed Garage video on YouTube posted today (1/5/20) “Soul Performance Valved GT4 Exhaust”. Matt had unplugged his valves for a few weeks and went to install the Soul valve controller with their new valved exhaust. Install was pretty straightforward but when he plugged them back in, the lines would not seat well back on the valve unit. Apparently the lines stretch when first installed and they don’t fit tight enough to maintain the vacuum. As a result the valves didn’t operate correctly. He replaced the lines and all was good. Might be what some on here are experiencing.
watching this "Obsessed Garage" video is painful, he doesn't realize the (SOUL) solenoid is supposed to be inline with the vacuum source and the T connectors leading to the valves. He doesn't seem to know that the valves are kept open by spring pressure until vacuum pulls them closed, the purpose of energizing the additional solenoid is to block the vacuum from the car's controller from pulling the valves closed, thereby overriding the PSE button.

link to the video;

Last edited by Z06jerry; 01-07-2021 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added link to video
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (01-08-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:00 PM
AusGTS4.0
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After a few days of driving with the valves wired open, I do not feel the need for any other exhaust mods. If some are concerned about excessive attention in built up areas, it is pretty easy to modulate the the throttle and control the sound.
The advantages of the wire method as I see it
- Simple, minimal cost, no need to access the engine compartment, or transmission area, avoidance of possible difficulty reattaching vacuum lines, very easy just to remove/replace wires if concerned about Porsche Warranty.

My only question - can any body think of possible harm from valves always open?
The following 2 users liked this post by AusGTS4.0:
joejenie (01-07-2021), slilley (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 01:46 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AusGTS4.0
After a few days of driving with the valves wired open, I do not feel the need for any other exhaust mods.
If you're happy, we're happy!

Originally Posted by AusGTS4.0
If some are concerned about excessive attention in built up areas, it is pretty easy to modulate the the throttle and control the sound.
The advantages of the wire method as I see it
- Simple, minimal cost, no need to access the engine compartment, or transmission area, avoidance of possible difficulty reattaching vacuum lines, very easy just to remove/replace wires if concerned about Porsche Warranty.

My only question - can any body think of possible harm from valves always open?
Not that I am aware of...
Old 01-07-2021, 05:35 AM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wire technique

I have had my Spyder for 800 miles now and have not tried to go beyond 5k but frankly I can't tell the difference between PSE on/off so far. As this thread suggests a significant improvement below 4k with plug or wire , being a non DIY and has never done any mods on any cars I want to give valve wiring a try as it seems the lowest risk option.

May I ask (sorry if sound silly):
1. Is there a valve on both sides that needs to be wired?
2. Do I need to PSE button on or off once valve(s) wired? Does it matter either way? Can I damage anything by having the PSE status either way?
3. Does valve always open affect gas mileage?
The following 2 users liked this post by bubbledragon:
Fxanimator1 (01-07-2021), tigerhonaker (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 10:47 AM
Fxanimator1
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbledragon
I have had my Spyder for 800 miles now and have not tried to go beyond 5k but frankly I can't tell the difference between PSE on/off so far. As this thread suggests a significant improvement below 4k with plug or wire , being a non DIY and has never done any mods on any cars I want to give valve wiring a try as it seems the lowest risk option.

2. Do I need to PSE button on or off once valve(s) wired? Does it matter either way? Can I damage anything by having the PSE status either way?
x's 2 /\ /\ /\. :this:

I'd like to know these answer's as well. I have not not crawled under there yet to look at stuff.
What kind of wire? Is there a video or photo's of someone doing it?

Last edited by Fxanimator1; 01-07-2021 at 10:50 AM.
tigerhonaker (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:09 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 943 Posts

I have had my Spyder for 800 miles now and have not tried to go beyond 5k but frankly I can't tell the difference between PSE on/off so far.
That's the problem... Valves are open at start up then close shortly after. The ECU overrides the PSE button and keeps the valves closed until higher RPMs are achieved (4-5k+). That is why you can't tell a difference.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:45 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

1, yes a valve on each side
2, not sure, I personally see advantages in being able to choose valves open and closed as desired.
3, really? Does it matter, you did buy a performance sports car mileage is not even a consideration for most.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:07 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fxanimator1
x's 2 /\ /\ /\. :this:

I'd like to know these answer's as well. I have not not crawled under there yet to look at stuff.
What kind of wire? Is there a video or photo's of someone doing it?
Guys,

Make me officially the 3rd member wanting to see the answers/replies to the OP concerns/questions ???

I have many times thought about doing a separate thread and asking the same or similar questions.
I didn't as I don't have the GT4 so thought just maybe I'll see someone ask and simply read what others have to say ???

To me it seems like if you have the optional PDK for 2021 and using the Manual-Shifting you can easily be in the RPM range that the Electronics will Automatically Open-the-Exhaust-Valves.
Especially with the 7-Speed PDK having "Shorter-Gearing-Ratios" than the 6-Speed manuals.
And that being the case then No-Need for any Wiring or other Modification ...............

I personally don't want to Change/Modify anything on the GT4 as I don't want any Questions come up over any part of Warranty-Coverage.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-07-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:21 PM
Fxanimator1
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
1, yes a valve on each side
2, not sure, I personally see advantages in being able to choose valves open and closed as desired.
3, really? Does it matter, you did buy a performance sports car mileage is not even a consideration for most.
Just to be clear the "Gas Mileage" question is not a thing for me, as I left a more fuel efficient 2.0 turbo 2018 718 Cayman for this one.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:23 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

I wired the valves open a couple days ago and with the Akro Link pipe, the car sounds perfect for me. Sounds a lot like my 996 GT3. Wire is by far the easiest and cheapest way to fix this.
DFW01TT (01-08-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 08:16 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Just wired my valves open but haven't had a chance to take it for a drive. Pretty easy to do and didn't even have to lift the car or anything. Little sore now though haha. Will let you guys know what I think after a drive.

Last edited by RavinS4; 01-08-2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Meant open oops
Old 01-07-2021, 11:43 PM
AusGTS4.0
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a pic of my DIY wire job.
I found using a thin wire but 3 separate applications gave an easier and sufficiently strong fit
(The wires are applied with the car off and then the valves are in the default open position.)

Last edited by AusGTS4.0; 01-08-2021 at 01:46 AM. Reason: format
The following 2 users liked this post by AusGTS4.0:
Fxanimator1 (01-08-2021), rahtid (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 01:01 AM
RavinS4
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

That looks pretty sturdy on your job. I was able to do it with one strand of wire but if that doesn't hold well enough I am going to go to a couple of strands

Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!