Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 11:54 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

I put the Akropvic link pipes in and then put 6mm grub screws in the vacuum line and then re-attached the vacuum lines. Has anyone found that their valves still close periodically? Like Vacuum is getting past the grub screws? Mine seem to get vacuum still about 50% of the time when I'm driving above 40 mph and it goes quiet again. Or I'm deaf and need more sound. haha. Next move is to disconnect and tie the vacuum lines up and put covers on the valves I guess. I'm not interested in the Cargraphics wire job. Too much work.
The following users liked this post:
Freud (07-22-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 11:59 PM
jqmesembry
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I put the Akropvic link pipes in and then put 6mm grub screws in the vacuum line and then re-attached the vacuum lines. Has anyone found that their valves still close periodically? Like Vacuum is getting past the grub screws? Mine seem to get vacuum still about 50% of the time when I'm driving above 40 mph and it goes quiet again. Or I'm deaf and need more sound. haha. Next move is to disconnect and tie the vacuum lines up and put covers on the valves I guess. I'm not interested in the Cargraphics wire job. Too much work.
What do you plan to use to cover the valves?
Old 01-04-2021, 12:04 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

No clue yet. Haven't thought through it yet. Maybe the best solution is some sealant like this https://zcardepot.com/products/ultra...UaAmGNEALw_wcB

Last edited by joejenie; 01-04-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:43 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Same problem with my grub screws, I am going to try wiring my valves closed!
Old 01-04-2021, 02:06 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Too much work? One connector and a ground is too much work to provision remote valve control... With all of the effort so far you could have been done hours ago!
n4v4nod (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:46 AM
AusGTS4.0
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also just put wires to keep the valves open. The sound difference is very noticeable under 4k RPM.
Very happy for an almost no cost option and less than 10 minutes easy work.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM
jqmesembry
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, it almost sounds like the valves are stuck closed. Not quite sure what I could have done incorrectly.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:19 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Too much work? One connector and a ground is too much work to provision remote valve control... With all of the effort so far you could have been done hours ago!
Not quite. Took about 5 minutes to put in the grub screws and will take another 4 minutes to put in some sealant. I have big hands, so I know the Cargraphics one would be a nightmare for me. Not intersted in taking it apart that much either. I do agree the Cargraphics set up is probably the best option though until someone comes up with a tune to make the button work like it should.
Westcoast (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:43 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Cargraphic isn't the only solution, Soul has one that's a bit less cumbersome to install but still more than simply pulling the hoses of the valves. I would resist using any sealant on either the hose or the valve, plug and tape over the hose and use a high temp plug on the valve.

tigerhonaker (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:51 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

It's not so much about making the connection as much as taking the car apart to get to the connection. But no, it's not all that much work and I've always wanted to see the top of the motor
Old 01-05-2021, 01:45 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to just plug ziptie the lines out of the way with the grub screw in them rather than plug them in? Problem solved right?
Ramon Vennik (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:43 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
Cargraphic isn't the only solution, Soul has one that's a bit less cumbersome to install but still more than simply pulling the hoses of the valves. I would resist using any sealant on either the hose or the valve, plug and tape over the hose and use a high temp plug on the valve.

I agree. Decided against putting sealant in the hose. Giong to go ahead and just wire it open. If I hate it, I will reluctantly buy a cargraphic system.

I also looked for the plug system on the Soul website, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Last edited by joejenie; 01-05-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

That is certainly in there too, but the valves are also being controlled at start-up.
+1 they are open at startup ... then close about 60secs later when ECU drops idle rpm...
Old 01-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Mainiac
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out the Obsessed Garage video on YouTube posted today (1/5/20) “Soul Performance Valved GT4 Exhaust”. Matt had unplugged his valves for a few weeks and went to install the Soul valve controller with their new valved exhaust. Install was pretty straightforward but when he plugged them back in, the lines would not seat well back on the valve unit. Apparently the lines stretch when first installed and they don’t fit tight enough to maintain the vacuum. As a result the valves didn’t operate correctly. He replaced the lines and all was good. Might be what some on here are experiencing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mainiac:
santiago660 (12-26-2022), tigerhonaker (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 08:03 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree. Decided against putting sealant in the hose. Giong to go ahead and just wire it open. If I hate it, I will reluctantly buy a cargraphic system.

I also looked for the plug system on the Soul website, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?
I purchased the Cargrapic from Supreme Power today but here is the link for the Soul kit.
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-7...ontroller-kit/

Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!