Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Considering Selling My 718 GT4... Is Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by wcw67
This has got to be the funniest Archimedes post I've read lolol!
+1!
Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oo7ml
After 9 months of ownership, I’m considering selling my GT4 for a number of reasons.

I think it is one of the nicest GT Porsche’s to look at of all time, and it handles incredibly well... but all round, the car is just not doing it for me on two levels, which are the most important areas to me.

01 - Sound: Yes, I know we are all tired of listening to people giving out about the sound or lack of sound, but it is just shocking how bad the car sounds, especially when you accelerate hard. My 3.0 petrol Cayenne sounds much better, and that’s simply not right. I should not have to put an aftermarket exhaust on the car, and I am not interested in doing so.

02 - Acceleration / Responsiveness: both my Cayman S and GTS felt much quicker off the line. The GT4 feels like it actually has more lag than the turboed GTS. Again, my 30 year old Testarossa feels faster off the line. Yes, I know the GT4 can produce good track times, but I drive my GT4 on a daily basis and I just can’t find the power it should have, when I want it.

Simply put, I expect better sound and acceleration from a GT car... as for me, they make the soul of the car, and the GT4 just lacks the usual flat 6 NA Porsche soul.

A bit of context around my Cayman experience and ownership... I had a 981 Cayman S for 2 years, then a 718 GTS for 2 years, and now the 718 GT4 for almost a year. I am not into tracking my cars, but I do love to take my cars for spirited drives on quite roads.

I have my name down for a GT4 RS if they do happen to ever release it (let’s not start that debate), but overall I’m curious to know if any other 718 GT4 / Spyder owners feel the same about their car?
you can solve the exhaust problem by joining the group buy of an Akrapovic system... much cheaper than buying a new car!

you're welcome!

The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

The GT4 isn't for everyone, you should definitely sell it if you don't enjoy driving it.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:37 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
The GT4 isn't for everyone, you should definitely sell it if you don't enjoy driving it.
Why sell something he hates so much? Just burn it to the ground.
The following 3 users liked this post by JAhmed:
CaymanMatt (09-20-2020), Pokerhobo (09-20-2020), zmah (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 08:41 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
Op made the same thread on piston head forum. This has to be a troll thread lmao!
well I usually spot the the troll threads... but this one I got sucked into!

the good news is that all the other posts confirm the 4.0 is not the turd the OP trollingly suggests it is!

meeus (12-16-2021)
Old 09-20-2020, 09:18 AM
oo7ml
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the replies to those of you who had something positive to comment about... but wow... I didn't realise there were so many grumpy people on the other hand, on this forum... wow.

If you read my post again, you'll learn that I said other cars 'FEEL' like they are faster when they are clearly NOT on paper... calm down!

This is just my honest opinion on the car... it's still a great car, but it's just not doing it for me. Not enough people give their true honest opinion on the forum... I've tried too, but clearly have upset a few people.
The following 4 users liked this post by oo7ml:
BSO (09-21-2020), handful (09-21-2020), Traind (02-15-2021), usrodeo4 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Thanks for the replies to those of you who had something positive to comment about... but wow... I didn't realise there were so many grumpy people on the other hand, on this forum... wow.

If you read my post again, you'll learn that I said other cars 'FEEL' like they are faster when they are clearly NOT on paper... calm down!

This is just my honest opinion on the car... it's still a great car, but it's just not doing it for me. Not enough people give their true honest opinion on the forum... I've tried too, but clearly have upset a few people.
It takes courage to voice a dissenting opinion. I applaud you for that.

Since it is subjective, there is no right or wrong.

Objectively, the 4.0 should be faster.

Maybe you are a turbo guy, nothing wrong with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dyim:
JC Lacayo (09-21-2020), usrodeo4 (09-21-2020), Vgj (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 09:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

It's no fun when no one gets upset. Going downhill on a bicycle at 40mph feels much faster than any of the cars you mentioned. Give it a try.
The following 4 users liked this post by hf1:
AlexCeres (09-20-2020), evilfij (09-20-2020), maschinetheist (11-20-2022), Russian Mafia (09-21-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:17 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Objectively, the 4.0 should be faster.
That is the operative word here; objectively. I came back from a DE where I was grouped with a 718 GT4 driven by an experienced instructor/racer. Major difference were only the tires: RE71Rs (me), MPSC2s (him). Neither one of us could lose the other. Distance between us stayed the same no matter who was leading, Lap times similar as well.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

If you want the FEELING of speed, I can tell you that my friend's Honda Talon feels much faster than my GT4 even going just 30 mph because it's loud and has no windshield. For a car, what makes you feel fast is torque. Seems like you prefer a turbo car because after the turbos spool you get a rush of torque and power. The GT4 having a naturally aspirated engine and tuned for high end power (although pretty flat torque delivery through the power band) is pretty linear which is great for the track as it makes power predictably, but doesn't feel fast because of how smooth the power delivery is, but also the suspension is tuned well that unless you look at your speedometer you may not realize you are speeding. Had my wife in my GT4 and she wouldn't have guessed we were going over 90 mph until she looked at the speedometer.

If you want "neck breaking" feel of acceleration (quick vs fast), then you should probably consider a Tesla (or Taycan if you want to spend the money) where an EV has max torque at 0 rpm. If you never take your GT4 to the track, then it's a waste, in my opinion.
AlexCeres (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:11 AM
oo7ml
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
If you want the FEELING of speed, I can tell you that my friend's Honda Talon feels much faster than my GT4 even going just 30 mph because it's loud and has no windshield. For a car, what makes you feel fast is torque. Seems like you prefer a turbo car because after the turbos spool you get a rush of torque and power. The GT4 having a naturally aspirated engine and tuned for high end power (although pretty flat torque delivery through the power band) is pretty linear which is great for the track as it makes power predictably, but doesn't feel fast because of how smooth the power delivery is, but also the suspension is tuned well that unless you look at your speedometer you may not realize you are speeding. Had my wife in my GT4 and she wouldn't have guessed we were going over 90 mph until she looked at the speedometer.

If you want "neck breaking" feel of acceleration (quick vs fast), then you should probably consider a Tesla (or Taycan if you want to spend the money) where an EV has max torque at 0 rpm. If you never take your GT4 to the track, then it's a waste, in my opinion.
Yes, interesting point.

I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance in February this year and I got rid of it within 6 weeks (thankfully without losing anything on it)... as again, I could not live with the lack of soul in an EV.

Maybe I am just getting old, and prefer the older cars now :-)

I get much more of a thrill driving my '86 911 than the GT4 as it just feels more pure and more like a Porsche. Anyway, just opinions, not facts... each to their own.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Vgj
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, interesting point.

I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance in February this year and I got rid of it within 6 weeks (thankfully without losing anything on it)... as again, I could not live with the lack of soul in an EV.

Maybe I am just getting old, and prefer the older cars now :-)

I get much more of a thrill driving my '86 911 than the GT4 as it just feels more pure and more like a Porsche. Anyway, just opinions, not facts... each to their own.
Nothing wrong at all with getting old and having your unique preferences . You paid good money and are not satisfied, simple as that. Have you looked into a 992 S ? Turbo 6 with manual and looks pretty sweet with the aerokit and wing (like your GT4), not to mention sounds great too and has the torque you might be looking for with around-town driving. I would venture to say it would be more cost efficient than a GT4RS and tons easier to obtain.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:45 PM
oo7ml
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vgj
Nothing wrong at all with getting old and having your unique preferences . You paid good money and are not satisfied, simple as that. Have you looked into a 992 S ? Turbo 6 with manual and looks pretty sweet with the aerokit and wing (like your GT4), not to mention sounds great too and has the torque you might be looking for with around-town driving. I would venture to say it would be more cost efficient than a GT4RS and tons easier to obtain.
I've been playing with the idea of getting a 964 instead of the GT4 as a daily, and stripping it right back and customising it to my satisfaction. I've never customised a car before as i've always preferred the purist route (hence not wanting to put an aftermarket exhaust on a brand new car)... however I think I'd enjoy going to town on a 964 while keeping my 3.2 Carrera as standard.

I'll hold out to see how the GT4 RS turns out. I'm hoping it will be faster, shorter gearing, better sounding and a bang out of the PDK gear box.

Last edited by oo7ml; 09-20-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I've been playing with the idea of getting a 964 instead of the GT4 as a daily, and stripping it right back and customising it to my satisfaction. I've never customised a car before as i've always preferred the purist route (hence not wanting to put an aftermarket exhaust on a brand new car)... however I think I'd enjoy going to town on a 964 while keeping my 3.2 Carrera as standard.

I'll hold out to see how the GT4 RS turns out. I'm hoping it will be faster, shorter gearing, better sounding and a bang out of the PDK gear box.
964 is a great car, effectively the 1st "modern" 911 ... taught me a lot about driving and its Walter Rohl's favorite - but you can easily drop 30-40k+ into a a really performant 964 ... and you are unlikely to
recover much of that in a subsequent sale ... speaking from personal experience
Old 09-20-2020, 01:40 PM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

well the OP's further posts have convinced me that it was a genuine post and not trolling, which leaves me in the unfortunate position of being unsure about whether the 4.0 GTS is the right car for me.

I have always been a torque fiend, I currently have a BMW M2C which has abundant torque

I previously had 2 981S' which I found to be torquey enough, but if the 4.0 feels even less torquey I might not be too happy with it.

sounds like I will need to drive a 4.0 GTS before I order one to be sure...

Quick Reply: Considering Selling My 718 GT4... Is Anyone Else?