Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Considering Selling My 718 GT4... Is Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020 | 11:58 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
I call BS on that. Show me proof where that is a feature in a 981 GT4 and spyder.

And you know this for certain how? Thats almost like saying that because the GT4 has the side Ram Air scoops the spyder does to. Which we know it doesn't.
I don't know about 981 GT4/Spyder, but the sound Symposer was at least present on 981 GTS and most 991.1 variants. On the 718 series, it's present on all the models with the 4.0L engine. Here's some more info about it from Porsche technical documents:

Old 09-21-2020 | 12:08 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If it’s in the Spyder, it’s in the GT4 as well.
My assumption is that it’s in the 4 Ltr engine therefore in spyder and GT4 but I will attempt to confirm this through my dealer. They’re good guys who tend to get answers I can rely on. I prefer “au naturelle”’for sound but it didn’t really bother me although the drive was very brief so I didn’t get a good sense of it.

Originally Posted by JSF101
needmore

are you and the hubby getting one? trading the 981 GT4?
Remains to be seen. I was told they’ll get me a car - it’s just a matter of when. It’ll be PDK - otherwise I don’t see the point. I’ll also get 18 way seats. While I drive it 90% of the time (not hubby's “thing”) - I want a car he will enjoy and currently he finds the modified suspension far too harsh in combination with the LWB seats for his bad back.

While I LOVE the manual in the current GT4 (it’s my fave aspect of the car), I’m okay with PDK and we just got the 993 which is a stick and a long term keeper. Tons of fun. Raw. Very different and fun at lower speeds especially when kept at a slightly higher Rev band. And very comfy for both of us. And when I hang up my helmet eventually, the PDK and 18-way will make the 718 GT4 a more friendly keeper.

I would probably sell (not trade) the current GT4.

Time will tell. There are things I much prefer with the 981 version but there are also things I like about the new version. If I end up staying with my current love I’m still a lucky girl as the 981 is a fantastic car. I certainly don’t exploit all the power and am not in need of more. But I can appreciate the refinements and improvement. Next one the suspension will remain stock. I’m tracking a bit less these days and would rather have a compliant car we can both enjoy rather than such a track focused beast! It’s a compromise I’m willing to make to suit my specific needs.

From all I’ve read it’s a great car but so is the 981 version and I can’t really go wrong either way. I wish hubby's back tolerated the LWB better but that’s the way it is and I’d rather have cars he chooses and enjoys instead of strictly his and hers.

One thing I found very odd on the test drive was the way the car automatically increased revs as the clutch is released to avoid stalling. I didn’t like it at all and it took a bit of getting used to. I suppose it makes the car easier to drive for the uninitiated but I thought the throttle was WAY too sensitive and then realized the car was giving itself throttle as I eased away from the parking space. Weird.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 09-21-2020 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
Chris3963 (09-21-2020), JSF101 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020 | 12:13 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

And btw hubby tells me our 2015 Panamera GTS had an intake sound symposer. That V8 sounded incredible! Especially cold starts. Loved the sound. It wasn’t the most beautiful car from all angles but the engine was awesome.
Old 09-21-2020 | 12:13 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ExMB
And you know this for certain how? Thats almost like saying that because the GT4 has the side Ram Air scoops the spyder does to. Which we know it doesn't.
The engine bay is identical in both cars. And it was in the Caymans previously, so it would be kinda odd to exclude it in just the GT4 but put it in the other three 4.0 variants...Don’t ya think?

Last edited by Archimedes; 09-21-2020 at 12:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Motoss (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020 | 01:15 AM
Underblu
Banned

I agree 100%. Other than the exhaust note Particularly under 4000 RPM, I can’t think of anything I would change on the 718 Spyder. Even the gearing feels good given how linear the torque curve is . I’m constantly shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear on back roads and 3rd 4th and 5th on the highway.

I always considered the GT3 the performance standout among production Porsches and the best all round sports car money can buy. I’m surprised how close my 718 Spyder comes to the performance envelop of that Benchmark car. It’a startling. Anyone who considers the 718 GT4 slow, has no clue how to drive a MT or maybe their car is defective.

slow, lol. Maybe compared to a Chiron or an F35 jet plane

Originally Posted by Sausage416
My spyder pulls very hard in the upper rev range ,it’s not far off from a gt3/rs ,I’ve done a couple of pulls with a speedster and gt3rs from a roll. Anyone that say the gt4 is slow clearly does not know how to drive one ,need power downshift. When op says the car felt worst than turbo lag ,I have a hunch op was probably doing 20mph lugging the engine in 4th gear ,and WOT expecting the car to accelerate like if it was in the 6k power band.

Last edited by Underblu; 09-21-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2020 | 02:25 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
One thing I found very odd on the test drive was the way the car automatically increased revs as the clutch is released to avoid stalling. I didn’t like it at all and it took a bit of getting used to. .........
Yet another dilution of MT purity! Sounds like they've dumb-ed it down to MT neophytes!! If one needs help with not to stall, he/she would go for an auto box! They didn't need to do that!!

Originally Posted by wizee
It is PSE controlled, ............
I suppose you could unplug power to the solenoid, .......... Why do you want to disable it, and why does this disappoint you? I like the way it sounds.
Thanks. I understand it's not synthesized, but actual sound being piped in. So, that's bit comforting. But, I'm a purist; prefer not to have such shenanigans!

Originally Posted by Archimedes
In the 991 you could just stuff a towel in the pipe from the cabin and cut off all the sound.
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2020 | 09:04 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

To the OP: apologize for the hijack.

To further confuse the sound symposer topic: a manufacturer of aftermarket exhaust options tells me the symposer is only in the spyder but not the GT4 as far as he knows. He’s in EU so I don’t know if it’s different for ROW vs US cars.

I’ll be checking with my dealer sales and service to learn the answer.
Old 09-21-2020 | 09:22 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
You are correct there is no optimal gear for 30 mph corners, since it’s a bit fast for downshifting into first (at least without double clutching), and around 2900 RPM in second gear. With that said, there’s enough torque in second at 2900 RPM for it to not be an issue for me at least. Below 40 km/h (25 mph), I downshift to first in spirited driving.

I guess it depends on the type of roads and speed limits. In Ontario, corners that require slowing down to 48 km/h (30 mph) are fairly rare. On back roads (80 km/h posted speed limit), most corners I do around 70-90 km/h. On the straights, I go a bit quicker than that where safe. Thus, I usually exit corners in the 4000-5000 RPM range in second. After the corner, I’d power out to maybe 6000-6500 RPM, then shift to third for cruising down straights around 4000-4500 RPM since there’s no point having the engine screaming when I’m not accelerating. When coming into curves, I usually downshift to second again, or occasionally first for super tight corners.

For reference, 4000 RPM in second is 42 mph on a 718 GT4/Spyder 6MT, 39 mph in a 987.1 S 6MT, and 41 mph in a 987.2 S 6MT. 4000 RPM in third is 59, 57, and 57 mph respectively. The gearing isn’t much different than those cars, the 4.0L engine just revs higher.
No matter what the gearing in a car, there are going to be speed points at which one will need to shift. IMO, 2nd & 3rd work perfectly for spirited back road driving. I don't think it is really desirable to be continuously driving at over 6000 rpm for long stretches of time anyway. Sure the gearing could be a little shorter, but it really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It doesn't bother me at all. I have now done 2600 miles of pure fun driving in just over 3 months of ownership. I know this car very well now.
The following 3 users liked this post by VVG:
AlexCeres (09-21-2020), Mercuriell (09-21-2020), Underblu (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020 | 09:36 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Agree on gearing in 981 GT4. Luv it for most tracks. On the street I just short shift. Doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t understand what the fuss is about but it’s subjective and personal.

I’d sell a car if I didn’t enjoy it after owning/driving it long enough to learn it.

I’ve found that sometimes my perspective changes with time/experience, and if I still feel the same way after giving it a chance then it’s time to move on.
Underblu (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020 | 11:48 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Man you guys get your feelings hurt easily over here in boxster world...the guy was just voicing his driving experience seat of the pants opinion. Whew, so glad I bought a 2 and not a 4
The following 2 users liked this post by usrodeo4:
Semitone (09-21-2020), Vgj (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020 | 01:00 PM
Semitone
Pro

One thing I am noticing here is people definitely have different definitions of “backroads”. I live in CT, And drive mostly CT and around Hudson River Valley so my back roads are very woody and a number of blind turns. Typical posted speed limit is 25-30 mph. Not dense residential neighborhoods but a combination of country living, forest and hilly farms.

I would say my typical driving is rather busy between 25mph turns, (maybe 20 mph turns) and up to 50-60 and back again. It’s pretty hard to take those turns much faster “ safely” given that you could always find a deer, biker, fisherman or hiker. As a result I frequently find myself at the top of 1st or the bottom of 2nd and hardly ever need 3rd.( unless I am on my way to 6th)

This is what spirited backroad driving means to me. I could see if one has corners they can take closer to 30-35 then the gearing would be a lesser problem. I’ll admit I never really thought about the different variations of “ backroad”.

Nonetheless, to the OP, if the GT4 doesn’t doesn’t fill your needs or desires, best to move on. The more I think about my backroad driving, the more I think of getting rid of both my Cayman and Boxster and just stick with my TR6. It’s starting to seem like a better fit. For highways and longer drives, there are clearly cars I prefer over Caymans. In fact, I think people are often surprised that I prefer my Boxster 987S over a 997S cab in my normal driving environment. Obviously, it’s not just the car but how you plan to use it.
Underblu (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020 | 01:10 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Semitone
One thing I am noticing here is people definitely have different definitions of “backroads”. I live in CT, And drive mostly CT and around Hudson River Valley so my back roads are very woody and a number of blind turns. Typical posted speed limit is 25-30 mph. Not dense residential neighborhoods but a combination of country living, forest and hilly farms.

I would say my typical driving is rather busy between 25mph turns, (maybe 20 mph turns) and up to 50-60 and back again. It’s pretty hard to take those turns much faster “ safely” given that you could always find a deer, biker, fisherman or hiker. As a result I frequently find myself at the top of 1st or the bottom of 2nd and hardly ever need 3rd.( unless I am on my way to 6th)

This is what spirited backroad driving means to me. I could see if one has corners they can take closer to 30-35 then the gearing would be a lesser problem. I’ll admit I never really thought about the different variations of “ backroad”.

Nonetheless, to the OP, if the GT4 doesn’t doesn’t fill your needs or desires, best to move on. The more I think about my backroad driving, the more I think of getting rid of both my Cayman and Boxster and just stick with my TR6. It’s starting to seem like a better fit. For highways and longer drives, there are clearly cars I prefer over Caymans. In fact, I think people are often surprised that I prefer my Boxster 987S over a 997S cab in my normal driving environment. Obviously, it’s not just the car but how you plan to use it.
Ah, that’s very different from the roads I frequent where the posted limit is 80 km/h (50 mph), most corners I take at 65 km/h (40 mph) or faster, and straights I usually cruise around 90-105 km/h (55-65 mph) depending on sight lines when nobody is around.

Last edited by wizee; 09-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2020 | 01:15 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Man you guys get your feelings hurt easily over here in boxster world...the guy was just voicing his driving experience seat of the pants opinion. Whew, so glad I bought a 2 and not a 4
beautiful car. Op need a 2rs ,won’t be complaining about speed with that beast.
Old 09-21-2020 | 01:19 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

I don't know about the 718 but for the 981 GT4 I'm pretty sure the sound symposer is not used. It might be there as part of the commonality across 981 models but if it is I believe the valve is closed all the time. I know this because that wiring harness signal is usually inactive on the GT4 and is being used for something else in my car

Also, I have driven a 981 GT4 where the sound symposer was hooked up and set to open all the time and it was much louder in the cabin (not in a good way) and super droney.
Old 09-21-2020 | 07:23 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 981 S Cayman and a 981 Spyder. There is no comparison in acceleration. The Spyder blows it away. The 718 GT4 should be even quicker. As for the sound, I believe you on that. I drove a 981 GT4 and was underwhelmed with the sound. Probably because the top down 981 Spyder has amazing sound.

Quick Reply: Considering Selling My 718 GT4... Is Anyone Else?