Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Got one of those lightweight antigravity batteries for my 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 02:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Awesome, I'm glad it is working for you and I hope to have the same experience. I'm just wondering if the Antigravity folks have been able to troubleshoot the few known cars with issues in hopes of avoiding a problem. Of course, I've already won the unlucky stop sale lottery so maybe I'll get lucky on this one
fingers crossed your stop sale is *just* the wrongly torqued bolts
Old 03-24-2021, 03:57 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,045 Likes on 590 Posts

@Antigravity - Tagging you in hopes you can return and confirm whether your batteries are compatible with the 718 platform and the GT4 and Spyders specifically? I purchased one for my Turbo that I removed before sale and I'm planning to put it in the Spyder when it arrives. There have been several reports now of CEL and I'm hoping you have an update.

Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff,

We are about 90% certain... but can't say 100% beause we don't officially know because I liked to have data from about a year of product release to make sure we have not gotten any flags. Yes that sounds odd that I can't say with 100% certainty, but the fact is alot of people have been using the battery without issues in the older GT4, yet we will get a car owner or another that says they got a flag. But recently we have had a lot of sales into the GT4 community and no flags... and we had updated the Battery BMS settings a good few months back that eliminated the issues from before, which was mainly OVER voltage protections cutting in from our battery because for some reason the GT4 had higher voltage outputs from the Alternator. So my suggestion is just put it in and see then if you get a flag, then if you do we will work with you to resolve that or swap out a battery. Also keep in mind the newer cars may not have the same issues and the prior generation, Porsche may have toned back on the high voltage so your battery may not have any issues on the newer car. So let us know when you put it in and as I said we will get it correct for you. .... I assume you mean you are getting a newer car?
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
Jeff Jones (03-24-2021), slilley (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response and I’ll let you know how it goes. I have a new Spyder on the way so I should know by April/May. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:16 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the detailed response and I’ll let you know how it goes. I have a new Spyder on the way so I should know by April/May. Thanks again.
Perfect keep in touch and write to me as scott@antigravitybatteries.com and Chad@antigravitybatteries.com
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:36 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 676 Posts

UPDATE #1 of 3: After working with Chad, who was helpful and accessible... the CEL and warnings are no longer present on the short 15 minute drive that I did. The solution was to just charge the battery on the CTEK charger. I drove my other car to my appointments and 4 hours later I came back and the charger was on step 7 (not 8) and so I unhooked and then tried it. At first the car would not start which I thought was odd. Then on the 3rd try it started and the voltage meter gave a constant reading of 13.8 dipping once to 13.7. Prior when the car was throwing Flags and warnings the voltage meter was reading 13.1. I drove around the block for about 10 min then back to home. I have left the charger off and will try again tomorrow and drive the car longer and further stopping at a couple destinations IF in the AM the charge holds and I get no CEL warnings. I will update again 2 more times (hence the 1of3) because if it doesnt work without issues its probably not worth it to me to keep the battery. I wont mind however if I have to keep it on a charge when I dont drive for like a week or two, but If I have to use the rescue feature when out and then get the flags and then have to charge... thats probably a deal breaker. Chad did state unequivocally that the car needs to get 'used to the battery and the ECU will adapt to the different voltage source'. Is that really a thing, not that I have reason to doubt Chad as he was very helpful but I just havent heard that before about a battery and an ECU. Anyway I will keep updating to resolution
Old 03-25-2021, 09:32 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
and we had updated the Battery BMS settings a good few months back that eliminated the issues from before, which was mainly OVER voltage protections cutting in from our battery because for some reason the GT4 had higher voltage outputs from the Alternator. […] Also keep in mind the newer cars may not have the same issues and the prior generation, Porsche may have toned back on the high voltage so your battery may not have any issues on the newer car.
I regularly see 14.9V in my '21 GT4 for the first 15 minutes or so of a drive. I plug a Porsche battery maintainer (nee CTEK) in when it's parked at home. (It's not a daily driver.) I'm surprised by this high voltage, even when it's been on a maintainer.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:44 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,725 Likes on 2,747 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff
I regularly see 14.9V in my '21 GT4 for the first 15 minutes or so of a drive. I plug a Porsche battery maintainer (nee CTEK) in when it's parked at home. (It's not a daily driver.) I'm surprised by this high voltage, even when it's been on a maintainer.
I always have my Spyder on the CTEK when parked, standard practice, park and plug in... here is a shot the other day showing the charging voltage, regularly above 15 volts and it stays there for a long time, more than 15 minutes for sure, as you can see the car is fully warmed up and IIRC this is after a drive.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I always have my Spyder on the CTEK when parked, standard practice, park and plug in... here is a shot the other day showing the charging voltage, regularly above 15 volts and it stays there for a long time, more than 15 minutes for sure, as you can see the car is fully warmed up and IIRC this is after a drive.

ditto
Old 03-25-2021, 03:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sobiloff
I assume you mean an li-ion compatible charger?
Old 03-25-2021, 03:52 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 454 Posts

I like to use my right foot to charge the battery
The following 3 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
DFW01TT (03-26-2021), dnimi123 (03-25-2021), josephr25 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:56 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

UPDATE #2 of 3: Ok so today with the car off the CTEK charger all night, my GT4 started right up, maintained 13.8v during all drives with no spikes, though on start the volt meter began at like 12.0 and went to 13.8 in about 10 seconds so that was different than the stock lead battery. Drove errands and meetings all day, stopped and started about 6 times, drove 20 miles in about 5 hours. Did get to punch it a bit with no oddities. I have plugged the charger in again as Im testing the maintainer line that I ran thru the frunk. Ill update again in a week or so as final 'green light" if nothing else to report occurs in between. But for now it looks like the Antigravity battery H6-48 40amps is working in my 2021 GT4. It seems the battery needed a charge out of the box and my car needed to adapt to the different voltage as Chad suggested. Whew!

Last edited by dnimi123; 03-26-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Mcx (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,725 Likes on 2,747 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
UPDATE #2 of 3: Ok so today with the car off the CTEK charger all night, my GT4 started right up, maintained 13.8v during all drives with no spikes, though on start the volt meter began at like 12.0 and went to 13.8 in about 10 seconds so that was different than the stock lead battery. Drove errands and meetings all day, stopped and started about 6 times, drove 20 miles in about 5 hours. Did get to punch it a bit with no oddities. I have plugged the charger in again as Im testing the maintainer line that I ran thru the frunk. Ill update again in a week or so as final 'green light" if nothing else to report occurs in between. But for now it looks like the Antigravity battery H6-48 40amps is working in my 2021 GT4. It seems the battery needed a charge out of the box and my car needed to adapt to the different voltage as Chad suggested. Whew!
Cool, but does the car start faster or go faster than before?
Old 03-26-2021, 03:08 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Cool, but does the car start faster or go faster than before?
Ah rennlist comedy attempts, love it! Cant tell, however, this alone drops 1.25% of the cars total weight, or 40 pounds. With inconel exhaust and maybe forged wheels on order I can drop 3% or 90+ pounds off the car, which isnt bad. This gets me even with the 18 way sofas, iron brakes and PDK I porked the car up with! Then I plan to drop 25 pounds of weight from my belly and drive around on empty with no passenger and then post my times from dragy. Happy, Westcoast?! In all seriousness this mod seems to be one people are doing to the GT4 and are having problems with so I thought I would post my limited experience.... carry on, with the jokes...

Last edited by dnimi123; 03-26-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Nickshu (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Thanks for the update dnimi123... any issues at all keep us in the loop and rest assured we will fully refund you and pay shipping back if you not happy for ANY reason. The batteries do ship a little low on energy as required for shipping but it can still start any vehicle fine.. but modern P-Cars are very sensitive to voltage and capacity. So under a load if the car sees the battery going lower in voltage than the computer assumes it should then it will throw a flag even if there is nothing wrong or it not effecting performance it just a warning to let you know something is up. Anyway we'll keep in touch.
dnimi123 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:26 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

YEs this is something we have seen more and more modern cars are doing since they have a much higher load on the Battery due to the electronics and more systems on board for managing everything in the Car and recording it and so on. We have also seen that due to these extra loads the manufacturers are putting these higher voltage so the battery can be charged a little faster in a shorter period of time. For example most the cars have variable voltage alternators (smart alternators) now and only charge when decelerating or OFF throttle to perform more efficiently for emissions standards and mileage... so they charge at a higher rate when they do charge to charge the battery faster. We have bumped the BMS OVER-CHARGE voltage protections in our batteries much higher on the latest versions to compensate for this.

Quick Reply: Got one of those lightweight antigravity batteries for my 718 Spyder