Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Got one of those lightweight antigravity batteries for my 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020 | 02:05 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnC4S
Couple days ago I was online chatting with one of your rep, and I was asked about additional connector on newer GT4 that may interfere with installation. I was quite confused based on what I have been reading here so please clarify this.

John
Hi John, So with some of the New Porsche models that come with a Lithium Battery Porsche is using a LIN system very similar to what McLaren is using on their models. This has an additional plug that goes directly into the battery to sent information/data back to the computer in the car an in turn is processed by the system to determine output for charging and peformance..as our batteries do not have this port they are not compatible at this time. Unfortunately it's something that is going to make it very hard to replace batteries in these models anywhere other then directly from the dealer. We've only come across it a few times so I'm not sure on exactly what models are doing this as of yet but I imagine it will keep expanding.
Best regards,
Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 11-27-2020 | 02:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by datapath
Could one move a "doorstop" 2020 Spyder AGM lead-acid battery to a 2015 991.1 GT3 which is due for a battery replacement? Will it fit and would the GT3 require PIWIS / OBD2 programming to accept the new battery? Thank you.
I believe that the batteries are broadly compatible in physical dimension and electrical characteristics (but you should check this) given that it should be a simple swap, and *no* reprogramming is (ever) necessary given that the
electrical characteristics are the same IMO.
Old 11-28-2020 | 11:31 AM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnC4S
Couple days ago I was online chatting with one of your rep, and I was asked about additional connector on newer GT4 that may interfere with installation. I was quite confused based on what I have been reading here so please clarify this.

John
I imagine that a data conector to the battery would be easy to spot on (unless came underneath or hidden), anybody have photos of their 718 GT4/Spyder showing this data connector?
Old 11-28-2020 | 01:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by metalone
I imagine that a data conector to the battery would be easy to spot on (unless came underneath or hidden), anybody have photos of their 718 GT4/Spyder showing this data connector?
Wouldn't this data connection only be on a car that comes with a Li-Ion battery? Most if not all GT4/SPYDER come with a standard AGM battery, I never saw an option to spec any different battery?
Old 11-28-2020 | 01:43 PM
acey81
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Wouldn't this data connection only be on a car that comes with a Li-Ion battery? Most if not all GT4/SPYDER come with a standard AGM battery, I never saw an option to spec any different battery?
I think you're right. Only the 992 comes with a Li-Ion battery from factory.
Old 03-24-2021 | 01:01 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Hey there Antigravity. Installed an H6 40amp battery on sale today in my 21 718 GT4 and threw check engine lights. Please check your messages and call me ASAP. Thought this was resolved???
Old 03-24-2021 | 08:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast

I just changed my battery (but to the other brand, sorry, as I had it from the 981) and there's no data connector.....on the 981 the only thing you had to do (if you wanted) is coding to let the ECU know you had a Li-Ion battery, probably to lower the alternator output.
Also, the 981 had some kind of vent port on the battery and some kind of line connected here...I just left it unplug as the new battery didn't had it...no problems in 5 years.
I had the volt meter active on the display and the 981 would keep the battery at 14.2-14.3 volts if you swap a regular one to Li-Ion.....the 718 is keeping the volts at 13.7-13.8 so not sure if it's auto regulating the output.
Old 03-24-2021 | 08:48 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Hey there Antigravity. Installed an H6 40amp battery on sale today in my 21 718 GT4 and threw check engine lights. Please check your messages and call me ASAP. Thought this was resolved???
similar experience on k-nut’s spyder (he installed without coding the car) got tons of errors and instruments were shutting off and rebooting while driving.. looks like battery was getting over charged and switching off. Went back to stock but not sure if this would have worked better with coding
Old 03-24-2021 | 11:08 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
@dnimi123 did you attach an OBD-II reader to determine what fault codes were thrown? ... FYI when I put an AGB in my 991.2 GT3 threw a code on initial startup but it was a "well known" issue to do with the ECU detecting a spurious low voltage condition and I cleared it - problem gone YMMV
Old 03-24-2021 | 11:09 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
similar experience on k-nut’s spyder (he installed without coding the car) got tons of errors and instruments were shutting off and rebooting while driving.. looks like battery was getting over charged and switching off. Went back to stock but not sure if this would have worked better with coding
Ive had no such problems (yet) with my AGB ...
Old 03-24-2021 | 11:41 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Ive had no such problems (yet) with my AGB ...
it was ok for a while until it discharged a couple of times while he was working on it then it kind of went apesh1t
Old 03-24-2021 | 11:49 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
it was ok for a while until it discharged a couple of times while he was working on it then it kind of went apesh1t
good to know... I keep it on an Li-ion CTEK trickle charger, but I have at least once (when I forgot to attach it) had the battery go into its "saver" mode (on the GT3) but no problems there with resetting the battery and starting the car...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 03-25-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2021 | 02:40 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

@Antigravity - Tagging you in hopes you can return and confirm whether your batteries are compatible with the 718 platform and the GT4 and Spyders specifically? I purchased one for my Turbo that I removed before sale and I'm planning to put it in the Spyder when it arrives. There have been several reports now of CEL and I'm hoping you have an update.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-24-2021 | 02:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
@Antigravity - Tagging you in hopes you can return and confirm whether your batteries are compatible with the 718 platform and the GT4 and Spyders specifically? I purchased one for my Turbo that I removed before sale and I'm planning to put it in the Spyder when it arrives. There have been several reports now of CEL and I'm hoping you have an update.

Thanks,
Jeff
@Jeff Jones I have had no problems with my AGB in my Spyder...
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 02:43 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Awesome, I'm glad it is working for you and I hope to have the same experience. I'm just wondering if the Antigravity folks have been able to troubleshoot the few known cars with issues in hopes of avoiding a problem. Of course, I've already won the unlucky stop sale lottery so maybe I'll get lucky on this one

Quick Reply: Got one of those lightweight antigravity batteries for my 718 Spyder