Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Ferrari 360 Spider vs Porsche 718 Spyder .” An owner’s Viewpoint

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 09:27 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 736 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Ferrari 360 Spider vs Porsche 718 Spyder .” An owner’s Viewpoint

To be fair in terms of this comparison, the 718 and 360 are 20 years apart, so of course Porsche would have advantages. Having said that, I’m seeking to compare a 3 pedal ME NASP convertible sports car so I think there is some validity in the comparison. And both are, in my opinion, drivers cars. And the Ferrari 3 pedal 360 and 430 still are in demand. Here are my thoughts having owned a both cars.

Handling - Ferrari is twitchy, and can be squirrelly. Porsche is planted, it is so glued to the road. Both have a go kart feel but Porsche feels slightly more agile and nimble. Both cars have brilliant feedback. Ferrari sits lower (seated), closer to road and feels like your *** is in danger of getting road rash. Feedback is incredible if car goes over a piece of gum, you know the flavour 😊. The Porsche Spyder just inspires confidence, makes you feel like a great driver. Best handling car I have driven or been driven in. The Porsche is so buttoned down. At times the Ferrari feels like it wants to kill you. Winner: Porsche

Steering - tough one. Both excellent. Lots of feedback in both cars. Sharp responses to inputs. Winner Tie

Usability /practicality- the Porsche feels better built, it has practical storage space. I have zero apprehension using the Porsche on an extended road trip. You could drive the Porsche daily and not worry about throwing a CEL. Obviously electric roof makes the Ferrari easier, but for storage, daily, road trips, etc. Winner - Porsche

Styling Exterior- front side rear - Ferrari squat, air vents, amazing diffuser , I had stradale package on mine, glass view to the engine - great side profile and rear end - front looks its age. But overall quite beautiful . It was a crazy attention magnet whether moving or parked. However, the 718 Spyder is the best looking Porsche outside of their super cars (CGT, 918) IMHO. Love the racing humps, streamliners, double bubble - whatever you want to call them. Rear view, diffuser, exhaust, etc looks amazing. Front end great looking The Spyder looks lean and muscular - not like a bodybuilder - both cars look more like an athlete - NFL wide receiver or Olympic Sprinter. Tough one - went back and forth on this one. Winner - Tie

Interior Comfort/Seats/radio, layout - Leather interior and seats beautiful in Ferrari. Interior spartan and very driver focussed. The updates in the Porsche interior make it an easy winner. I specced the bose with Apple Car Play in Spyder and this is more than adequate. While not up to minute in terms of tech - I don’t care. Also I’m glad I specced the buckets in Porsche. Adds to look and feel of race car. Winner - Porsche

Acceleration- the power in the Porsche coming out of a corner is amazing. Really pulls.Ferrari’s traction control comes on very quickly and cuts power from a stand still blast. Porsche not as sensitive- could be tires but I don’t think so. Everyone always wants more power, but it’s not the far off perfect. I think the Porsche feels quicker and I would bet is quicker. This car, for a manual, is very very quick to 60. Add 50 HP and 50 pound foot and tweak gearing - wow. But you ain’t getting that for what we are currently paying for this car. Winner - Tie

Transmission - “Manual shifters are like that. You’re not simply pulling a paddle and letting the transmission do all the hard work. The gearbox never does a thing until you command it to do so; you’re 100 percent in charge. You’re more attuned to the tachometer, you’re thinking way ahead, and well before every turn you’re readying both feet to perform that remarkable dance of braking, blipping, and clutching all at the same time. Answer me this: Is there a more soul-nourishing driving act than kicking the throttle just the right amount as you slip the gearstick down and feel the lower gear engage at the perfect rpm, not the slightest shudder from the powertrain, the exhaust note a beauteous zing?” Couldn’t agree more with this. Both cars represent the best of shifters. Porsche shifter is great. Feel is excellent and precise. Autoblip a bonus given you the choice between heel and toeing or letting the electronics do the work- glad they did this. Ferrari pedals are amazing both to use and look better in terms of styling beautiful Aluminium racing pedals. In Ferrari, it feels as though the gears aren’t as long and also redline is 8500. The Spyders elevated shifter is a great touch and harkens the CGT. The tip or suggestion of shifting down into first gear in Porsche goes against everything I’ve been taught - but you know what - they are right. It changes the Spyder. It works well. After going to the trouble of still making a manual, why can’t Porsche put in a proper handbrake.Tough one again. But that clickity clack..... man. Winner - Ferrari

Sound - The 360 Ferrari is considered by many to be one of best sounding Ferrari’s and no argument here. Mine did have a tubi exhaust and as soon as start it up, the symphony starts playing. It’s loud when driving, dropping a gear and kicking the revs up past 8000 rpm - heavenly redline at 8500. Also, like older cars, there are mechanical engine noises. This one is controversial since Porsche has been forced to use particulate filters. I may be in the minority here but I like the stock exhaust sound - it is different - guttural. Kicks in just under 4000. Yes it could be louder and a after market exhaust would address this if you were so inclined. I had a GTS and pops and bangs on the overrun get trying and sound fake. But is the sound for you, others outside of car, or both. Hard to beat a Ferrari NASP. If I may quote an auto journalist, “The Spyder flat-six sings a Wagnerian tune, the aria of a Valkyrie. In contrast, the 360 belts out a full-bodied tenor like Pavarotti reaching the climax of Nessun Dorma. It pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls and, “All’alba vincerò! Vincerò! Vinceròòòòò!”Winner - Ferrari

Engine - the V8 in the Ferrari and F6 in the Porsche are both legendary NASP engines. I think the HP boost in the 718 4.0 makes a difference in the mid range now. Ferrari is so proud of their engine they display it in a glass case behind your roll hoops.. Both manufacturers legends in engine building. I can’t call this one either. Winner - Tie

Overall -When you just look at the styling of both cars, they promise a lot and when you drive them, they both deliver on the promise. “Power is not the only thing that makes a sports car, dynamic maneuverability is the core. What is power without balance?” Both cars have a conversation with the driver The Ferrari is very much an occasion car. Gets tons of attention, if that is your thing. It has a road presence that is special. Only saw one other in the 4 years I owned the car. Ferrari makes supercars. For me the Spyder is a sports car. And I mean that in a complimentary way. It’s usable - it’s not ornamental”. I don’t feel that driving the Spyder and that is a good thing.

In today’s world of lower speed limits, higher fines and impounding of cars, for me the convertible makes more sense than ever in both cars unless you are tracking it. I can cruise below the canopy of trees, with the sun shining through, the wind washing over you, the engine noise, smells, and can do that while still being legal. In today’s market of sports cars, the Spyder offers me everything I could want in a car in terms of being analog- no one else makes a manual mid engine NASP drop top. And what it offers, and it’s crazy to say about a 6 figure car, but it is under priced. The Porsche Spyder manual ME NASP convertible is in a category of one in today’s new car market. Whether it’s a Spyder or Spider - it’s too close to call,- some days I think Ferrari - other Porsche. It’s a pick em. And the GT4 Spyder is a brilliant car. In both cars I pull into garage allI alone, turn the ignition off, pause for a second and say in a low voice, “what a —— machine”. I hope to own it until I can’t drive anymore. However, I did have this as a tie, but breaking point- no pun intended - the reliability of Porsche vs Ferrari. So Spyder gets checkered flag. Now both sets of keys are sitting on the kitchen table - last drive ever ... hmm ... choice can be good or it can be be painful. 😏

Last edited by ISPYA718; 08-30-2020 at 10:23 PM.
The following 19 users liked this post by ISPYA718:
66mustang (09-02-2020), 911F1 (08-31-2020), AlexCeres (09-01-2020), Astephens (09-01-2020), BoxsirGTS18 (09-02-2020), DFW01TT (08-31-2020), djonesdnd (08-31-2020), DocMo (08-31-2020), F1-GT (08-31-2020), Jim Rockford (08-30-2020), kart125 (08-31-2020), KBS911 (01-29-2021), kwikit356 (09-01-2020), Mcx (09-04-2020), NeilF (08-30-2020), RonLu (08-31-2020), steve9 (12-25-2020), TYPE911 (08-30-2020), wizee (08-30-2020) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:42 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 185 Posts

Enjoyable read! Thanks for posting this, it was my Sunday night dessert!
The following users liked this post:
ISPYA718 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:51 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Enjoyable read! Thanks for posting this, it was my Sunday night dessert!
Thanks. It was enjoyable to do as it stirred up lots of good memories in Ferrari. I listened to video my passenger took while wringing out Ferrari - what a thrill. Will do the same in Porsche Spyder EVO did a similar one comparing 987 Spyder to 360 and it was a great read. They picked Ferrari, but I appreciate there is a lot of love for 987 on here and frankly elsewhere as it a great car but 718 really moved the game on in many ways and I suppose lost some of 987 along the way. The cars are a drivers dream INHO.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:08 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 771 Posts

Two great cars for sure. Enjoy!
ISPYA718 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 10:11 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Great write up!
ISPYA718 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 10:18 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 93 Posts

Great combo. I’ve got a 718 GT4 and 458 and they are both world class
ISPYA718 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 10:25 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Love the 458. One of the most beautiful cars on planet. Last NASP. Never sell.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:40 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 525 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Thanks. It was enjoyable to do as it stirred up lots of good memories in Ferrari. I listened to video my passenger took while wringing out Ferrari - what a thrill. Will do the same in Porsche Spyder EVO did a similar one comparing 987 Spyder to 360 and it was a great read. They picked Ferrari, but I appreciate there is a lot of love for 987 on here and frankly elsewhere as it a great car but 718 really moved the game on in many ways and I suppose lost some of 987 along the way. The cars are a drivers dream INHO.
Great contribution to those of us who wonder about things like this! Thanks.
ISPYA718 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:33 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Man....a manual Ferrari! If I could only find one.........
ISPYA718 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,581 Likes on 2,330 Posts

is your Spyder Gentian Blue?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:26 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Yes. Very cool colour in that it changes depending on light. It reminded me of a Dino 246 with a similar colour. There is a good video on YouTube illustrating that colour which confirmed my colour choice. I am sure like most on here colour selection caused angst - I originally looked at Black as well as GT Silver - and others - hell all the colours look good on this car.

Last edited by ISPYA718; 08-31-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:49 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Yes. Very cool colour in that it changes depending on light. It reminded me of a Dino 246 with a similar colour. There is a good video on YouTube illustrating that colour which confirmed my colour choice. I am sure like most on here colour selection caused angst - I originally looked at Black as well as GT Silver - and others - hell all the colours look good on this car.
Which YT video is this? Gentian is a very intriguing color.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 PM
patdonahue
Pro

THAT is a fact. I have about 2 weeks till my 4.0 locks and I am still going between G/B and A/G. I gave them G/B when I got my commission # but still have a small time window should A/G cast its spell over me...
Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Which YT video is this? Gentian is a very intriguing color.
Here you go. Even if you don’t love the colour, the video is a great watch anyway because the Dino is an such iconic beautiful car IMHO.

Last edited by ISPYA718; 08-31-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:45 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Thanks for that. Beautiful photography. I have never seen a Dino in any type of blue before. Talk about beauty and brains and good taste....
A friend has a Dino and he will only drive it early on Sunday mornings when there is NO traffic. Yet, here is this lady zooming about in the rain.....gotta love the fact that she uses and enjoys her car.
ISPYA718 (08-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Ferrari 360 Spider vs Porsche 718 Spyder .” An owner’s Viewpoint