Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Shift linkage problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 PM
Xisthos
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Do not just consider what happened when the clutch failed. Most people now DO NOT break in a clutch properly and that’s where the problem lies. You need to take it easy on your first 200-300 (I do 500) miles, depends if mostly city or freeway driving.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:42 PM
Javocruz
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone with this problem get the car fixed in the dealership ? i had the same problem 5 months ago and after alot of trouble my local dealer stepped up and got me the warranty.. all the parts are are the same except the transmition !! that one is diferent i dont know the how is it diferent they just tell me its a diferent model

has anyone experiencie this ?
Old 03-29-2022, 10:38 PM
Jay1k2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of weeks ago I lost third gear while shifting into third at WOT. Immediately I started shifting into other gears that were still working but quickly they were all gone. Got towed to the dealership and told them it was probably the shifter cable. Once they got a chance to look at it, they confirmed and quickly fixed it. Although, the first time I went to pick it up it was completely wrong (funny story)... they eventually got it corrected. It's good as new now.

Last edited by Jay1k2; 03-29-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:09 AM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

Buy the numeric shift cables and end pieces you won't regret it. Also stops this from happening
Old 06-09-2024, 03:12 PM
Flat6Enthusiast
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Lost R-1-3-5 after trying to downshift at the end of a straightaway. Ended up limping it over to my local Porsche service center.

Originally Posted by Mr.Speed
Today i lost R-1-3-5 gears when was doing track day... I was lucky that there was a guy who have Clubsport with his mechanic, so his mechanic inspected the car and find out straight away that shift linkage on the left side of the gearbox failed... He managed to fix it quite fast, so i was able to do a few hours more on the track. But on the way home this happened again.
Tomorrow i will bring car to the dealer, car is 9 months old and done 10000 km (+-2000 km on track).
The mechanic also said that probably clutch bearing needs to be inspected also, as he heard a strange sound when clutch disenagaged...
Someone had similar issues? How long the clutch need to last on 718?
I had one very bad accident with clutch when i get stuck on the ramp when tried to enter hotel parking, the angle between ramp/floor was to big, so i can't enter the garage and i had to drive back. This ramp was made from concrete with quite a big angle, so i had to use my clutch to go up, it slipped a bit, was burning clutch smell and etc. Does such one accident can destroy the clutch?
And the clutch problem can be connected with shift linkage problem?
Tomorrow i will have to discuss this with dealer, regarding warranty...
Old 06-09-2024, 04:36 PM
Gabriel@NutCracker
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

I too have this issue on my 2020 Spyder. Lost third at first, then 5th, then first, then reverse (which really started to trouble me). Have waited for 6 weeks to get a slot at a Porsche dealership. Car goes in this Tuesday - 11th of June. Will point them to their own service bulletin.

Current cars: 2020 718 Spyder (MT), 2018 991 GT3T
Previous cars: 2014 BS (MT), 2x NC Miata, Audi R8 V10 plus

Old 06-19-2024, 01:38 AM
Gabriel@NutCracker
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabriel@NutCracker
I too have this issue on my 2020 Spyder. Lost third at first, then 5th, then first, then reverse (which really started to trouble me). Have waited for 6 weeks to get a slot at a Porsche dealership. Car goes in this Tuesday - 11th of June. Will point them to their own service bulletin.
Got a phone call from the dealer, that they have fixed the issue. Haven't picked the car up yet, but will be able to check what they did as I will be removing the transmission soon enough (to have the RPM Technik short final drive with taller 6th installed). If I find anything interesting down there, I will take and post photos.

Quick Reply: Shift linkage problem.