Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Shift linkage problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Shift linkage problem.

Today i lost R-1-3-5 gears when was doing track day... I was lucky that there was a guy who have Clubsport with his mechanic, so his mechanic inspected the car and find out straight away that shift linkage on the left side of the gearbox failed... He managed to fix it quite fast, so i was able to do a few hours more on the track. But on the way home this happened again.
Tomorrow i will bring car to the dealer, car is 9 months old and done 10000 km (+-2000 km on track).
The mechanic also said that probably clutch bearing needs to be inspected also, as he heard a strange sound when clutch disenagaged...
Someone had similar issues? How long the clutch need to last on 718?
I had one very bad accident with clutch when i get stuck on the ramp when tried to enter hotel parking, the angle between ramp/floor was to big, so i can't enter the garage and i had to drive back. This ramp was made from concrete with quite a big angle, so i had to use my clutch to go up, it slipped a bit, was burning clutch smell and etc. Does such one accident can destroy the clutch?
And the clutch problem can be connected with shift linkage problem?
Tomorrow i will have to discuss this with dealer, regarding warranty...
Old 08-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

I am thinking your track days are pretty hard on the clutch that can lead to problems. I doubt one instance of slipping the clutch will do it.

There was another report of people having linkage issues on here IIRC.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:35 PM
CornWood
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Speed
Today i lost R-1-3-5 gears when was doing track day... I was lucky that there was a guy who have Clubsport with his mechanic, so his mechanic inspected the car and find out straight away that shift linkage on the left side of the gearbox failed... He managed to fix it quite fast, so i was able to do a few hours more on the track. But on the way home this happened again.
Tomorrow i will bring car to the dealer, car is 9 months old and done 10000 km (+-2000 km on track).
The mechanic also said that probably clutch bearing needs to be inspected also, as he heard a strange sound when clutch disenagaged...
I had one very bad accident with clutch when i get stuck on the ramp when tried to enter hotel parking, the angle between ramp/floor was to big, so i can't enter the garage and i had to drive back. This ramp was made from concrete with quite a big angle, so i had to use my clutch to go up, it slipped a bit, was burning clutch smell and etc. Does such one accident can destroy the clutch?

My brand new car has a distinct tick with the clutch disengaged. I am wondering if it's an issue or just a symptom of these cars and the noises they make. Could be related to the dual mass flywheel?
Old 08-31-2020, 01:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I am thinking your track days are pretty hard on the clutch that can lead to problems. I doubt one instance of slipping the clutch will do it.
While not likely, you absolutely can fry a clutch with one really bad 'riding the clutch' situation. Obviously unrelated to the linkage situation.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:51 PM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Today the car was inspected at delaer, so they said that they didn't noticed any problems with clutch... So they give me some hope
The linkage will be repaired under warranty, they will change a shifter cable. They said they never heard that it happened to someone before, so they said that probably this was just bad luck.
I tried to search the forum, but all what i found is that only in older generations caymans this was a common problem...

Now the most important thing for me is that it was fixed till Saturday, another track day is on my calendar
Old 08-31-2020, 04:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Is this on a 718 GT4?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Great to discover problems like these under warranty. How confident are you about your manual shifting technique at the track? Not suggesting you're doing anything wrong but would be nice to have it confirmed by someone else sitting in your car as you do a lap.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:25 AM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Is this on a 718 GT4?
Yes, 718 GT4

Originally Posted by hf1
Great to discover problems like these under warranty. How confident are you about your manual shifting technique at the track? Not suggesting you're doing anything wrong but would be nice to have it confirmed by someone else sitting in your car as you do a lap.
This was the first thing what i was thinking also, that this can be a problem of my shifting technique, as i am started to go to the track only from this Febuarary.... I already done 6 or 7 track days. I drove only automatic cars for years before GT4... As i was completely new to driving on a track, i am always been driving with instructor for at least half of track day. Nobody said that i am doing something wrong with shifting.

I uploaded some videos.

The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (09-01-2020)
Old 06-23-2021, 06:43 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today the car was inspected at delaer, so they said that they didn't noticed any problems with clutch... So they give me some hope
The linkage will be repaired under warranty, they will change a shifter cable. They said they never heard that it happened to someone before, so they said that probably this was just bad luck.
I tried to search the forum, but all what i found is that only in older generations caymans this was a common problem...

Now the most important thing for me is that it was fixed till Saturday, another track day is on my calendar
my dealer recreated the problem. Track driving should not be any issue for the clutch in this car. I have driven manuals for 40 years and this clutch has never been riden’
Old 06-23-2021, 09:33 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

No way will riding the clutch a little bit to get in and out of a tricky situation burn up a clutch to the point where it is baked ....
Old 06-23-2021, 09:35 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Yes, 718 GT4

This was the first thing what i was thinking also, that this can be a problem of my shifting technique, as i am started to go to the track only from this Febuarary.... I already done 6 or 7 track days. I drove only automatic cars for years before GT4... As i was completely new to driving on a track, i am always been driving with instructor for at least half of track day. Nobody said that i am doing something wrong with shifting.

I uploaded some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6uwx9dfqTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qroYI8iLWJg
I have been driving manual cars for 40 years ...this isn't about not knowing how to drive a stick shift. On the track, unless you really don't have a clue, is not hard on the clutch
Old 06-24-2021, 02:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,708 Posts

I see that those that have chimed in say one event will not toast the clutch... I am not so sure!

I had a guffaw with my old 981 6-speed on a road trip once, stopped at a light on the hill with lots of traffic and a short duration turn light, the light went green and I was in second IIRC, no time to correct I pulled away and yep you could smell the burnt clutch... it was never the same again, slipped in 3rd when floored.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:12 PM
Visigoth
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I posted that I had the exact same problem just three days ago. I am not an expert mechanic or even really much of an amateur compared with most on this board but it is not a clutch problem. It is a problem with the cheap plastic clips with which Porsche attaches the shifter cables to the transmission that can easily break or come loose. The answer as far as I can tell is more robust aftermarket hardware. It seems like track usage would be a classic scenario where this would occur even with perfect shifting. Doing a small amount of internet research showed that unfortunately this is a common problem in multiple Porsche manual transmissions.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:15 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Originally Posted by Visigoth
I posted that I had the exact same problem just three days ago. I am not an expert mechanic or even really much of an amateur compared with most on this board but it is not a clutch problem. It is a problem with the cheap plastic clips with which Porsche attaches the shifter cables to the transmission that can easily break or come loose. The answer as far as I can tell is more robust aftermarket hardware. It seems like track usage would be a classic scenario where this would occur even with perfect shifting. Doing a small amount of internet research showed that unfortunately this is a common problem in multiple Porsche manual transmissions.
hmmm. First I heard of this. Do the clips fail and cause the clutch to ride??
Old 06-24-2021, 10:23 PM
Visigoth
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reelbuddies
hmmm. First I heard of this. Do the clips fail and cause the clutch to ride??
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the clutch, which is what bothers me about this thread. It is the shifter cable connection to the transmission.

This is a picture that I did not take but stole from another thread in another forum to show the zip tied connection that fails.

Quick Reply: Shift linkage problem.