Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Check in if you have a Paint to Sample PTS car on order

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 09:38 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Wow. Me personally, if your SA really has a PTS spot and you're willing to pay the extra $12k, I would jump on it but that's just me.

1. Color is such a subjective thing so it's difficult for one person to "tell" you what to buy but rather maybe instead how about provide some suggestions. Have you looked at Rennbow.org. Great website that goes through the various colors with some sample pictures. Keep in mind that not all of the colors showing on Rennbow are available for PTS.

I will say though, my personal opinion is I think the Spyder looks best in bright colors. I've never seen the BRG in person so really can't comment on it but maybe call around some of your local dealers and check to see if any of them has a color sample. It may be hard to find a BRG sample but at least you can try and start there.

2. I started of wanting silver wheels and my wife wanted black. When I saw the platinum wheels, I immediately switched because it was a nice in-between color. Not too bright like the silver and not black. I didn't like the black because it hides the design of the wheels and these wheels actually look nice so I went with platinum.

3. I considered PCCB but the cost of replacing the rotors scared me off to be honest. I don't plan on tracking my car but this will be my forever car and the thought of paying $25k+ down the road for rotors was something that I couldn't do so we kept it with the standard brakes but I did change the caliper colors to black.

I do believe the yellow on the calipers is different than the yellow stitching as I thought I read sometime ago in one of the many threads but I could be wrong as I didn't really keep it in the back of my mind since I wouldn't purchase a yellow car. I like it and it looks nice but to have it in my garage is not for me.

Don't forget that if you do pick blue or green for exterior, Porsche does offer a Speed Blue and Lizard Green interior. Not exact color matches for the colors you're looking at but at least they're in the same family. Personally, I selected silver since my exterior is already a bright color and I think the silver interior gives it a little bit of a muted and classy look but because it's still deviated stitching, still looks unique.

4. I don't believe there is anyway to remove the wart on US models and still wondering if the wart is painted or not on PTS models.

I did get the MF leather steering wheel because my car is not a track car and more of a weekend cruiser, weekend in Las Vegas, cars and coffee, etc type car so I do want some of the conveniences and luxury.

This brings me to my next point is if you're ok with Alcanatara/Race-Tex on your steering wheel, then no need to change to leather but as there have been some discussions here about some people liking the Race-Tex and other not liking it, you may want to consider the change based on your opinion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thank you for the thoughtful response.

So they are calling Alcantara - Race-Tex now? I have Alcantara on my existing Spyder and like it - so would go there again (just have to make sure your hands are clean).

Why would the MF steering wheel not be good for the track?

Platinum wheels work for me too.

Color wise - yes very personal. I'm leaning towards Mexico. I was looking for a change from Miami Blue I had on a car I just sold, but I am a blue kind of guy. Couldn't convince myself to go green. Haven't quite moved on from Arrow though.

Still thinking through PCCBs. I don't think of them as track oriented, as I'd go iron and swap out to race pads. And doubt in my lifetime I'll see the need to replace them. Expensive option for basically a visual theme and maybe less brake dust!
Old 11-05-2020, 09:41 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Mexico and Riviera are so close that unless they are side by side

you probably wouldn't know the difference
Old 11-05-2020, 10:08 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Thank you for the thoughtful response.

So they are calling Alcantara - Race-Tex now? I have Alcantara on my existing Spyder and like it - so would go there again (just have to make sure your hands are clean).

Why would the MF steering wheel not be good for the track?

Platinum wheels work for me too.

Color wise - yes very personal. I'm leaning towards Mexico. I was looking for a change from Miami Blue I had on a car I just sold, but I am a blue kind of guy. Couldn't convince myself to go green. Haven't quite moved on from Arrow though.

Still thinking through PCCBs. I don't think of them as track oriented, as I'd go iron and swap out to race pads. And doubt in my lifetime I'll see the need to replace them. Expensive option for basically a visual theme and maybe less brake dust!
It's my understanding that Porsche isn't using the Alcantara brand anymore and is using another brand so they're labeling it as Race-Tex now. If you've had it before then you'll know the good and bad so you'll be fine if you spec it again.

As for MF steering wheel. There's technically nothing wrong with spec'ing it for your car especially if you plan on tracking the car. People just see it was a waste because while you're doing laps, you're not going to be thinking about changing radio stations with the MF steering wheel or answering calls with the MF steering wheel.

As for colors and especially your choice between Mexico and Riviera, call around your local and semi-local dealerships and try to find an Exclusive Manufacture dealership as they may have those car(frog) shaped paint samples for you to see in person. That is what we did and found a local dealer that had the two colors we were deciding between. Keep in mind they won't have all PTS colors but our dealership had the two we needed and that's what mattered.

PCCB are very expensive and many people say they're not worth the cost because they claim they don't offer any performance gains. I disagree with that as I believe under true track/race conditions, PCCB will outperform standard steel wheels all day long but again, I know people will disagree and there have been many threads/posts discussing this point. For us mere mortals, the true potential of PCCB will never be realized on the streets or track so basically people will be buying them for bragging rights and no brake dust. Yes, they weigh less than steel brakes but unless your last name is Schumacher or Hamilton, you will not be able to extract any extra performance gain from the weight savings of choosing PCCB.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
PCCB are Speed Yellow. Any other yellow on the car both exterior and interior (trim, stitching, gauges, belts) is Racing Yellow. I don't think that any interior RY bits would clash with the SY calipers -- too far from one another. Racing Yellow exterior paint, different story.

I agree that the Spyder welcomes brighter colors. I'd just order Racing Yellow or Python Green paint with silver wheels and save $13k ($10k). But color is very personal -- I wouldn't pay $13k for a color suggested by someone else. Good luck!
Thanks. The price tag does make you cringe. I do think the Spyder is a little more reserved than the GT4 (without the wing) - so may tone it down to a Mexico blue
Old 11-05-2020, 11:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,274 Posts

My PTS GT4 is Arrow Blue...I was also considering Voodoo Blue and Club Blue but I remember seeing pictures of a 991.2 GT3 in Arrow Blue and told myself I'd order that color once I got an opportunity for a PTS GT car.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:42 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thanks. The price tag does make you cringe. I do think the Spyder is a little more reserved than the GT4 (without the wing) - so may tone it down to a Mexico blue
So what did you pick? Lock was yesterday?

I agree with some other posters, Arrow is a very attractive blue.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:46 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm working on a PTS GT4 order myself, will have more details in a few weeks probably
Old 11-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
Mexico and Riviera are so close that unless they are side by side

you probably wouldn't know the difference
+1 somewhere in the internet is a picture of my 997.2 GT3 next to a C2S in Riviera... you can hardly tell them apart
Old 11-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 somewhere in the internet is a picture of my 997.2 GT3 next to a C2S in Riviera... you can hardly tell them apart
yep - I remembered that and found it again.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
So what did you pick? Lock was yesterday?

I agree with some other posters, Arrow is a very attractive blue.
So I’m at a crossroads. I have until Monday morning to decide.

I’ve decided on Arrow Blau - after tracking down the #arrowblue hashtag on Insta (sorry Larry). Build has - PCCBs, satin plat wheels, buckets, interior deviated yellow stitching and yellow seat belts. That, with a few other items, puts me at ~$135K - for a Spyder.

I’m torn - as this is a relatively unique opportunity to get a PTS GTish car (it’s not for the track).

However, the 981 GT Silver Spyder (with Classic interior) is near perfection for me - and has some sentimental value given the ED with my wife for our anniversary.

Here’s what I’m hung up on:
- Exhaust - I kid you not that top down when you get on it in the 981 is one of my most joyous moments in a car. It’s perfection. And this seems to be the biggest con on the 718. I know I could go aftermarket but prob wouldn’t.
- Engine - for the street it’s already more than you need, and it’s not a GT3 engine.
- Options - self inflicted I know, but concern I’m throwing $$ away with all these options - it’s just that what it would take to get me to move on from the 981. Maybe if so few PTS spyders I shouldn’t worry about it.

While I don’t like a rushed decision (as you can tell I like to overthink things), I wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity.

Does anyone have a sense of how long Spyder production will run until and if PTS is done, or would open up again?

Maybe if I could do ED again, it’s our 20 year anniversary - that would push me over the edge, but guessing that’s not on the cards.

Last edited by Dalema; 11-07-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

I’ve decided on Arrow Blau - after tracking down the #arrowblue hashtag on Insta (sorry Larry). Build has - PCCBs, satin plat wheels, buckets, interior deviated yellow stitching and yellow seat belts. That, with a few other items, puts me at ~$135K - for a Spyder.

I’m torn - as this is a relatively unique opportunity to get a PTS GTish car (it’s not for the track).

However, the 981 GT Silver Spyder (with Classic interior) is near perfection for me - and has some sentimental value given the ED with my wife for our anniversary.

- Exhaust - I kid you not that top down when you get on it in the 981 is one of my most joyous moments in a car. It’s perfection. And this seems to be the biggest con on the 718. I know I could go aftermarket but prob wouldn’t.
- Engine - for the street it’s already more than you need, and it’s not a GT3 engine.
- Options - self inflicted I know, but concern I’m throwing $$ away with all these options - it’s just that what it would take to get me to move on from the 981. Maybe if so few PTS spyders I shouldn’t worry about it.

While I don’t like a rushed decision (as you can tell I like to overthink things), I wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity.

Does anyone have a sense of how long Spyder production will run until and if PTS is done, or would open up again?

Maybe if I could do ED again, it’s our 20 year anniversary - that would push me over the edge, but guessing that’s not on the cards.
That looks like a fun build. If I can bring up some rumors to consider. Again, rumors so don't know if true but these rumors seem to be the consensus.

The next generation 98x is believed to be EV only so this may be the opportunity to get a mid engine Porsche with an H6 without turbos. There's another thread stating that people are reporting their SA's are telling them that the MY21 is the last year of the 982. If that is true, I'd imagine the PTS window is closing down if not close to being closed already.

So now that we got that out of the way, exhaust and gearing have been to two most discussed topic on the 982. You either like or not as it's subjective. For me, I didn't let those two issues ruin this opportunity for me. I think the overall package outweighs these two small "negatives." YMMV

As far as options go, get the options that make you happy (within your budget of course.) I would never buy a car worried about what the next person thinks and if I'm going to be able to sell it because of such and such option. Build it the way you like it.

Unfortunately, I don't think ED will in the cards for the remains 982 run.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:54 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Reading this, it doesn’t seem to me that you really want it and if it costs you a car that is “near perfection”, seems like there might be room for regret.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Well what will you get for $50k over perfection?
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 08:26 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disagree

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
thats what I am most afraid of!
ive had a Mexico blue GT3, Riviera blue 981s and a Gulf blue macan. All colors are great. That said I’ve had two miami Blue 991 cars. And yes it has some teal to it in certain light but that’s what I LOVE about the color. I think it will be looked at in ten years as the era color non metallic blue for 718 and 991 and be desirable. No one liked riviera on the 993 Turbo when it rolled out. Now look. That said who cares what others think, including me, get the color you like. For me I LOVE MB. This will be my third car in this color.

Last edited by TurboDogue; 11-09-2020 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TYPE911 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,342 Posts

this was basically my PTS build also!

I would be surprised if 718 production would go beyond August '21 PTS *may* be available - but its very arbitrary

Quick Reply: Check in if you have a Paint to Sample PTS car on order