Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Check in if you have a Paint to Sample PTS car on order

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 12:33 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 271 Posts

moving along....although ED might be out of the window for me due to this $hit of a year and work commitment

Old 11-02-2020, 12:44 PM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 115 Posts

Im into the blue thing.. AND I've owned Miami Blue and have a friend who has Sapphire Blue GT4..
IMO, You better like and know MB well.. it has a lot of teal green tone in certain lights.. Mexico Blue or other more pure blues are better IMO..
Sapphire blue has a real colored aluminum can look to it.. I don't like it at all but that's my thoughts..
If you're gonna go for a Spyder or GT4.. voodoo, Mexico, Gulf, Maritime, Riviera are much more VIVID...
Old 11-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by SK991.2
Im into the blue thing.. AND I've owned Miami Blue and have a friend who has Sapphire Blue GT4..
IMO, You better like and know MB well.. it has a lot of teal green tone in certain lights.. Mexico Blue or other more pure blues are better IMO..
Sapphire blue has a real colored aluminum can look to it.. I don't like it at all but that's my thoughts..
If you're gonna go for a Spyder or GT4.. voodoo, Mexico, Gulf, Maritime, Riviera are much more VIVID...
thats what I am most afraid of!
Old 11-02-2020, 01:00 PM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 115 Posts

My GULF BLUE in sunlight.. I had wheels refinished back to factory silver
Old 11-02-2020, 04:33 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 927 Posts

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by n4v4nod; 11-02-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:29 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

This is awesome. Added the car to the database as an unknown owner. If you own this car, please step up.

BTW, I also updated the database to include delivery month and wheel color.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That Python GTS 4.0 on the 4th pic looks great too.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:31 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 294 Posts

Wow, that looks amazing. So cool that people are taking spy shots of these beautiful cars before they get delivered to us!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys - could use your help / views. I want to start this with the fact that I am highly skeptical this will pan out based on what I read here, however I have a dealer saying they have a PTS Spyder allocation they expect to lock today. I know - right - sounds like BS, but if the opportunity is there I’d like to pursue it.

So - I have a 981 Spyder in GT Silver with classic interior, highly sentimental as I did ED with my wife, said I’d never sell it - yet here we are. Also just sold my Miami Blue GT3. So that’s where I’m coming from. For the 981 - I literally researched the color and options for months and read every single RL post. As this is rather last minute I haven’t done that here - hence the request.

Question 1 - color
I know it’s highly judgmental, but I’d either go with a blue or a green. I’ve just come off a blue and I’ve never had a green before. Interested in what type of color people think best show off the Spyder’s lines and best suits it (ie it’s not for the track, it is a convertible and has a touch of classic to it vs flat out sporty like a GT4 or GT3 with the wing etc.)

- Blue - either Arrow Blue or Mexico Blue. I like the Mexico a lot, but was drawn to the darker Arrow. Thoughts? Is Arrow different enough from Gentian to stand out as a PTS?
- Green - British Racing Green. Again drawn to the darker color, I like a deep green. Don’t like the light or the yellow greens. Worried BRG might be a bit flat - open to suggestions.

Question 2 - wheels
- Color - Black is off the table (have that on current Spyder). Had defaulted to Silver, but considering the satin platinum as it appears to take the edge off it, but hopefully isn’t so dark that the wheel gets lost
- Brakes - Do I really need PCCB? The color is a great match with either the blue or green - but when I add that I’m up around $125K and getting close to where my stripper GT3 landed - wow! I had the red irons with my Miami and that still looked good to me.

Question 3 - interior
If I go PCCB - for both blue or green, I’m thinking doing the leather with yellow contrast stitching. Is the PCCB yellow the same as the yellow stitching? I would stick to black seat belts.
- Question - how do people feel about the interior bits painted in the exterior color, as I’m concerned it a bit much and may go dark brush aluminum (or if silver wheels maybe silver aluminum)

If I got red iron brakes
- If I go blue - I’m leaning to doing leather with silver stitching with silver seat belts. Would likely leave the interior bits painted in exterior color.
- If I go green - not really sure what to do??

Question 4 - options
- Let me know if there are any must have options or things I should give serious consideration to (as I’m not as deep on the research here this time).
- I’m going manual with buckets, standard lights as I don’t want the nips, no Nav (just apple play) - does that eliminate the wart / is there a wart?, 2 zone air, Bose, smoking and footwell net.
- What’s the thinking on the regular steering wheel vs the MF steering wheel? ie is the MF less desirable?

Final question
- One of my main joys of driving the 981 Spyder is the exhaust note - when you really wring it out, not the overrun part. Should I be concerned?

And one last thing - any idea on the market for a 981 Spyder with <7K miles - GT silver with Classic interior. Gulp - can’t believe I’m saying that!

Appreciate the feedback, thoughts, help or rants Pictures welcome! Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dalema
Hi guys - could use your help / views. I want to start this with the fact that I am highly skeptical this will pan out based on what I read here, however I have a dealer saying they have a PTS Spyder allocation they expect to lock today. I know - right - sounds like BS, but if the opportunity is there I’d like to pursue it.

So - I have a 981 Spyder in GT Silver with classic interior, highly sentimental as I did ED with my wife, said I’d never sell it - yet here we are. Also just sold my Miami Blue GT3. So that’s where I’m coming from. For the 981 - I literally researched the color and options for months and read every single RL post. As this is rather last minute I haven’t done that here - hence the request.

Question 1 - color
I know it’s highly judgmental, but I’d either go with a blue or a green. I’ve just come off a blue and I’ve never had a green before. Interested in what type of color people think best show off the Spyder’s lines and best suits it (ie it’s not for the track, it is a convertible and has a touch of classic to it vs flat out sporty like a GT4 or GT3 with the wing etc.)

- Blue - either Arrow Blue or Mexico Blue. I like the Mexico a lot, but was drawn to the darker Arrow. Thoughts? Is Arrow different enough from Gentian to stand out as a PTS?
- Green - British Racing Green. Again drawn to the darker color, I like a deep green. Don’t like the light or the yellow greens. Worried BRG might be a bit flat - open to suggestions.

Question 2 - wheels
- Color - Black is off the table (have that on current Spyder). Had defaulted to Silver, but considering the satin platinum as it appears to take the edge off it, but hopefully isn’t so dark that the wheel gets lost
- Brakes - Do I really need PCCB? The color is a great match with either the blue or green - but when I add that I’m up around $125K and getting close to where my stripper GT3 landed - wow! I had the red irons with my Miami and that still looked good to me.

Question 3 - interior
If I go PCCB - for both blue or green, I’m thinking doing the leather with yellow contrast stitching. Is the PCCB yellow the same as the yellow stitching? I would stick to black seat belts.
- Question - how do people feel about the interior bits painted in the exterior color, as I’m concerned it a bit much and may go dark brush aluminum (or if silver wheels maybe silver aluminum)

If I got red iron brakes
- If I go blue - I’m leaning to doing leather with silver stitching with silver seat belts. Would likely leave the interior bits painted in exterior color.

Question 4 - options
- Let me know if there are any must have options or things I should give serious consideration to (as I’m not as deep on the research here this time).
- I’m going manual with buckets, standard lights as I don’t want the nips, no Nav (just apple play) - does that eliminate the wart / is there a wart?, 2 zone air, Bose, smoking and footwell net.
- What’s the thinking on the regular steering wheel vs the MF steering wheel? ie is the MF less desirable?

Final question
- One of my main joys of driving the 981 Spyder is the exhaust note - when you really wring it out, not the overrun part. Should I be concerned?

And one last thing - any idea on the market for a 981 Spyder with <7K miles - GT silver with Classic interior. Gulp - can’t believe I’m saying that!

Color: ARROW!!!

Wheels: Platinium

Interior: definitely go with yellow dev stitching, however NOTE: because you are PTS the interior paint is *NOT* included ... you will have to pick a different trim or spec CXX to paint it

Old 11-05-2020, 12:22 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema

Question 1 - color

Question 2 - wheels

Question 3 - interior

If I got red iron brakes

Question 4 - options

Final question

Wow. Me personally, if your SA really has a PTS spot and you're willing to pay the extra $12k, I would jump on it but that's just me.

1. Color is such a subjective thing so it's difficult for one person to "tell" you what to buy but rather maybe instead how about provide some suggestions. Have you looked at Rennbow.org. Great website that goes through the various colors with some sample pictures. Keep in mind that not all of the colors showing on Rennbow are available for PTS.

I will say though, my personal opinion is I think the Spyder looks best in bright colors. I've never seen the BRG in person so really can't comment on it but maybe call around some of your local dealers and check to see if any of them has a color sample. It may be hard to find a BRG sample but at least you can try and start there.

2. I started of wanting silver wheels and my wife wanted black. When I saw the platinum wheels, I immediately switched because it was a nice in-between color. Not too bright like the silver and not black. I didn't like the black because it hides the design of the wheels and these wheels actually look nice so I went with platinum.

3. I considered PCCB but the cost of replacing the rotors scared me off to be honest. I don't plan on tracking my car but this will be my forever car and the thought of paying $25k+ down the road for rotors was something that I couldn't do so we kept it with the standard brakes but I did change the caliper colors to black.

I do believe the yellow on the calipers is different than the yellow stitching as I thought I read sometime ago in one of the many threads but I could be wrong as I didn't really keep it in the back of my mind since I wouldn't purchase a yellow car. I like it and it looks nice but to have it in my garage is not for me.

Don't forget that if you do pick blue or green for exterior, Porsche does offer a Speed Blue and Lizard Green interior. Not exact color matches for the colors you're looking at but at least they're in the same family. Personally, I selected silver since my exterior is already a bright color and I think the silver interior gives it a little bit of a muted and classy look but because it's still deviated stitching, still looks unique.

4. I don't believe there is anyway to remove the wart on US models and still wondering if the wart is painted or not on PTS models.

I did get the MF leather steering wheel because my car is not a track car and more of a weekend cruiser, weekend in Las Vegas, cars and coffee, etc type car so I do want some of the conveniences and luxury.

This brings me to my next point is if you're ok with Alcanatara/Race-Tex on your steering wheel, then no need to change to leather but as there have been some discussions here about some people liking the Race-Tex and other not liking it, you may want to consider the change based on your opinion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 11-05-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

PCCB are Speed Yellow. Any other yellow on the car both exterior and interior (trim, stitching, gauges, belts) is Racing Yellow. I don't think that any interior RY bits would clash with the SY calipers -- too far from one another. Racing Yellow exterior paint, different story.

I agree that the Spyder welcomes brighter colors. I'd just order Racing Yellow or Python Green paint with silver wheels and save $13k ($10k). But color is very personal -- I wouldn't pay $13k for a color suggested by someone else. Good luck!

Last edited by hf1; 11-05-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:40 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 294 Posts

Does anyone have a hard time getting the event key (v code) from PCNA? Every time I call in it's hit or miss, and I was just transferred to PECLA (LOL) and they obviously had no idea what I was talking about. I suspect the best way is to ask the SA? I just hate to bug him every week lol.

The PCNA rep did give me some bad news, my GT4's delivery date has been pushed back to 4/16/2021 from 2/20/2021.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skafia
Does anyone have a hard time getting the event key (v code) from PCNA? Every time I call in it's hit or miss, and I was just transferred to PECLA (LOL) and they obviously had no idea what I was talking about. I suspect the best way is to ask the SA? I just hate to bug him every week lol.

The PCNA rep did give me some bad news, my GT4's delivery date has been pushed back to 4/16/2021 from 2/20/2021.
get your SA to send you a screen shot of the internal ordering system - takes less than a minute for these lazy b******* to pull it up, snap it, and email it...
Old 11-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for the responses. I am gravitating towards Mexico or Riviera Blue. I've seen Mexico but not positive I've seen Riviera.

Question based on the photos below for those who are very familiar (I know you are Larry but couldn't post a photo in a PM). In the second photo below, is the Mexico on the right really have that much purple in it, or is it more like the first photo. My recollection was it was more like the first photo.

Below is Mexico:

On the left is Riviera and on the right is Mexico:

Quick Reply: Check in if you have a Paint to Sample PTS car on order