Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Xpel Tracwrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:00 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts
Default Xpel Tracwrap

Curious if anyone has any experience with Xpel Tracwrap? My Spyder was delivered late last week and my PPF/Ceramic install isn't scheduled until September 8th. So over two weeks of waiting with naked paint. I bought two rolls of the 4" Xpel Tracwrap, but was curious what is the longest you can keep it on for? I did a search, but info seems all over the board. It's garaged so no direct sunlight, if that matters for storage conditions. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2020, 07:19 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Ha... my PPF installer just sent me this note:

“The track wrap is meant to be a temporary installation. The longer it is left on the car the harder the adhesive grabs. If it’s left on more than a couple days it can be a real pain to remove. Any bubbles between the film and the paint can leave what is called “bag disease”. This is when any trapped moisture in the air bubble heats in the sun under the film and it leaves foggy spots in the paint that require machine buffing to remove. It is best to put it on right before you plan to drive the car so when you get to me I can remove it right away.”

So it will stay in the garage as a trophy car for the next two weeks!
The following 2 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
InTgr8r (08-24-2020), sonicworld (08-26-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:07 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Ha... my PPF installer just sent me this note:

“The track wrap is meant to be a temporary installation. The longer it is left on the car the harder the adhesive grabs. If it’s left on more than a couple days it can be a real pain to remove. Any bubbles between the film and the paint can leave what is called “bag disease”. This is when any trapped moisture in the air bubble heats in the sun under the film and it leaves foggy spots in the paint that require machine buffing to remove. It is best to put it on right before you plan to drive the car so when you get to me I can remove it right away.”

So it will stay in the garage as a trophy car for the next two weeks!
Yes, sounds about right. Same advice I got from my installer as well.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:45 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

good to know.
I had always thought it might be a good solution with Euro delivery.
...not that it matters any longer.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

I once had it on for a month on GT4 for ED. Was a little difficult to remove, but no real issue
Old 08-28-2020, 07:02 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
good to know.
I had always thought it might be a good solution with Euro delivery.
...not that it matters any longer.
I’m shooting for ED in Spring. Was considering Trac Wrap now not so sure. May be best to get PPF in Germany. Btw, I don’t see the option for PPF at the factory on the configurator (Boxster GTS 4.0). I thought that recently became an option.

Originally Posted by GrantG
I once had it on for a month on GT4 for ED. Was a little difficult to remove, but no real issue
Good to know. I guess it’s better than nothing. How easy was it to apply without major creases and bubbles?
Old 08-28-2020, 02:41 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I’m shooting for ED in Spring. Was considering Trac Wrap now not so sure. May be best to get PPF in Germany. Btw, I don’t see the option for PPF at the factory on the configurator (Boxster GTS 4.0). I thought that recently became an option.

Good to know. I guess it’s better than nothing. How easy was it to apply without major creases and bubbles?
Its not easy to apply without bubbles and creases. If you just treat it as temporary and don’t care too much about how it looks (and take pictures from further away) it’ll be fine. You can also consider spending a couple hours weekly to remove/replace if you’re really worried about it. If you want a professional look, you’re not going to get that out of tracwrap unless you spend as much time as a detailer would installing ppf in the first place. I would say in that case, to just get some ppf in Europe and tear it off when you get back and have your local shop redo it. That is if you need a specific standard of quality/seamless installation. I’ve seen the work of the Porsche recommended shops in photos on Rennlist and it’s decent but we all have different standards. I’d urge you to search around and see threads where people have done it and see if you need to incur the double cost.

Last edited by blackholescion; 08-28-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I was concerned that creases and bubbles would damage the paint as explained by the detailer above. Not worried about aesthetics too much. Is it a consensus that German PPF installers are not up to par with US standards?

Quick Reply: Xpel Tracwrap