Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Akrapovic Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 04:19 AM
CZ718GT4
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Akrapovic Aftermarket Exhaust

I'm looking for some information on the following Akrapovic exhaust for my 718 GT4.

I'm being recommended this by my local garage/tuning centre.. They are focusing on Porsches, BMW M cars and motorbikes and I'm a little worried they are just pushing this as they are using Akrapovic for their bikes.

Also what are the other options and how do they compare in terms of weight, sound and performance?

Old 08-19-2020, 05:10 AM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have any data points on Akrapovic exhaust and honestly hearing the name for the first time but here are couple of related threads related other options:
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...velopment.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-point-43.html

I think Soul, JCR, Fabspeed have all started shipping different exhaust options for 718 GT4 now.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:24 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Akrapovic has been making very high quality and durable exhaust for a while. Their stuff is top notch and not a lot of exhaust manufacturers out there use titanium in their exhaust systems. In my book Akrapovic is the best option and most reliable brand out there.

I currently have Akrapovic Center Muffler on my 997.2 GT3 and am interested in the new system they have developed for the GT4/Spyder platform as I will be replacing my current car with a Spyder.

You do not need to be concerned with the quality or their performance I honestly am curious about what kind of weight savings and dyno graph (most exhaust systems lose hp/tq on low end before 3,000 RPMs) their new system for the GT4/Spyder platform will offer though.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:12 AM
CZ718GT4
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
You do not need to be concerned with the quality or their performance I honestly am curious about what kind of weight savings and dyno graph (most exhaust systems lose hp/tq on low end before 3,000 RPMs) their new system for the GT4/Spyder platform will offer though.
Good to hear on the build quality. Looking at the dyno graph on the spec page it looks a little underwhelming. However, visually it looks great, and I'm sure there's some considerable weight saving as well.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:06 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Akrapovic is a very high-end company and, honestly, I would wait to see what they bring to the table before considering any other product. I know both Audi RS and Mercedes AMG have contracted with them to supply OEM+ options. The other companies to possibly wait for are Armytrix and Capristo.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:50 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

They have released their product line for the 718 GT4 on their website. Not surprised that they are the first to have heat shielding as standard on their over axle OPF delete pipes. Akra is one of the very best exhaust manufacturers. If I am not pleased with the OEM exhaust I will certainly get the akra exhaust to replace the OEM.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:07 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT325
They have released their product line for the 718 GT4 on their website. Not surprised that they are the first to have heat shielding as standard on their over axle OPF delete pipes. Akra is one of the very best exhaust manufacturers. If I am not pleased with the OEM exhaust I will certainly get the akra exhaust to replace the OEM.
This full listing is new. Excited to hear sound clips !!

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...5&modelId=1119

Although it looks like the GPF delete pipes have the bung for a sensor and is spec'd for European models. We will have to wait to see if they release a version without the bung or whether it can simply be plugged

Last edited by VVG; 08-19-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:22 PM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
This full listing is new. Excited to hear sound clips !!

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...5&modelId=1119

Although it looks like the GPF delete pipes have the bung for a sensor and is spec'd for European models. We will have to wait to see if they release a version without the bung or whether it can simply be plugged
Called my local dealer and apparently you have to do a ECU program for the European cars to use the OPF delete without a warning light
Old 08-19-2020, 12:45 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
Called my local dealer and apparently you have to do a ECU program for the European cars to use the OPF delete without a warning light
For the North American market:

https://tagmotorsports.com/akrapovic...pyder-gts-4-0l

Old 08-19-2020, 12:48 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
That’s.........cheaper than I expected.
The following users liked this post:
Sean in Texas (09-07-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

its certainly not as expensive as other Akra products ... but that's a LOT of money to make it sound better - I'd be more likely to buy a set of l/w forged wheels ... which will actually improve the car
Old 08-19-2020, 04:59 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 115 Posts

Akrapovic quality is some of the very best. However, the problem I have with Akrapovic is their systems are usually very quiet. Sometimes quieter then stock. I don't see the point of installing a system, especially at that price point, with a minimal change in sound.

If you are looking to increase sound, I would stick with Soul or JCR.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay101
Akrapovic quality is some of the very best. However, the problem I have with Akrapovic is their systems are usually very quiet. Sometimes quieter then stock. I don't see the point of installing a system, especially at that price point, with a minimal change in sound.

If you are looking to increase sound, I would stick with Soul or JCR.
Disagree. I had link pipes and centre bypass on my 991.2 GT3. People loved the sound, many compliments at the track as did I. However with link pipes it was too loud all the time. Wish it had valves. I took off the link pipes this year and sound is still better than stock with just the centre delete. It also has the right tone to match the car instead or a more muscular tone.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:46 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
That’s.........cheaper than I expected.
Exactly what i was thinking compared to other Akra products. That's good!!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:58 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CZ718GT4
I'm looking for some information on the following Akrapovic exhaust for my 718 GT4.

I'm being recommended this by my local garage/tuning centre.. They are focusing on Porsches, BMW M cars and motorbikes and I'm a little worried they are just pushing this as they are using Akrapovic for their bikes.

Also what are the other options and how do they compare in terms of weight, sound and performance?
Is one of the top companies, and probable the best one for titanium, they spend a lot in R&D so expect the best from the aftermarket industry among Capristo and Cargraphics . I'm actually waiting their solution before making my final decision

Quick Reply: Akrapovic Aftermarket Exhaust