Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Akrapovic Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 12:42 PM
perfe.gt4
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone perhaps know if tail pipes can be mounted on a stock exhaust?
Old 11-07-2022, 02:25 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by perfe.gt4
Does anyone perhaps know if tail pipes can be mounted on a stock exhaust?
My research says no, you cannot install Akra tips on a stock muffler without adding some type of material to the stock pipe. I wish it were different.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:27 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4MF
https://youtu.be/iFq7Toadaq4

This seems to be OPF delete with Akra exhaust

Damn, I want those tips on my car but I don't want $5,000 worth of muffler. Someone get on this.

I like the sound of this setup, too, minus the obvious distortion that comes not from the car itself.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 11-07-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:37 PM
perfe.gt4
Advanced

Care to elaborate more?
I assume the hose diameters are different?
Found this picture in another thread:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...997c6f729.jpeg
Old 11-07-2022, 02:42 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Damn, I want those tips on my car but I don't want $5,000 worth of muffler. Someone get on this.

I like the sound of this setup, too, minus the obvious distortion that comes not from the car itself.
The tips are very nice . . . the sound must be an acquired tasted that I have yet to acquire

You would think Akra has picked up on fact that people love their tips and could make a version that fits OEM rear box?

I mean, the tips themselves cost damn near what other aftermarket exhausts cost, so Akra could make some coin for their efforts.

Perhaps Akra does not want their tips on anything other than their exhausts?

Avera
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 02:47 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
The tips are very nice . . . the sound must be an acquired tasted that I have yet to acquire

You would think Akra has picked up on fact that people love their tips and could make a version that fits OEM rear box?

I mean, the tips themselves cost damn near what other aftermarket exhausts cost, so Akra could make some coin for their efforts.

Avera
Admittedly, it's pretty hard to determine whether one likes the sound from that clip alone. Lots going on there. But if I filter out the buzzy distortion, I like the low bass note that the Akra provides over the screaming I hear from some of the other options. But I realize the scream is more Porsche GT than is the low growl so I get why most guys prefer that.

And I agree with your last sentence. Surely they must constantly field requests for just the tips and have chosen not to make them for the stock exhaust despite the cash cow they could be.
Avera (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 02:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perfe.gt4
Care to elaborate more?
I assume the hose diameters are different?
Found this picture in another thread:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...997c6f729.jpeg

Diameter of the stock output pipes is smaller than Akra tips is what I've read in multiple places.

Some guy on ebay sells a version of the Akra tips but when I inquired he was unable to confirm fitment from Akra.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38421999144...&segname=11051

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 11-07-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:58 PM
perfe.gt4
Advanced

Thank you, I was afraid that would be the case. Ordering a pair of tail pipes isn't a problem, I got the offer from several dealers but only today I stumbled across this 'fitment' dilemma.
Can some here take a measurement so we can sort this out?
Stock pipes diameter is 59,5 mm.

Last edited by perfe.gt4; 11-07-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:29 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Admittedly, it's pretty hard to determine whether one likes the sound from that clip alone. Lots going on there. But if I filter out the buzzy distortion, I like the low bass note that the Akra provides over the screaming I hear from some of the other options. But I realize the scream is more Porsche GT than is the low growl so I get why most guys prefer that.
Agreed sir

I am not a fan of the raspy growl . . . not MY ‘taste’

Others seem to really like it

Avera
Old 11-07-2022, 03:54 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
$8,056 for a rear section is pretty steep. I would love to see inside the boxes to see what's happening. So drone free upgrade over stock with its own unique tone? I would be interesting to hear this unit with resonated OAP's.

Here's a decent video, forum member I believe:

Last edited by UncleDude; 11-07-2022 at 03:56 PM.
SpyderSenseOC (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 04:13 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
$8,056 for a rear section is pretty steep. I would love to see inside the boxes to see what's happening. So drone free upgrade over stock with its own unique tone? I would be interesting to hear this unit with resonated OAP's.

Here's a decent video, forum member I believe:
https://youtu.be/_VZVnA6P9G0

I like it. But that video also has some of the "rocks in a tin can" distortion to it as well. I'm never going to be in at the pricepoint most of these aftermarkets are demanding. I'm good with a used set of Akra OAP's, some $10 collars and (eventually) a plug.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:39 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,086 Likes on 540 Posts

Akra is a lot of $ for a marginal tone and volume change. I am looking for a used one to pair with R-OAPs, but then again may as well just buy a Kline. IMO the Kline is the only system that is almost drone free and sounds great, just annoying that it has to pair with the Kline OAP's, but I get that it is their OAP & muffler combo together that delivers their good sound.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:19 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera

Avera
I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded question. Probably Akrapovic does not want their tips on other exhaust systems. When I had my old car, I bought a used Akrapovic center muffler without the tips. Then reached out to Vivid Racing as an official dealer to purchase a set of tips, they asked to verify that I actually own an Akrapovic muffler and sent them photos with the serial code to prove my ownership. So Akrapovic is most likely trying to protect their brand image and exclusivity.

The tips indeed do look amazing, no denying that. Also, Akrapovic manufactures the exhaust tips for GT4 RS Weissach Package, so they can easily make a set that works on OEM muffler. They probably do not want to.

In regards to Akrapovic Slip On, recently had it installed on my car along with OEM GPF filters back on (wanted to avoid having a very loud car). Idle and down low the car has a very deep and bassy tone, above 3,000 RPMs is when it starts sounding good and up high sings like a bird. With the valves set to open it is a bit much for my taste in city stop-and-go traffic, on open roads it sounds phenomenal. Overall the character of the sound has not changed much in my personal opinion between Akrapovic OAP + Stock muffler vs. Akrapovic Slip On + Stock GPF. The car is slightly louder compared to before. There are a bit less crackles and pops now, and the super loud gunshot like single pop on the over-run about 5-6k RPM is also gone and shall be missed. In terms of pricing, you can find Akrapovic Slip On used on the forum usually for around $5k. A standard steel OAP is roughly $1,500, when you add Akrapovic Tips on top ($1k) you're already halfway there for the price of a used Akrapovic muffler.
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
Avera (11-07-2022), UncleDude (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 05:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded question. Probably Akrapovic does not want their tips on other exhaust systems. When I had my old car, I bought a used Akrapovic center muffler without the tips. Then reached out to Vivid Racing as an official dealer to purchase a set of tips, they asked to verify that I actually own an Akrapovic muffler and sent them photos with the serial code to prove my ownership. So Akrapovic is most likely trying to protect their brand image and exclusivity.

The tips indeed do look amazing, no denying that. Also, Akrapovic manufactures the exhaust tips for GT4 RS Weissach Package, so they can easily make a set that works on OEM muffler. They probably do not want to.

In regards to Akrapovic Slip On, recently had it installed on my car along with OEM GPF filters back on (wanted to avoid having a very loud car). Idle and down low the car has a very deep and bassy tone, above 3,000 RPMs is when it starts sounding good and up high sings like a bird. With the valves set to open it is a bit much for my taste in city stop-and-go traffic, on open roads it sounds phenomenal. Overall the character of the sound has not changed much in my personal opinion between Akrapovic OAP + Stock muffler vs. Akrapovic Slip On + Stock GPF. The car is slightly louder compared to before. There are a bit less crackles and pops now, and the super loud gunshot like single pop on the over-run about 5-6k RPM is also gone and shall be missed. In terms of pricing, you can find Akrapovic Slip On used on the forum usually for around $5k. A standard steel OAP is roughly $1,500, when you add Akrapovic Tips on top ($1k) you're already halfway there for the price of a used Akrapovic muffler.
Is there a big jump in volume when the valves open? I wonder if that cheap collar mod would work / be effective on this rear section. I have that on the stock section now and it is a killer mod for the money. Mine is set so I *just* hear a difference between valves open and closed. Now when the valves do fully open I don't notice it as much and it is still tame at low speeds.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Now when the valves do fully open I don't notice it as much and it is still tame at low speeds.
Exactly why I'll probably put my collars back on, to go with the Akra OAP's and the stock muffler I presently have on it. As it stands now, the Akra OAP's increase volume significantly, and that increase really makes the valve operation far too obvious for me. It's like a switch has been flipped instead of a gradually increasing sound that appears connected to throttle opening and not a solenoid. Long and short of it, I need some miles on it in the present condition so I can get my head around the where, how and why of the valves in conjunction with the symposer. So much debate on the symposer, too, that I guess I just have to hear it for myself.

Quick Reply: Akrapovic Aftermarket Exhaust