Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 03:08 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I certainly didn't mean to imply you were slower, lot's of FTDs certainly make that clear - I was just saying that my more even wear probably wasn't because I was taking it easy.
No worries and it's actually a valid point to cover, because you are right: the driver and pace makes a big difference on tire wear. I've had the (mis)fortune of overhearing lots of different conversations at events (autocross, DE, even W2W racing) about car setup, driving tips, etc. from folks that really probably shouldn't be giving it.... and I know that's 10-fold on an internet forum

It sounds like the biggest difference is the tires and your increased understeer setup (front bar set up the opposite of mine). I have to stay on 20" inch wheels due to my PCCBs so I can't ever try the taller sidewalls of a 19" tire. I know 19" has its advantages, but I'd guess they are also likely to roll to the outer edge a little more and put more wear on the shoulder, especially with the limited camber than we can get to with factory parts.

Add that to the additional lateral abrasion from the understeer acting on what I'm pretty sure is softer/stickier rubber on the RE-71R (despite the 200 vs 180 wear rating on the SC2) and it probably makes sense you are seeing more shoulder wear.
Yeah I definitely make the rears do more work with this setup - I'm able to get on the power much harder and much sooner this way, than I did before I made the bar change.... and I have a lot less cockpit-karate going on because the rear end tends to stay put despite an aggressive right foot. Based on wear, I'm likely just getting a lot of squat in the rear from mid-corner to corner exit and the camber change is eating up the outside edge.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that (as I've since relocated 800 miles) the new lot I've been running in is fairly slippery with not a ton of grip (hot black asphalt with a lot of sealer). I've found that leaving the shocks in the soft mode nets me a lot more grip (tho I do get some extra heave in transitions). This extra body roll is also likely contributing to the outer shoulder wear since I'm getting more camber gain with the squat.

Overall - I am just hoping against hope that I might be able to get a tiny bit more camber in the rear. Maybe I'll pony up and take the car to Goldcrest and have them do an alignment and center the subframes. I can otherwise align and corner balance the car myself but I don't want to mess with the subframes.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:16 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,131 Likes on 558 Posts

"I run the bars at full hard front, middle setting in the rear. It makes the car a little pushy on the way in, but it puts the power down much better on exit. I can trail brake it in to dig the nose in."

Very good point for the mild push on entry. This is not a bad thing, cause the minute you start to trail brake you are inducing oversteer to balance the corner entry understeer and end up neutral. You can finish the trail with a touch more steering angle and induce a mild kick of over steer to add that final bit of rotation as you transition to gas. Then when you are powering out of the corner and are inducing a bit of throttle oversteer, you can use more of the gas pedal sooner if you have that inherent bit of stablizing understeer. So when you are poking around the track warming up or cooling off the tires, a well set up car may have a hint of understeer. But when you are up to full speed and on the limits of adhesion, then the car is perfectly balanced for that type of driving.

So daaa nope, unless your car is spot on for you, maybe going to a HM setting on the front bar might help reduce the understeer just a bit to even better balance your car. It would appear that the MM / MM setting wasn't working for you since you are at HH / MM now. Just a thought.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 07-28-2022 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
No worries and it's actually a valid point to cover, because you are right: the driver and pace makes a big difference on tire wear. I've had the (mis)fortune of overhearing lots of different conversations at events (autocross, DE, even W2W racing) about car setup, driving tips, etc. from folks that really probably shouldn't be giving it.... and I know that's 10-fold on an internet forum

Yeah I definitely make the rears do more work with this setup - I'm able to get on the power much harder and much sooner this way, than I did before I made the bar change.... and I have a lot less cockpit-karate going on because the rear end tends to stay put despite an aggressive right foot. Based on wear, I'm likely just getting a lot of squat in the rear from mid-corner to corner exit and the camber change is eating up the outside edge.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that (as I've since relocated 800 miles) the new lot I've been running in is fairly slippery with not a ton of grip (hot black asphalt with a lot of sealer). I've found that leaving the shocks in the soft mode nets me a lot more grip (tho I do get some extra heave in transitions). This extra body roll is also likely contributing to the outer shoulder wear since I'm getting more camber gain with the squat.

Overall - I am just hoping against hope that I might be able to get a tiny bit more camber in the rear. Maybe I'll pony up and take the car to Goldcrest and have them do an alignment and center the subframes. I can otherwise align and corner balance the car myself but I don't want to mess with the subframes.

You make a good point on softer = more grip. Since having my MCS 2 -way remote dampers and trying a BUNCH of settings, I find that I have the most grip when the car is set up a little on the softer side. There is some additional vertical movements at higher speeds and when encountering dips and bumps in the road, but I have the most lateral grip.

As I tighten the car up, it gets more edgy and has a quicker break away, and the ultimate amount of grip decreases a little. The steering also gets lighter in general and more responsive, sometimes too responsive as things are tightened up.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:03 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 309 Posts

RE-71Rs, 305/30-19 in the rear. I'm usually FTD, so I'm not slow either. Depending on the event and depth of the talent pool I can be FTD by 2s (PCA) or within a few tenths (SCCA).

I've settled in on 30F/31R for pressures - did that via using a pyrometer and playing with pressures a few events ago to make sure I had a roughly linear spread of temps across the tire (inner being hottest, outer being coolest, split the difference for the middle of the tread). IIRC there wasn't much spread across the tire though.

I run the bars at full hard front, middle setting in the rear. It makes the car a little pushy on the way in, but it puts the power down much better on exit. I can trailbrake it in to dig the nose in.
I ran middle front stiff rear. 28/32 pressures on BFG Rival 1.5’s. Great wear, well over 200 runs and managed to win the Peru Tour in ‘20 on those.

what’s your rear toe?
Old 07-28-2022, 09:59 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by aarodynamics
@jreifler I wonder if the R7 is narrower and taller than a Dunlop SMR2 N-spec tire 🤷‍♂️
For me and other GT4s I've driven the track didn't matter unless you're never going over curbs.
Where are you rubbing on the inside and what do you believe causes it?
Also, what are your alignment settings?
Fwiw, I also have the stiffer springs but that would only mitigate the issue (same with ride height).
R7 295/35 are pretty “tall” compared to other brands. I made a chart once with relative diameters and widths, but can’t find it at the moment.

The rubbing is super marginal. Certainly not noticeable while driving, and it’s towards the front of the inner rear wheel well - at the very front edge of the rear tire.

It’s a track-only setup, so I have pretty much max camber dialed in front and rear (2.5 and 1 degree toe in at rear to stabilize under braking). Tarrett cup control arms front and rear, and Tarrett links as well. I genuinely think the cause is just that the R7s are beefy, so under heavy load, they ever so slightly rub. It’s not even noticeable on the tire itself.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
R7 295/35 are pretty “tall” compared to other brands. I made a chart once with relative diameters and widths, but can’t find it at the moment.

The rubbing is super marginal. Certainly not noticeable while driving, and it’s towards the front of the inner rear wheel well - at the very front edge of the rear tire.

It’s a track-only setup, so I have pretty much max camber dialed in front and rear (2.5 and 1 degree toe in at rear to stabilize under braking). Tarrett cup control arms front and rear, and Tarrett links as well. I genuinely think the cause is just that the R7s are beefy, so under heavy load, they ever so slightly rub. It’s not even noticeable on the tire itself.
I assume you mean 1mm toe each side, not 1 degree.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:25 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

I assume you mean 1mm toe each side, not 1 degree.
Correct. Sorry.

Edit - The stiffer Tarrett springs made a noticeable difference in stability under braking.

Last edited by jreifler; 07-28-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:19 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
I ran middle front stiff rear. 28/32 pressures on BFG Rival 1.5’s. Great wear, well over 200 runs and managed to win the Peru Tour in ‘20 on those.

what’s your rear toe?
3mm total rear toe
Old 07-31-2022, 03:19 AM
aarodynamics
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

3mm total rear toe
1 mm toe in at rear to stabilize under braking
I've found Caymans need a minimum of 5mm total rear toe with TPC offset toe links and 6mm total rear toe with any other toe links.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:22 AM
aarodynamics
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I genuinely think the cause is just that the R7s are beefy, so under heavy load, they ever so slightly rub. It’s not even noticeable on the tire itself.
Are you running a 295/35-19?
What is the wheel size and offset you're running?
Old 07-31-2022, 10:27 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by aarodynamics
I've found Caymans need a minimum of 5mm total rear toe with TPC offset toe links and 6mm total rear toe with any other toe links.
Does this cause increased wear on the street?
Old 07-31-2022, 11:21 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Does this cause increased wear on the street?
Not just on street. I had to decrease toe to 1mm each side to reduce rear tire wear, the insides were wearing crazy fast at 3mm toe in. No wiggle under braking at 2mm total either.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Not just on street. I had to decrease toe to 1mm each side to reduce rear tire wear, the insides were wearing crazy fast at 3mm toe in. No wiggle under braking at 2mm total either.
I will have to look up what the rear toe is set to on mine, but given the amount of track time I get, I won't be making a change here, the wear is nominal on the street, and I can live with wiggle on the track.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:35 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,131 Likes on 558 Posts

I went from 11-12 minutes to 14-15 minutes on the rear for my last alignment along with the stiffer swift front springs. Car is much more stable under braking now and even better in the high speed sweepers too. That equates to about 2mm going to 2.5mm. I think either number can work for those who frequent the track. Most of my driving is to the track or on it, so tire wear is not an issue. They wear out before there is any serious unevenness. I do have TPC toe links as well. For reference, I believe the GT4 Clubsport cars run about 15-17 minutes of toe in for the rear axle.

Maybe 3 mm (18 minutes) is too much for most as mentioned above, but it should be at least 1-2 mm (6-12 minutes) of toe in for the rear depending on your driving preferences.

All numbers mentioned here are per wheel, so you can double any of the numbers to get the total toe. There are of course 60 minutes in 1 degree, so for the example above, 12 minutes equals 12/60 or .2 degrees. It just amazes me how much difference there is between .1 and .2 degrees of toe-in on the rear end of the car when driven at the limits. Again we are talking about tenths of a degree, but when you are going 100+ mph it doesn't take much.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 08-01-2022 at 02:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aarodynamics (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 06:52 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I went from 11-12 minutes to 14-15 minutes on the rear for my last alignment along with the stiffer swift front springs. Car is much more stable under braking now and even better in the high speed sweepers too. That equates to about 2mm going to 2.5mm. I think either number can work for those who frequent the track. Most of my driving is to the track or on it, so tire wear is not an issue. They wear out before there is any unevenness. I do have TPC toe links as well. Maybe 3 mm is too much for most, but it should be at least 1-2 mm of toe in for the rear depending on your driving preferences. For reference, I believe the GT4 Clubsport cars run about 15-17 minutes of toe in for the rear axle.

When talking about toe settings, it would be helpful to keep the unit of measure consistent. You talk about MM, then move to minutes. I think it would be helpful for those who are not well versed on how alignment measurements works to stay with a common denominator.

I still get lost when converting MM to minutes, to degrees, to inches.

Quick Reply: GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge