Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Submitted the Wrong Build Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 01:21 AM
GTChamp
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Dealer Submitted the Wrong Build Code

Ordered from a prominent dealer in Los Angeles.... I've been on the list for a 718 GT4 since late last year. On May 22, I emailed the Porsche SA my latest build code for a Miami Blue GT4 with Gloss Black Brakes, Bucket Seats, Bose, etc. The SA responded confirming they got the new code and submitted it. A new SA took over my build because the prior SA apparently was no longer with the dealer. Build locked 6/5. The SA sent me confirmation that my build would begin on 7/17. Exciting!

Because of the transition and other parts of the transaction that were botched (they originally disputed the fact that my order was at MSRP), I thought I should double check the build so I re-sent my build code on 7/22 and asked them to confirm that was the build submitted. Lo and behold, the SA responded with a different build code that excludes the black calipers and bose sound. The new SA said they can cancel my order and re-order but it probably won't deliver until sometime in 2021. I'm aghast and pretty upset. This has been my dream car since the 981 GT4 came out and will be my first Porsche purchase. It has taken 12+ working years to be positioned to afford this kind of car and the order got botched by the dealer.

My initial thought is to a) ask them to reach out to Porsche manufacturing to amend the build given that it might only have started a few days ago or b) ask them to take delivery and install the black calipers and bose upon arrival. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this kind of issue? I know the driving experience itself will be great but I'm honestly flabbergasted with the dealership sales team's lack of followthrough.

Last edited by GTChamp; 07-25-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:31 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

certainly a bummer! would think black calipers would be easy swap, not sure about Bose
the real issue is the color, if they can't get you a build before the cutoff for Miami Blue (think someone posted November)

I would ask them to swap with another dealer and get the build the way you want
if it's a prominent dealer, shouldn't be an issue
just make sure they get it in before Miami Blue goes away

or if they can swap when your car arrives for all of the items you want, no harm, no foul

last option, 2021 delivery
you've waited this long, might as well wait a bit longer to get what you want (assuming there's another color you want)
or ask them to do Miami Blue and comp you the price of Custom Color

hang in there, it's worth the wait!
Originally Posted by GTChamp
Ordered from a prominent dealer in Los Angeles.... I've been on the list for a GT4 since late last year. On May 22, I emailed the Porsche SA my latest build code for a Miami Blue GT4 with Gloss Black Brakes, Bucket Seats, Bose, etc. The SA responded confirming they got the new code and submitted it. A new SA took over my build because the prior SA apparently was no longer with the dealer. The SA sent me confirmation that my build would begin 7/17. Exciting!

Because of the transition and other parts of the transaction that were botched (they originally disputed the fact that my order was at MSRP), I thought I should double check the build so I re-sent my build code on 7/22 and asked them to confirm that was the build submitted. Lo and behold, the SA responded with a different build code that excludes the black calipers and bose sound. The new SA said they can cancel my order and re-order but it probably won't deliver until sometime in 2021. I'm aghast and pretty upset. This has been my dream car since the 981 GT4 came out and will be my first Porsche purchase. It has taken 12+ working years to be positioned to afford this kind of car and the order got botched by the dealer.

My initial thought is to a) ask them to reach out to Porsche manufacturing to amend the build given that it might only have started 2 days ago or b) ask them to take delivery and install the black calipers and bose upon arrival. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this kind of issue? I know the driving experience itself will be great but I'm honestly flabbergasted with the dealership sales team's lack of followthrough.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSF101:
AlexCeres (07-25-2020), Metalblond (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 02:11 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

Ordered from a prominent dealer in Los Angeles.... .....Anyone have experience with this kind of issue? I know the driving experience itself will be great but I'm honestly flabbergasted with the dealership sales team's lack of follow through.
Ask to see the full scheduling process for your car. It will look something like the attached. Don't accept the word of your SA, get management involved.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:31 AM
GTChamp
Advanced

She did send this. Is it possible they can add the two things during the month it is being built?
Old 07-25-2020, 02:59 AM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts

She did send this. Is it possible they can add the two things during the month it is being built?
How long ago did you get this build schedule? If that was today and the build has been delayed to the point that is hasn't gone into V250 you should be able to change it.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:02 AM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Stroby
How long ago did you get this build schedule? If that was today and the build has been delayed to the point that is hasn't gone into V250 you should be able to change it.
+1. If it's still V200, should have no issues fixing it.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:59 AM
GTChamp
Advanced

Got the order update i posted end of the last week of June

Last edited by GTChamp; 07-25-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:36 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

That sucks. It’s probably too late to change. Only way to know is call the dealer and have them try. On the plus side, you saved a few bucks. 😀 I think you won’t even notice the calipers after a bit and bose and base are both kinda junk but are sufficient (unless you like bass which bose has).

BTW, issues like this is why my dealer makes you review and sign/email approve your order. I thought that was standard practice, but I guess not.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:26 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

I feel your pain. I too, have waited a long time to afford a car like this. I also know that this car will be a long-time keeper for me as there is unlikely anything like this to be built by anyone in the future. If this happened to me, I would re-order and wait. When you are paying this much for a car, new, you should get exactly what you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
kart125 (07-25-2020), wcw67 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:38 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I agree with VVG. If you have an email exchange with build code and you can show that it's their mistake they should get you a build slot ASAP and reorder the car. If they are a big dealer they should be able to pull some strings to get another allocation fast. In 2014 I had a car dammaged during boat transport (totalled) and I was hesitant to reorder (waited 18 months for the car - did not want to wait anymore). 3 days later my salesman contacted me to confirm they got a new build slot for 2 weeks later.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

I would ask the dealer to swap allocation with another dealer.

Or wait for 2021 and have dealer pay for custom color if MB is not available as suggested above.

Or maybe you will like shark blue if it replaces MB?

Is this going to be a long term keeper or will you be moving on in a few years?

If you are not keeping it long term, try to use this screw up as leverage to get your next GT car.

Get yourself acquainted with the sales manager, they are less likely to move around.
The following users liked this post:
Rxpert (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

They didn't make you review the order and sign off on it before submission? My dealer and I sat together and very carefully went over the build to make sure it was correct.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alan_S:
Illusive991 (07-25-2020), n4v4nod (07-25-2020), phefner (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:54 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan_S
They didn't make you review the order and sign off on it before submission? My dealer and I sat together and very carefully went over the build to make sure it was correct.
Mine did the same... I submitted the code... they then sent me a build sheet with every option listed with my name and address on it to confirm it was correct.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:57 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Unfortunately, once you are past the fix date you are too late. Also a few of you said do a dealer trade. Not exactly sure why a dealer would do that. IMHO, a open allocation is worth more than a built car.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:59 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Not exactly sure why a dealer would do that. IMHO, a open allocation is worth more than a built car.
seems to me they would be worth the same (unless we are discounting or ADMing)

a built Miami Blue might actually be worth a little premium, who knows until the transactions are completed

Quick Reply: Dealer Submitted the Wrong Build Code