Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Submitted the Wrong Build Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:12 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Tell them you are getting a lawyer involved... Jackie Chiles perhaps. Maybe you can get them to make suitable concessions to your benefit (offset). I would be fuming if they bungled an order when you imparted full clarity and diligence on your end. The ball should be in their court to come up with a suitable solution
Old 07-25-2020, 05:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

**** happens. If you’re not willing to take the car, see if they can provide another allocation. If no to both, just move on. Tantrums and lawyers won’t solve anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Cherryblock (07-25-2020), Rxpert (07-26-2020), Underblu (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

The calipers are an easy fix. Remove and have powder coated or painted. Bose, not so much but IMHO it is no big loss as the sound is marginal. Sorry this happened to you. I would play it nice and see what they offer, then, take the offer and the car.
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 05:59 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

ahem..."GT4 RS or 992 GT3 allocation please", good opportunity to get your foot in the door.
The following 4 users liked this post by _nosubstitute_:
HelpMeHelpU (07-25-2020), Metalblond (07-26-2020), Rxpert (07-26-2020), Vintage72 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 06:05 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
**** happens. If you’re not willing to take the car, see if they can provide another allocation. If no to both, just move on. Tantrums and lawyers won’t solve anything.
Lawyers and/or the threat of lawyers solve plenty. It’s the way the world works. The buyer was done wrong, a dealer powder coating calipers is not likely going to be the same as a factory job. The balance needs to be tipped in favour of the buyer. The big bad corporation expects the buyer to behave accordingly, I don’t see anything wrong with the buyer to demand the same.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:10 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

You have every right to be unhappy with the dealership, but this may be an opportunity to establish a relationship as well.

As others have said, express your discontent and willingness to move forward. Take the car with some concessions on their part (discount, service plan, PPF, extended warranty, etc...)

Then, ask them to provide you with another allocation as well and spec that one to your liking. However, they should commit to making it a low to no cost exchange of cars once the second one comes in. They will still make money on resale of the first car.

Then, you get a car at little to no cost difference to you while you wait on your next one 😀

Last edited by dmk2; 07-26-2020 at 12:33 AM.
phefner (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:41 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Lawyers and/or the threat of lawyers solve plenty. It’s the way the world works. The buyer was done wrong, a dealer powder coating calipers is not likely going to be the same as a factory job. The balance needs to be tipped in favour of the buyer. The big bad corporation expects the buyer to behave accordingly, I don’t see anything wrong with the buyer to demand the same.
That's not always true. Lawyering up will make the dealership view you as an adversary as opposed to a customer. Their objectives become very different. What's the damage here? (Legal damages, not the buyer's mere disappointment at the seller not being able to complete the deal as promised.). If the dealer can't make a car appear that meets his specification at the time he wants it, the dealer is likely to just hand back the deposit and accept losing him as a customer.

@dmk2 has the right idea here. Play nice with the dealership but make sure they know how disappointed you are. I bet there will be an acceptable outcome.
HelpMeHelpU (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Yes yes I agree, human error ok, give them the benefit of the doubt and let them offer a reasonable solution. But by the OPs initial post it sounds highly likely that this is wishful thinking. I don’t see why the OP should be inconvenienced by incompetence. Unfortunately, sometimes you need to apply a little pressure.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:14 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Tell them you are getting a lawyer involved... Jackie Chiles perhaps. Maybe you can get them to make suitable concessions to your benefit (offset). I would be fuming if they bungled an order when you imparted full clarity and diligence on your end. The ball should be in their court to come up with a suitable solution
This response sums up this country and what’s wrong with people. 🙄
The following 2 users liked this post by kyrocks:
Cherryblock (07-25-2020), Dr.Bill (07-28-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyrocks
This response sums up this country and what’s wrong with people. 🙄
ha! I am in Canada eh... sorry. So I guess both of our countries are doomed.

this isn’t a shortchange on a drive thru order, this is messing up an order of a 100k+ car. It is their main reason to exist.

I hope the dealer will step up for the OP and reach an amicable solution but I can see the writing on the wall in his tone. I just find it frustrating when a business plays the averages that the consumer won’t take any action to protect their interests. Sometimes accountability takes some coaxing.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:45 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

This is exactly why we can't have nice things. Corporations are always worried about the guy that's itching to get a lawyer involved. They've got a name for a female that wants to get the manager/police involved. What's the name of the male version who wants to get a lawyer involved?

In all seriousness, you've waited a very long time and it seems that you have a paper trail that proves the dealer messed up. I would just start with speaking to someone that can make decisions and ask them to make this right. If making it right means powder coating the wheels and going aftermarket for the Bose system and that'll make you happy, then ask for that. If you want to seriously pursue the Miami Blue, you will need to somehow find a way to get an allocation quick and as some others have suggested, your dealer may need to do a trade with another dealer. Although there may not be any incentive for another dealer to just flat out trade, your dealer may need to kick down some money to another dealer to acquire an available allocation for the Miami Blue and if you want the Miami Blue, that is what you should push for. If your dealer isn't willing to work to get you the Miami Blue, your next option would be to just walk away and immediately start making phone calls and sending emails to local dealers and start fanning out your search to locate a dealer that has an available allocation that will fit the Miami Blue timeline. Time is of the essence because you want Miami Blue and we all know that Miami Blue is going away at least as a non-PTS color and that's not even to say that it will become available as PTS once it drops from the available color choices.

There are a lot of orphaned GT4/Spyder builds because people backed out due to COVID circumstances. Your buying power has increased in this environment not necessarily to get below MSRP but I would target MSRP if you're going to walk on your current build and start over. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
What's the name of the male version who wants to get a lawyer involved?
Mr. Idontlikeitupthetailpipe
Old 07-25-2020, 09:10 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Mr. Idontlikeitupthetailpipe
I ain't fallin' for the banana in the tailpipe trick.....
Old 07-25-2020, 09:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I ain't fallin' for the banana in the tailpipe trick.....
But canucks use maple syrup for grease.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer. There is no contract and there are no damages. Take this case to a lawyer and watch him/her show you to the door. While laughing.

Quick Reply: Dealer Submitted the Wrong Build Code