Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Intro - 991.2 GT3RS to 718 Spyder - am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 09:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Congrats on the great decision! Every gt3/RS should be paired up with a Boxster of some sort. It’s not one or the other. I tried going Boxster-less for a few years, but couldn’t make it. I predict the same for you, with or without an RS.
that's what I am doing - forsaking my 911 GTS for a Spyder to keep mt GT3 company
Old 07-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Me: "Dear, I'm selling the RS and getting a Spyder, a nice slower more comfortable car we can both enjoy together and go on lovely romantic drives"
Her: "Lovely, what's the catch?... They released information on the next version GT3RS?... I guess it costs much more than your last one?..."
Me: " No, really, I'm just being responsible and considerate"
Her: "Now you've got me worried... are you well?... I really think its good you have your RS and your driving... just get anything you like"

You guys have no idea how many points I've scored with this move. Goodbye RS and bring on the Spyder. It's already the best trade-in deal I've ever made!
can you wife drive a manual?
Old 07-21-2020, 10:21 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
can you wife drive a manual?
Yes she can. I’m hoping she loves the car and makes it hers.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

Congratulations on a beautiful build. Can't wait to read your impressions of the Spyder. I'm thinking of doing the same by selling the GT3 and taking European delivery in the Spring, COVID willing.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

I traded a 2016 RS for a 2016 Spyder, then into a 2018 GT3 Manual. For the price point there isn't more fun to be found IMO.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RazzleDazzle
I traded a 2016 RS for a 2016 Spyder, then into a 2018 GT3 Manual. For the price point there isn't more fun to be found IMO.
I too traded a 991.1 GT3RS for a 991.2 GT3 manual... IMO the 991.2 GT3 manual was far less fun for me than driving a friends GT4. Ended up dumping the manual for a 991.2 GT3RS which I have really enjoyed.The Spyder is going to be a new experience for me.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:42 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Just a quick intro by a 718 Spyder newb, me! So I'll start by apologizing for any daft questions I may ask.
Been a long term GT3 and RS guy, but as the world continues its current and crazy spin I decided to take a temporary break from that segment of performance driving and ownership and plunge into something new for a while. Am I crazy to part with my RS? eeeek! I take delivery of a 718 Spyder in a few days and hope the experience will be a fun one. The idea is to have a change for a while and enjoy the open air and then go back to the GT3/RS world when the 992 models are released. Here's the build, appreciate your comments on the good, bad, and ugly. I'll post pics and stuff once I take delivery. BTW, I didn't spec the car and would have preferred ceramics and buckets but hey ho it is what it is.

Hey Haku,

It all depends, really. I have a 7.2 RS and 718 GR Spyder. I could never swap my 7.2 RS for any car. However, if yours is a 991.1 or .2 RS, then the challenges will be different. The 1.1 RS will take a significant hit as a trade-in and the 1.2 RS may take a smaller hit (depending on wether you paid above sticker when you got the 1.2 RS). The responsible thing to do would be to calculate the loss from the trade-in, savings on the sales tax on the Spyder (as a consequence of the trade-in), the negative equity generated from the sale of the RS tacked on top of the Spyder, the change in the interest rate for the loan based on how much % you go over the MSRP as a consequence of the negative equity and then figure out what you would end up paying. Once you know those numbers then figure out what is the cost of keeping the RS (loan installments if any) and insurance for the RS and see what comes out on top. If the numbers are in favor of keeping the RS then you can always sell it another time when the economy is better, wallets are heavier and private sale may bring you more money at a later date. In short figure out the Net Present Value (NPV) of the transaction.
Just a lot of math that needs to be put together based on real numbers. The most responsible thing may very well turn out to be to keep both cars at this time in the economy or to give up the Spyder now and find an allocation and spec it just as you like it. That is certainly another option. Then when that car comes in you would have had more time to figure out the sale of your RS.
Then there is the option called 'Do nothing". Simply ignore the Spyder and enjoy the RS to your heart's content.
The last option is to throw all reason to the winds and go for it!
Hope that helped!
Old 07-22-2020, 06:50 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raghu
Hey Haku,

It all depends, really. I have a 7.2 RS and 718 GR Spyder. I could never swap my 7.2 RS for any car. However, if yours is a 991.1 or .2 RS, then the challenges will be different. The 1.1 RS will take a significant hit as a trade-in and the 1.2 RS may take a smaller hit (depending on wether you paid above sticker when you got the 1.2 RS). The responsible thing to do would be to calculate the loss from the trade-in, ......
Hope that helped!
Thanks Raghu. The change is not primarily being driven by financial motive. BTW the trade-in price I'm getting for the 991.2 GT3RS is above average and its sale does make financial sense especially since I'm not driving the car much. The factors are more about usability, enjoyment, and most of all a temporary change to things I may have taken for granted like GT3's and RS's which I've had for years. Maybe a change will make me either appreciate those more, not miss them, discover a new top down driving experience which I may really like, or both. I know that I'll most likely get either a GT4RS, or 992 GT3 next year. Regardless, I think its time for a break from the 911 and try out something different. I hope it'll be enjoyable.
The following users liked this post:
TYPE911 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Gorro47
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Im going for my third kid, all under 4, so the gt4 was a nice present to take the wife on some dinners. thats "why i bought it " excuse
Old 07-22-2020, 08:11 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Gorro47
Im going for my third kid, all under 4, so the gt4 was a nice present to take the wife on some dinners. thats "why i bought it " excuse
I hope your wife doesn’t realize it is cheaper to just get her nice jewellery and a limo every time you go out!
The spyder for me will be the second 2 seater in the house that doesn’t fit the whole family.

It makes me feel good I am not the only one using some twisted logic in my mind to justify our toys. Luckily my wife seems to understand my car problem as much as I understand her shoes and purse problem.

Hi, my name is Dyim. And I have a car addiction problem.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks Raghu. The change is not primarily being driven by financial motive. BTW the trade-in price I'm getting for the 991.2 GT3RS is above average and its sale does make financial sense especially since I'm not driving the car much. The factors are more about usability, enjoyment, and most of all a temporary change to things I may have taken for granted like GT3's and RS's which I've had for years. Maybe a change will make me either appreciate those more, not miss them, discover a new top down driving experience which I may really like, or both. I know that I'll most likely get either a GT4RS, or 992 GT3 next year. Regardless, I think its time for a break from the 911 and try out something different. I hope it'll be enjoyable.
Hey Haku,

I was talking with my SA yesterday. I specifically asked about the GT4RS and 992 GT3 next year. He said both the 992GT3 and the GT3RS are most likely not until 2022. Are you able to get an allocation for the Spyder? You should be able to get at least a year worth of experience in a Spyder if you go for an allocation before the GT4RS and 992GT3 come out in 2022. From your OP it seems you did not spec the car and prefer ceramics and buckets. The buckets are truly a must on the Spyder, for the ultimate driving experience and for the looks alike. Don't compromise on that if you have made up your mind to switch. Find an allocation and go for it. Good luck and enjoy in good health.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:11 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
I hope your wife doesn’t realize it is cheaper to just get her nice jewellery and a limo every time you go out!
The spyder for me will be the second 2 seater in the house that doesn’t fit the whole family.

It makes me feel good I am not the only one using some twisted logic in my mind to justify our toys. Luckily my wife seems to understand my car problem as much as I understand her shoes and purse problem.

Hi, my name is Dyim. And I have a car addiction problem.
Lol. My wife isn't into jewelry and limo's. She's so cool with my car stuff... knows that with my level of car insanity therapy costs would be much more than the cost of me buying these cars!
Dyim, you're well on your way to be cured. My name is anonymous and I don't have a car addiction problem!
Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

What can say...
The following users liked this post:
Guaji (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 02:04 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Both cars are the pinnacle of mutually exclusive applications. An open air roadster vs a focussed track car - and while the cars have some overlap, neither can do what the other does best. It’s a very complimentary duality so if you enjoy the Spyder, my bet is you just exposed the thin edge of the wedge to an extra toy in the garage... not sure your better half will appreciate the financials of where this well travelled road ultimately leads

enjoy the journey

Last edited by DR1VEN; 07-22-2020 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DR1VEN:
66mustang (08-10-2020), JAhmed (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 02:24 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! I’m actually in the process of selling my 991.2 Weissach 3RS to get a PDK GT4.

Quick Reply: Intro - 991.2 GT3RS to 718 Spyder - am I crazy?