Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gear 1-2 grind

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021 | 10:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
you have to let the revs start dropping before u slot into second and press gas. Its worse with headers installed (more torque)
As soon as the clutch goes in the revs start dropping - I have never experienced this with any other manual.
Old 07-31-2021 | 10:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
As soon as the clutch goes in the revs start dropping - I have never experienced this with any other manual.
if you press in the clutch without completely coming off throttle first the synchro spins the wrong way you gotta wait fir the revs to drop trust me
Old 07-31-2021 | 10:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
if you press in the clutch without completely coming off throttle first the synchro spins the wrong way you gotta wait fir the revs to drop trust me
I know - I am never on the throttle when I clutch, trust me.
Old 07-31-2021 | 10:59 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I know - I am never on the throttle when I clutch, trust me.
Well alrighty then
Old 08-01-2021 | 07:00 AM
Goodwood
Racer

So far, I haven't had any 1-2 grinds in my 3 mo old GTS @1200 mi. That said, haven't done any speed shifts or high rpm 1-2 shifts. Just normal shift speeds @4-5k rpm.
A bit OT, but the problem I am having is getting into 1st while slowing down @approx 10 mph, until the car is completely warmed up. double clutching is the only way I can get it into 1st while still rolling. Is this normal?
Old 08-01-2021 | 07:04 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goodwood
A bit OT, but the problem I am having is getting into 1st while slowing down @approx 10 mph, until the car is completely warmed up. double clutching is the only way I can get it into 1st while still rolling. Is this normal?
Seems so. It does prefer the double clutch from 2->1 until it’s warmed up. Even with rev matching on.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021 | 11:48 AM
Jimmycrack
Track Day

I had ~5 grinds shifting from 1st-2nd in my first 1,000 miles, just 1 grind in the subsequent 2,000 or so. The last grind was much less crunchy and jarring as the first ones. As much as I’d like to think my improved skills and precision are responsible for this, it’s pretty clear the break in somehow helps decrease the frequency and severity of these grinds. When I was getting the grinds more frequently, I was super careful with my 1-2 shifts, and tried different techniques including double clutch upshifts and would still get the grind. The occurrences were more random than technique-dependent.
Goodwood (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021 | 11:59 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

I had it at first with NO hard 1st gear accelerations, then my Porsche Doc adjusted the cable which he said was off.
Old 08-01-2021 | 12:09 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you are having to “double clutch” this transmission there is a problem…
Old 08-02-2021 | 04:14 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

I went for a spirited drive today; first one in a while. As I approach 2K miles I was hoping this was all behind me, but I got several 1-2 grinds today. All occurred while shifting above 5K RPM. During one of the 1-2 grinds I was deliberately holding the clutch to the floor and didn't even try to let it out. I know the workarounds, but in a car like this you shouldn't have to make excuses. You should be able to drive it like any other manual transmission. I'm not optimistic Porsche will ever acknowledge it's a problem though.
Old 08-02-2021 | 04:52 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried different transmission fluid? This is an old transmission that has been around for a while, the same solutions should apply
Old 08-02-2021 | 06:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
Has anyone tried different transmission fluid? This is an old transmission that has been around for a while, the same solutions should apply
Do you mean something other than is recommended by Porsche?
Old 08-02-2021 | 06:50 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris P Lewis
I had it at first with NO hard 1st gear accelerations, then my Porsche Doc adjusted the cable which he said was off.
Is this not the first post where the dealership acknowledges a problem exists and offers a fix?
Old 08-03-2021 | 03:18 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Another week…another grind. Hard acceleration 7k shift. I seem to get 1 a week. Dealer wants me to get a recording of it which would essentially mean that I sit in my car with the iPhone recording all the time. That is just silly. I keep pointing them to the 40+ page thread and they say oh well. I just got the survey for service feedback and left poor marks this time. It’s no longer acceptable for them to tell me it’s my problem and not theirs.
The following 2 users liked this post by scooter100:
DFW01TT (08-03-2021), Goodwood (08-03-2021)
Old 08-05-2021 | 07:25 AM
My21Cayman
Cruisin'

Default The Porsche Grind

Yes, I thought I had solved it by shifting at a higher RPM, but it returned with a vengeance! So I took my new (850 miles) 718 back to the dealer. I drove with the service manager, confident I could recreate the 1st to 2nd gear grind and sure enough after 2 miles of driving, I got two grinds in a row. The service manager acknowledged that I was shifting correctly and conveyed the grind information to the technicians. They professed to be totally confused by this and acted as if it was the first time they had ever seen it. They put the car on the lift, drained the transmission fluid and checked it for any metal shavings. There were none. They replaced the fluid, they drove it, they could not recreate the grind. When I drove that car after the service, the transmission felt as solid and trouble-free as I had ever experienced.
No, I do not think this should be an issue in a performance car like this, but I understand the arguments about the synchro not catching up. When it grinds, it literally feels like it's lagging. A friend with an old 911 told me he always takes a brief pause (literally a millisecond) between all gears before shifting into the higher gear. I actually tried this in the days PRIOR to my second appointment, and it seemed to work. It also felt quite natural. (I used the standard shifting method when I was with the technician because I knew I could recreate the grind).
So, #1; try having the transmission fluid replaced and continue shifting using the method you normally do.
#2; if you can get hundreds, or a few thousand miles grind-free after the fluid replacement, I would consider adopting the "brief pause" (it's less intrusive than the double clutch I've seen some people employ, and seems to give a very smooth shift.
#3; if your car is still under warranty, you MUST document these grinds with video, AND you must get the technician to acknowledge the grind in your records for any possible future issues that should be covered under warranty.
Goodwood (08-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Gear 1-2 grind