Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
17.3 kg or 38.1 lbs of unsprung weight savings of PCCB on GT4/Spyder. Say thanks to Janko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0i8...youtu.be&t=305
Somebody on a youtube video without even showing proof is your bible? Say thank you for being a believer. Where again was the scale?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:09 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Somebody on a youtube video without even showing proof is your bible? Say thank you for being a believer. Where again was the scale?
Janko is not any youtuber, in another videos this guy take the time of weight everything and/or get the official numbers with the dealer of many optional items to compare them (audio, lights, etc.), he's been doing this weight comparison since he specced a Cayman T so in this regard I trust in his info. Anyway he opted not to have the PCCB despite the weight savings
Old 07-24-2020, 04:13 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 370 Posts

I am "This Guy"...the one who was quoted in the original post. Lol I'm happy to answer any specific questions people have about PCCB vs. Iron. If you haven't seen the thread about our AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kits with iron discs in the 991 GT3 section, please do. It has loads of real-world owner feedback, most of whom are having a far better experience with our equipment vs. stock, and are consistently setting personal best lap times: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...inally-20.html

BTW, we are bringing in a 718 GT4 tomorrow to test fit our AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kit on it. Can't wait to see the car!

Thanks!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following users liked this post:
Bob Rouleau (07-27-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 04:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
I am "This Guy"...the one who was quoted in the original post. Lol I'm happy to answer any specific questions people have about PCCB vs. Iron. If you haven't seen the thread about our AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kits with iron discs in the 991 GT3 section, please do. It has loads of real-world owner feedback, most of whom are having a far better experience with our equipment vs. stock, and are consistently setting personal best lap times: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...inally-20.html

BTW, we are bringing in a 718 GT4 tomorrow to test fit our AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kit on it. Can't wait to see the car!

Thanks!
nice!! Good luck on the fitment. Would be interesting to see before and after dragy 100-200kph pulls. Obviously 60-0 stop would be the same and are more tire/surface dependent unless you cook the brakes. I suspect pccb are good for 1/2 sec difference in acceleration, you may see something there if the DA is comparable during runs.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Any info about when the new PSCB brakes will become available for the 718? PCCB's end as an option for the GTS this October. Hopefully that means they will be replaced by PSCB as the upgrade from irons.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:11 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Another reason why PCCBs are just a pain to have. The original poster of this issue said it's NOT a rock, it's literally from compression and Gs at the track and somehow the barrel touched the disc edge. That's just crazy for a $8k brake upgrade.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

^ Wow, maybe it's the angle but can you even fit a finger between the rotor and the wheel?
Old 07-26-2020, 12:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
Another reason why PCCBs are just a pain to have. The original poster of this issue said it's NOT a rock, it's literally from compression and Gs at the track and somehow the barrel touched the disc edge. That's just crazy for a $8k brake upgrade.

Rigggght....the rims flexed out of round under braking....riggggghtt....

I have this ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in...
Airbag997 (04-23-2024)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:54 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

I spec'd my Spyder with PCCB. Here's why......

1. I have never owned a car with them before
2. Brake dust issue
3. Lower unsprung weight and its effect on RIDE QUALITY, which, after owning many lower weight wheel/tire combos, feels very noticeable, especially on less than perfect pavement.

Let me ask this......

If PCCB was standard, and iron was the extra cost option, would you do it?
mazyo (08-05-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:28 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Maybe. If pccb still costed $25k to replace, then maybe I’d pay more for the option that offered similar performance yet was more robust, less fragile, and easier and cheaper to replace or modify with a much wider selection of alternative replacement rotors and pads.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I spec'd my Spyder with PCCB. Here's why......

1. I have never owned a car with them before
2. Brake dust issue
3. Lower unsprung weight and its effect on RIDE QUALITY, which, after owning many lower weight wheel/tire combos, feels very noticeable, especially on less than perfect pavement.

Let me ask this......

Of course, I'm expecting the PCCB's will be better out of the box without switching out parts so the main issue is replacement, if Irons were an upcharge to start with then you just convert to aftermarket irons if/when you wanted.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts

What wheel is that? doesn't look OEM and seems like there is a raised black barrel part? Maybe too tight of a fit but those marks would be from the calipers first before the rotors. I thought Porsche engineers came up with a solution to stop wheels flexing under load, I guess they need to go back to the drawing board .
Old 07-26-2020, 11:25 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Rigggght....the rims flexed out of round under braking....riggggghtt....

I have this ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in...
Originally Posted by Buckett76
What wheel is that? doesn't look OEM and seems like there is a raised black barrel part? Maybe too tight of a fit but those marks would be from the calipers first before the rotors. I thought Porsche engineers came up with a solution to stop wheels flexing under load, I guess they need to go back to the drawing board .
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8623...the-gt4-6.html
Post #83

Not sure why someone would lie about this happening...point is this kind of thing shouldn't happen to someone buying $8k brakes. Ridiculous. But hope it doesn't happen to either of you...Here's another one...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...mic-brake.html

and another one...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nightmare.html

unfortunately, this is a thing for PCCB owners to deal with.

Last edited by _nosubstitute_; 07-26-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:31 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

double post. delete.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:53 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8623...the-gt4-6.html
Post #83

Not sure why someone would lie about this happening...point is this kind of thing shouldn't happen to someone buying $8k brakes. Ridiculous. But hope it doesn't happen to either of you...
To be honest, this case has nothing to do with the PCCB's but with people's insistence to fit 19" wheels over them after being sufficiently advised against it and that it will be an extremely tight fit.
n4v4nod (07-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors