My PCCB nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:48 AM
CLHR
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My PCCB nightmare

Hi all,
So about six weeks ago, I picked up my 2018 991 GT3. The car is just amazing, and I'm still waiting for my first track event which takes place on 1st of May.

Last Friday, however, I discovered a damage to my front right PCCB disc and the wheel. It has cracked for about 5 mm's inwards (0,2 inches). I immediately called a Porsche repair shop. Was told they need to measure the damage. Worst case, I would have to buy a new disc for 80 000 SEK (8000 USD)! If the left one is old, a new one is needed there as well. Plus new pads and hours. Could end up with approximately 180 000 SEK (18 000 USD)! I'm not sure what has happened, if it's a stone that caused the crack and the lost part scratched the wheel. Or if the disc is so worn out that it broke. I was shocked about the price. Having read up before the purchase, I understood that PCCB discs would cost around 2-3000 USD each, so would estimate about the equivalent in SEK, i.e. maximum 30 000 SEK per disc. I know that PCCB as an option on a new 991 GT3 costs about 50-100 000 SEK. If Porsche then charges 80 000 SEK for one single disc, isn't that close to fraudulent? I'm quite upset to be honest. But my bad for not checking spare part prices directly with Porsche in Sweden before the purchase.

I called another Porsche repair shop. By only viewing the attached photos, they admitted that the discs appear to be quite worn out, also given that the ventilators are filled. But mentioned the possibility to make a claim on my full coverage insurance, as a damage to the vehicle. So I booked an appointment there for tomorrow, so that they can take a proper look and judge what needs to be done.

In the mean time, I also sent pictures of the damage to a couple of knowledgeable friends. Was told that the discs look way too shiny to be PCCB discs, that they appear not to be in a good condition. Before I purchased the car, I was told by the seller that the pads had 40% left, but that the discs were fine. I have only driven the car about 2400 km (1500 miles) on the street since I bought it.

Anyway, will post an update tomorrow once the Porsche shop has examined the disc.

Cheers!

Last edited by CLHR; 04-23-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:08 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

Did you get a PPI done before buying? If you did, what did the PPI say? How did the previous owner know the pads had 40% left? I.e. was the car inspected for someone else?

There are also numerous threads here about the cost of PCCB replacements. I can imagine how much the situation sucks, especially for a car you just bought, but you definitely should’ve researched this before buying.
The following users liked this post:
CLHR (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:22 AM
CLHR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Did you get a PPI done before buying? If you did, what did the PPI say? How did the previous owner know the pads had 40% left? I.e. was the car inspected for someone else?

There are also numerous threads here about the cost of PCCB replacements. I can imagine how much the situation sucks, especially for a car you just bought, but you definitely should’ve researched this before buying.
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I relied on the seller's (authorized Porsche dealer) information before I purchased the car, since I'm loosely acquainted with the Head and know he's a decent guy. The information about 40% on the pads came from his staff. They purchased the car back from the first owner, who got a new GT3 RS instead. I agree with your comment, should have researched replacement disc prices more properly. But do you agree that the discs look worn out?
Old 04-20-2020, 06:57 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

If I had to spend money out of pocket to replace PCCB rotor's, I would just buy a set of the Surface Transforms CCB's and call it a day. The ST's can be recondition and will last longer at the track.
The following 4 users liked this post by Todd B:
CLHR (04-20-2020), Jeahbladejeah (05-08-2020), Nizer (04-20-2020), Sweeper (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:15 AM
CLHR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Todd B
If I had to spend money out of pocket to replace PCCB rotor's, I would just buy a set of the Surface Transforms CCB's and call it a day. The ST's can be recondition and will last longer at the track.
Thanks for the info. Will see how this ends, and consider Surface Transforms if I need to pay anything for new discs.

If I'm lucky, I can claim front discs on the insurance. And if they are indeed worn out according to the inspection tomorrow, I will go back to the seller as well regarding the rear ones. The Swedish sports car community is small and I know they are decent guys, so hopefully there will be a good solution in the end.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:28 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

There are offers for 12 000 - 13 000 euro of a complete set of new PCCBs including rotors, brake pads and even calipers.

I had my car with steel rotors from the factory and bought a complete set of PCCBs.

If you don’t use your car on race tracks heavily (20 track days per year or more), I would go with PCCBs. 12 000 euro for a complete set is a very reasonable figure as per my understanding.
CLHR (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:36 AM
CLHR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kart driver
There are offers for 12 000 - 13 000 euro of a complete set of new PCCBs including rotors, brake pads and even calipers.

I had my car with steel rotors from the factory and bought a complete set of PCCBs.

If you don’t use your car on race tracks heavily (20 track days per year or more), I would go with PCCBs. 12 000 euro for a complete set is a very reasonable figure as per my understanding.
Thanks for the info! May I ask how you received them at that price? The quotes I received from the Porsche spare part people were slightly higher hehe.

I have two track days booked in April and May. If I enjoy it a lot, I might go for a few more this year. But it will maximum be around 5-6 days per year most probably. I think backside country road driving is more my thing
Old 04-20-2020, 07:49 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Sorry man. Unfortunate situation. But I agree with the comments above. See what the shop says and then explore some alternative solutions depending on your intended use. The Surface Transforms suggestion sounds like a reasonable consideration to me.
CLHR (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:05 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CLHR
Thanks for the info! May I ask how you received them at that price? The quotes I received from the Porsche spare part people were slightly higher hehe.

I have two track days booked in April and May. If I enjoy it a lot, I might go for a few more this year. But it will maximum be around 5-6 days per year most probably. I think backside country road driving is more my thing

I am doing by far more than 5-6 days a year ))
And I use brakes very heavily.

I would highly recommend staying with PCCBs then. With PCCBs you will have no issues while visiting Porsche dealers for any service with questions like “You have an aftermarket brake components!”

The reason for such proposals at this price is EBAY. Those are new components and NOT refurbished.

Authorized Porsche dealer will sell you at the sticker price.

There are several proposals at Ebay right now.

HERE is a seller on the rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...iscs-pads.html

EBAY

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-991-...-/313046084842
quite normal price

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-...wAAOSw2j5eZUiv
this is a bit below the market, so I would highly recommend checking all the part numbers to make sure everything is fitting

The following 2 users liked this post by kart driver:
CLHR (04-20-2020), Perimeter (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM
CLHR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kart driver
I am doing by far more than 5-6 days a year ))
And I use brakes very heavily.

I would highly recommend staying with PCCBs then. With PCCBs you will have no issues while visiting Porsche dealers for any service with questions like “You have an aftermarket brake components!”

The reason for such proposals at this price is EBAY. Those are new components and NOT refurbished.

Authorized Porsche dealer will sell you at the sticker price.

There are several proposals at Ebay right now.

HERE is a seller on the rennlist:

EBAY

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-991-...-/313046084842
quite normal price

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-...wAAOSw2j5eZUiv
this is a bit below the market, so I would highly recommend checking all the part numbers to make sure everything is fitting
Thanks a lot! Will see what the shop says tomorrow and take it from there 🙂

Old 04-20-2020, 08:47 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Get the new free disks (if they really do this...) and just put it on a shelf for resale

Go ST or Steel (Girodisk) and enjoy your car without having to think about being gentle with the brakes...
The following 2 users liked this post by PierreTT:
CLHR (04-20-2020), Jim993 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:40 AM
CLHR
Intermediate

Thanks for all your replies. The million dollar question, however, is whether the discs really could have been in a "very good condition" when I purchased the car 2400 relatively calm road kilometers ago (1500 miles)? That's the documented information I have in an e-mail from the seller, which is based on the inspection of his colleagues. Pictures on each of the two front discs and one in the rear.
Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2020, 10:43 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

This is utter crap, you are being fed a line - (a) you don't need to replace the whole assembly and top hats (b) if you don't understand this go to an indy! (c) the particulate matter in the cross drilled holes is normal!
CLHR (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:02 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

The photos show you have a fresh scrape on the inside of your wheel barrel, did a rock get in there, do the damage to the wheel and chip your rotor?
If so, then massive sorries for your sad first experience of ownership, these really are fun cars

PS - This appears to be the least expensive option for new OEM replacements
Originally Posted by Scuderia V
OEM is OEM, designed by Porsche, made for Porsche

Last edited by Perimeter; 04-20-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 212 Posts

OP- many miles are on your GT3?

Quick Reply: My PCCB nightmare