Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 09:56 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Porsche also has a vested interest in showcasing a brake upgrade that costs almost 10k in the best possible light. Randy Pobst gets in the car and enjoys them fresh and doesn’t have to deal with any long term pain of compromises or big bills to replace.

They may shave a few seconds off a lap time but is anyone here making money from setting lap times?

If PCCBs are your thing great, they look fantastic and have no dusting on their side but on a car that I am not driving to end up on a podium the irons are just swell.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
Gatch (07-12-2020), JRitt@essex (07-24-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 10:00 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Porsche runs their cars with their premium brake option as expected. If they didn’t, regardless of lap times, that would look real bad for PCCBs. Show me multiple comparison lap times where PCCBs outperform Irons, That’s data, not conjecture or speculation.

And it wasn’t a salesman who gave me that advice which I made very clear. I reposted a post that I hope will provide some insights to those considering both options. That’s it. No reason to get defensive about your choice.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche has a vested interest in showing off the lowest lap time possible, and if they could do that with iron rotors, they absolutely would.

And please show me ‘unbiased posts’ with actual performance data, because the few comparisons I’ve seen with actual test data shows the PCCBs outperforming the iron. Opinions are like you know what...

Do you think Porsche puts PCCBs on all the press cars that get thrashed all day lap after lap after lap because they overheat and have poor feel?

And as far as your salesman’s opinion, I think I’d rather take the opinions of folks like Randy Pobst and Earl Bambier when it comes to Porsche brakes, both of whom have raved about how the PCCBs perform on track.

I’m sure there are high end aftermarket braking systems that will outperform the stock PCCBs on the track, but not the stock iron rotors. The only reason to track the stock iron over the PCCBs is cost.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (07-24-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 10:00 PM
floodtide
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I had carbon ceramic brakes on my 2015 Z28. They were amazing on the track. The low weight and great stopping performance definitely helped lower my track times. They also lasted two and a half years of track days before I replaced them with iron brakes from Performance Brakes to save my carbon ceramic brakes for future resale of the car. The iron brakes were good but there was a definite loss of on track performance, stopping and acceleration. The cost of the PCCBs is a definite negative but i think there are some aftermarket options that can help with the cost. You can always switch to iron brakes
Old 07-12-2020, 10:34 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by floodtide
I had carbon ceramic brakes on my 2015 Z28. They were amazing on the track. The low weight and great stopping performance definitely helped lower my track times. They also lasted two and a half years of track days before I replaced them with iron brakes from Performance Brakes to save my carbon ceramic brakes for future resale of the car. The iron brakes were good but there was a definite loss of on track performance, stopping and acceleration. The cost of the PCCBs is a definite negative but i think there are some aftermarket options that can help with the cost. You can always switch to iron brakes
Slight spin on this topic, floodtide (or anyone else) did you have any issues selling your car with iron brakes even though original spec was ceramics? or did you save enough life to put them back on before resale?
I'm considering the PCCB option, they may last, they may not (yes they will see track use). But what I don't plan on doing is replacing the rotors if/when they wear out with another set of ceramics. I doubt PCCB's really add much to resale value on, say a 4-5 year old car (with healthy miles ). My only concern would be if the car can't be CPO'd or some other BS comes up that restricts the resale, ie dealer says they need to replace irons with PCCB's for resale and discount trade in by $20k!, although figure I could sell private at that point.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:37 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

On s/gts esp base 911 you are getting significant brake upgrade when opting for pccb, for gt3/gt4/spyder that come with 380mm irons, it's more of a 'feel good' upgrade, esp if you are getting a 200k 3rs, that 9k box is no biggie to check. For 100k gt4/spyder it does look a bit pricey but not like it's gonna break the bank either, heart wants what the heart wants right? it's not like you need a 100k mt 2 seater to begin with. So end of day it's all about perceived value, does adding that option make you happy & feel money well spent?
The following 4 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
Foggy916 (07-13-2020), JAhmed (07-13-2020), Rennolazine (07-12-2020), worf928 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 10:46 PM
floodtide
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckett76
Slight spin on this topic, floodtide (or anyone else) did you have any issues selling your car with iron brakes even though original spec was ceramics? or did you save enough life to put them back on before resale?
I'm considering the PCCB option, they may last, they may not (yes they will see track use). But what I don't plan on doing is replacing the rotors if/when they wear out with another set of ceramics. I doubt PCCB's really add much to resale value on, say a 4-5 year old car (with healthy miles ). My only concern would be if the car can't be CPO'd or some other BS comes up that restricts the resale, ie dealer says they need to replace irons with PCCB's for resale and discount trade in by $20k!, although figure I could sell private at that point.
My carbon ceramics had a lot life left in them and I put them back on the car before I traded it in on a GT4. I think, but don't know for sure, that the car would have lost some value without the CC brakes
Old 07-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

I still have yet to read a single thread from a guy that smoked through ceramics, then went to the dealer to replace the whole pccb setup. Everyone that tracks seems to either save the pccb for resale at some point (ie the next guy), gets steel rotors for track, or resurface the rotors (carbon transforms).
I would agonize over checking that box for the pccb; the weight savings/perfornance benefits are legit but knowing msrp is 100 makes it a much harder pill to swallow especially when the gt4 is already over braked with the 380s
Old 07-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Underblu
Porsche runs their cars with their premium brake option as expected. If they didn’t, regardless of lap times, that would look real bad for PCCBs. Show me multiple comparison lap times where PCCBs outperform Irons, That’s data, not conjecture or speculation.

And it wasn’t a salesman who gave me that advice which I made very clear. I reposted a post that I hope will provide some insights to those considering both options. That’s it. No reason to get defensive about your choice.
Performance wise there is no debate, pccb outperforms stock irons no doubt, that's why not only they equip press cars with pccb, but also all cars in barber driving schools. If you'd like to claim similar performance, you need to prove it not the other way around. In fact if you take a say b2b 20min session , I bet you will be able to tell the difference yourself.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:59 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't understand the philosophy of buying PCCBs, then taking them off to retain life for resale value. I don't believe you get the full $8k back at sale time anyways. Why buy PCCBs if you don't get to enjoy them? I don't spec my cars for the next guy, so I guess I don't get it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
HelpMeHelpU (07-14-2020), Underblu (07-13-2020), VEGAM (07-24-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Performance wise there is no debate, pccb outperforms stock irons no doubt...
If that is true, wouldn’t it be good to know whether this superior performance is the result of the weight loss of the carbon ceramic rotors or whether the benefit is in the behavior of the different rotor material (or some combination of both)?

It seems to me that there is some evidence (reported from those who run the AP setup) that having an iron setup with similar weight loss to pccb may provide some or all of the benefits without some of pccb’s drawbacks (replacement cost, limited pad choice, having to remove calipers to change pads, limited wheel size options, poor cold/wet performance, less granular modulation, etc).

I only have experience with the stock iron setup (with better fluid and pads), but I’d be tempted to try the AP system or Surface Transforms before PCCB, if I found myself wanting something better than stock irons...
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
JRitt@essex (07-24-2020), Underblu (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:03 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrantG
If that is true, wouldn’t it be good to know whether this superior performance is the result of the weight loss of the carbon ceramic rotors or whether the benefit is in the behavior of the different rotor material (or some combination of both)?

It seems to me that there is some evidence (reported from those who run the AP setup) that having an iron setup with similar weight loss to pccb may provide some or all of the benefits without some of pccb’s drawbacks (replacement cost, limited pad choice, having to remove calipers to change pads, limited wheel size options, poor cold/wet performance, less granular modulation, etc).

I only have experience with the stock iron setup (with better fluid and pads), but I’d be tempted to try the AP system or Surface Transforms before PCCB, if I found myself wanting something better than stock irons...
I think it's both. There could be some after market setup that may achieve that i've no doubts, but I think we are talking about stock iron vs pccb here.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:55 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

They might be biased, perhaps, but fact is the fact that in racing they use different carbon rotors than used in road cars.
It's just not the same.
I've never experienced carbon brakes but all reviewers like them a lot in road cars (porsche/corvette) - so i assume they're good.
But also endless number of owners who track their cars switch to steel - i guess either due to costs or too short lifespan or both.
JRitt@essex (07-24-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

In the tests I've seen, stopping distance is the same.
Brake fade is slightly better with PCCB, but it takes a lot to get fade with the cast iron rotors with good brake fluid. Particularly on a GT car with massive rotors.
So in practical terms, performance is really not different.

And those who can tell the difference while driving are likely professional drivers. Mere mortals won't notice a few pounds saved.
Underblu (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

The car is technically better with PCCBs but the irons are so oversized it doesn’t matter. One could argue that the huge iron rotors is just added weight and narrows your wheel downsizing options. Remember that a 991.2 GTS with 50hp and 200lbs more has very good braking performance using smaller rotors. The stock irons are plenty capable and buying PCCBs for performance is fixing a problem the car doesn’t have.

Unless you’re purposely trying to abuse them, the irons will work fine. The PCCB option at 8k isn’t a bad deal, it’s the $20k replacement costs that is killer and makes them cost prohibitive to owners taking the car to the track.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

I never experienced brake fade with the stock iron rotors on my GT3.

I swapped out the stock rotors for the AP OEM replacement, as they were two piece, and cheaper to replace. No difference whatsoever in fade. When my front ceramic pucks cracked, I didn't see the value in replacing the whole caliper, only to do the same thing all over again at some unspecified point in time. I guess I could have rebuilt with stainless pistons, but changing pads was a PITA. I replaced with the AP BBK, which included the flexible lines, and changing pads is pretty danged easy, even for me. I haven't found anyone who has installed it to have a single complaint.

IMO, 'feel' comes down to the pad compound more than anything.

If they turn out to fit the 718, I plan on migrating the system over once I put the GT3 out to a well deserved, pasture retirement. *Jeff will now chime in to say this is a pipe dream*

Nothing but great service from Essex and Apex. They have both been great vendors for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean in Texas:
Dr.Bill (07-13-2020), JRitt@essex (07-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors