Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

forged wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
My incoming 718 GT4 is Gentian Blue, so I think that would work well with bronze. The Aurum (gold) rims from Porsche are too bright for my tastes, need a deeper darker bronze.
I like the Spyder/GT4 wheels, perhaps a simple re-paint would be in order... ?
Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Dude you’ve been a member here for a month and this is your 16th thread. Why don’t you just put all of your questions into one thread?
Don't be an ***. Were all excited about our cars.

The following 4 users liked this post by VVG:
DFW01TT (07-09-2020), wcw67 (07-09-2020), Westcoast (07-08-2020), wizee (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Asking about wheels and which flavor one likes is like a half brained person (human or monkey) asking what the other brain side thinks by regurgitating questions over and over. Is that what bimmer forums do?.
Do you try to be obnoxious or does it just come naturally?
The following users liked this post:
halfmonkey (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:10 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Don't be an ***. Were all excited about our cars.
Sure thing Mom!

It would be nice not having to wade through so many nonsense threads on the front page for a change. It makes it harder to find one of twelve paint protection threads in this sub forum alone...

Seriously, starting a new thread for every thought that pops into your head is bad forum etiquette.
JAhmed (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Sure thing Mom!

It would be nice not having to wade through so many nonsense threads on the front page for a change. It makes it harder to find one of twelve paint protection threads in this sub forum alone...

Seriously, starting a new thread for every thought that pops into your head is bad forum etiquette.
I disagree because as I'm not hiding the fact that I'm new to the Porsche brand, what may be 2nd nature to you and all of the other Porsche fanboys is new to me. In any case, I don't believe any question that I've asked is nonsense, out of line, offensive, or off topic to Porsche/new owners/GT4&Spyder and in each instance, there have been people that share the same question but maybe too shy to ask because of people that are quick to attack other forum members. Hey if you don't like my thread or topic or question, don't read it. If the question or topic doesn't apply to you, move on. I appreciate your help and responses when I ask a question that I don't know the answer to but what would be the purpose of a forum such as this if we can't ask questions about the car/product/features/options/warranty/paint/wheels/car cover/ SA to buy from/SA not charging ADM, etc? I get that we're all excited. Why kill that excitement?

Last edited by halfmonkey; 07-09-2020 at 12:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
DFW01TT (07-09-2020), Goggles Paisano (07-09-2020), wcw67 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:24 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Using the search function would be good too. Sometimes it will yield better results for answers to questions.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:37 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Using the search function would be good too. Sometimes it will yield better results for answers to questions.
Yup, did that before I started this thread. Didn't see any threads for forged wheels specifically related to GT4/Spyders. Maybe I searched with the wrong words used in past threads. As you can see, I just joined so I don't have years and years of history to fall back on. If you find a thread related to GT4/Spyder and forged wheels, please share with me and I'll be the first to admit my error in searching.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:22 AM
wcw67
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Halfmonkey, you're good. I'm new to ownership as well as Rennlist in particular, but not forums. Persons who consider the forum they're personal stomping ground & feel they've 'ownership' simply because they've been here a long time along with their self-centered mentality proliferate on forums. ALWAYS easier to be a keyboard *** than one in person. Reminds me of my street cop days when arrestees would bluster what a bad *** they are and would kick your *** if they didn't have handcuffs on...so we'd take them off and...nothing.

I "try" my best to ignore them and still post my questions. I expect to get the "hey you're new here" BS and hope for the nice folks. Majority of people don't grasp it's easy to be an *** and say what you want rather than refraining for the matter of civility.
The following 5 users liked this post by wcw67:
DFW01TT (07-09-2020), ForeverCar (07-09-2020), Goggles Paisano (07-09-2020), halfmonkey (07-10-2020), kj71109 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Yup, did that before I started this thread. Didn't see any threads for forged wheels specifically related to GT4/Spyders. Maybe I searched with the wrong words used in past threads. As you can see, I just joined so I don't have years and years of history to fall back on. If you find a thread related to GT4/Spyder and forged wheels, please share with me and I'll be the first to admit my error in searching.
To my previous point as I'm trying to help you. You have two questions a) Are you swapping GT4/Spyder wheels for forged? and b) Which forged wheels are good?

I would say neither are unique to GT4/Spyders if you are interested in the outcomes. If you are interested in just whether a GT4 owner is going to switch then question A suits. You will yield much better results and data by searching all of RL for question B. In particular go look at GT3/GT3RS section. I'm no forged wheel expert but I would think a well made forged wheel on a GT3 will be good on a GT4. IMO there are far more track junkies in GT3/RS section than GT4 let alone 718 GT4. You will get better info to a question that is not unique to 718 GT4.

That's my point, not to give you a hard time for your question. As Archimedes points out indirectly I think, after you spend time here there are people who post tons of questions that you can easily find answers to. I am still guilty of it the odd time because sometimes just too lazy to search and filter results.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:57 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

I understand the appeal of upgrading your car but forged wheels are not going to give you a significant performance boost. It's mostly for show or weight weenies.

Better to take the $10k+ you would spend on new wheels and tires, and attend a couple of high-performance driving schools. Unless you're a paid racing driver, you're the weakest part of the performance equation.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
I understand the appeal of upgrading your car but forged wheels are not going to give you a significant performance boost. It's mostly for show or weight weenies.

Better to take the $10k+ you would spend on new wheels and tires, and attend a couple of high-performance driving schools. Unless you're a paid racing driver, you're the weakest part of the performance equation.
I mean...I just wanted them cuz they look cool
The following 2 users liked this post by JAhmed:
Rxpert (07-10-2020), wcw67 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by haen

Interesting assumptions, but there are other reasons that are of value to others and not you, like this person.

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I mean...I just wanted them cuz they look cool
Perhaps you want two sets, one for performance driving and one for long road trips, those Dunlop Maxx Race 2's have a treadwear rating of only 80 , they would be toast in no short order on a long trip. Or how about colder weather, I don't necessarily mean snow either, below 10C(45F) those UHP summers are not too forgiving and I for one don't want to test their grip in fall or spring conditions and since not all of us live in SoCal...

I have bought a second set of wheels and they are forged because I want to put those UHP tires on the lightest wheel I like and then put a less extreme tire on the OEM wheels for those long trips or shoulder season drives that I plan to take, fall can be a beautiful time in the mountains but it no place for a tire that belongs on warm dry road surfaces!
DFW01TT (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 02:36 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

alright, lets try something new..

If I was to choose HRE P101 or equivalent for cup tires, what color would look outrageous and cool on a GB GT4 w/Red calipers?? Default would be satin black of course but i'm thinking something with a bit a flash..lol
Old 07-09-2020, 02:47 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz

If I was to choose HRE P101 or equivalent for cup tires, what color would look outrageous and cool on a GB GT4 w/Red calipers?? Default would be satin black of course but i'm thinking something with a bit a flash..lol
White. Gives almost a JDM vibe that would go well with the GB / Red
Old 07-09-2020, 02:52 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puggz

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
White. Gives almost a JDM vibe that would go well with the GB / Red
The nice thing with HRE are that they're pretty much fully customizable from size to color to offset. Volks are great but it's my understanding that they're not customizable and you basically have to purchase what they produce and hope they fit your desired set up.

Quick Reply: forged wheels