Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The option (other than color) I agonized over the most and how it turned out

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 05:17 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
OK, that settles it then. That IS a lot of weight saved. I'm guessing that diff (weight loss) is much smaller for the GTS 4.0 since it doesn't sport the big reds of the GT4/Spyder.

I think my biggest issue with PCCB now would be the 200 yard gravel/dirt road that connects my house to asphalt. I would guess it drastically increases the risk of either caliper & wheel barrel scoring or, much worse, a rotor scoring from an unlucky pebble/rock that lodges itself in there. Then I saw Janko on the video has a similar gravel/dirt road too. Did he end up choosing the PCCB?
The tire and wheel he hauls out really illustrate the point! I believe he chose "Big Reds" but with black calipers (he is working on a silver/black color theme for his Spyder) ...maybe that makes them Formerly Big Reds? As always, I could be wrong about his choice. Perhaps you can tell better than I can from this video, at about 4 mins: https://rennlist.com/articles/art-of...he-718-spyder/ Those look like the iron rotors to me.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
The tire and wheel he hauls out really illustrate the point! I believe he chose "Big Reds" but with black calipers (he is working on a silver/black color theme for his Spyder) ...maybe that makes them Formerly Big Reds? As always, I could be wrong about his choice. Perhaps you can tell better than I can from this video, at about 4 mins: https://rennlist.com/articles/art-of...he-718-spyder/ Those look like the iron rotors to me.

God bless,
TT
Yes, he got the irons in black and spent the PCCB money on extended stitching and alcantara.
I wonder if his gravel driveway was a factor in deciding to forego the PCCB.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:44 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, he got the irons in black and spent the PCCB money on extended stitching and alcantara.
No indication about the driveway. But, as, you pointed out, all the interior options he selected add up--note even the little silver model Porsche attached to the dashboard (CXX? ;-)--it may have been due to trying to keep the Spyder from costing the same as a loaded GT3! The PCCB's are expensive.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-05-2020, 01:32 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Well, here's Janko's explanation, at about 4:30: he says he's cheap and can't afford PCCB's
No mention of his gravel driveway.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-05-2020, 10:29 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
Back in the 996 era, I asked Walter Röhrl if he could tell the handling differences between the two cars. Always a straight shooter in my experience, he thought for a moment, then said no. I'm not sure I have ever been able to detect a difference in the way a particular Porsche steers or handles with and without PCCB, but I am not sure I've ever had that perfect circumstance in which to try and detect it.
Thanks so much for the benefit of your thoughts and experience, Pete. Are you aware of any empirical/experiential evidence that PCCBs, in place of relatively heavy brakes such as true Big Reds, improve the feel of the car's ride/compliance?

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 07-05-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Pete, you were quoted in a post here in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-...l#post16748669

The part which I understood says that iron calipers and pads are lighter was the bolded part below. Maybe I didn't understand it correctly:

"Thus looking at the front, worn iron rotors and pads with a shaved tire will cut the absolute weight difference to PCCBs to zero (4 lbs of shaved rubber, 2.5 lbs of lost rotor mass, 1.5 lbs for worn pads, while the calipers and pads were 1 lb lighter to begin with = 9 lbs, where the stock PCCB rotor is ~9 lbs lighter to begin with)."
Ah, I think that's Petevb, not me. But it is never bad to be confused with a smart cookie.

His point, out of context, had me quickly asking myself: Who wants to drive around on worn-down tires, brakes, and rotors?

But, seriously, Pete's post brings up a good point: A lot of the obsession over various things on paper needs to be put into perspective—and the "massive differences" we see in a forum discussion are in reality not so massive.

I am also guilty of referencing Pete. I believe a key point both of us made is that the benefits of PCCB's are "in the eye of the beholder." We can all certainly disagree in good faith about their benefits...this is a 1st World problem! Wishing us all a blessed Declaration Day.

God bless,
TT
Guilty of nothing—you quoted me accurately, and if I posted it, it's fair game!

Thanks so much for the benefit of your thoughts and experience, Pete. Are you aware of any empirical/experiential evidence that PCCBs, in place of relatively heavy brakes such as true Big Reds, improve the feel of the car's ride/compliance?

God bless,
TT
The data doesn't lie, and there's a good reason engineers pursue reductions in unsprung and rotational mass/weight (as well as good reasons why they sometimes add mass/weight to each in some cases…).

To your question, I have seen no experiential evidence that PCCB improves a car's ride compliance. Caveat is that I somewhat dismissed it when Röhrl said he couldn't tell the difference in a 996 Turbo with or without PCCB—but I'll be the first to concede I haven't had a "perfect storm" situation where the difference was plain. It's possible that he hadn't, either?

My view of PCCB has evolved over the years. The "918" system was arguably the best brake system I had tried when I first sampled it in 2012 or 2013, and seems to me a bargain at $7500-9500. Besides the improvements in braking, unsprung/rotational mass, dust, corrosion resistance, and appearance, I think ticking the box for PCCB also makes sense for people who will track their cars—as we've seen multiple 991.2 owners finding even the S/GTS system inadequate for track use. For those customers, PCCB + a set of aftermarket pads & iron rotors is less expensive than an inferior, non-factory setup—and possibly money ahead if the PCCB pads and rotors are sold. As a used car, I'd still look at those big yellow calipers and the rest of the system as an upgrade over a car with standard brakes—though I suspect I am probably one of very few who would.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:33 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
As a used car, I'd still look at those big yellow calipers and the rest of the system as an upgrade over a car with standard brakes—though I suspect I am probably one of very few who would.
There are at least two of us, Pete!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-05-2020, 03:19 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

God bless,
TT
Not a Porsche but on my old Z06 I switched from irons to CCBs. I wasn’t looking for or expecting it but one of the first things I noticed was that ride quality did improve, it was not as harsh over broken pavement.

On the GT4/Spyder there is no rational reason to get CCBs to improve braking performance. The stock irons are overkill for this car already. The 991.2 GTS has 50hp more with an extra 200lbs and has very good braking performance using smaller brakes than the 718.

There are other valid reasons to get CCB but improved performance over the irons on this car isn’t one of them.
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 03:49 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Not a Porsche but on my old Z06 I switched from irons to CCBs. I wasn’t looking for or expecting it but one of the first things I noticed was that ride quality did improve, it was not as harsh over broken pavement.
Thanks for the feedback!

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: The option (other than color) I agonized over the most and how it turned out