Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The option (other than color) I agonized over the most and how it turned out

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I’m both cheap and lazy so I have irons but I also hardly ever brake, lol...
Hat tip to everyone who knows the rotors are cast iron. Yeah, I'm pedantic when it suits me.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 01:08 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
I have the steel brakes on mine and they squeal too....
Zero squeal on my PCCBs. Some on my irons but easy to eliminate. Squeal is due to braking technique, not the brakes themselves.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:12 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
If PCCBs lived up to those initial claims of lasting a lifetime of the car (street & track), I'd spec them. Then again, I've never heard anyone tell me at the track or anywhere, "yea, that guy in the other car (same model) had PCCBs, he beat my time!".
Notice what brakes are on every car when Porsche goes to set a lap time in one of their cars. PCCBs every time.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:49 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Notice what brakes are on every car when Porsche goes to set a lap time in one of their cars. PCCBs every time.
And that has more to do with weight reduction than brake performance.
bradStyle (07-15-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 07:58 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

I spec'd my Spyder with PCCB. This is my first experience with them. Here's why I chose them....

1. Ride Quality. Nothing to do with performance, turn-in, etc. However, on rougher roads, my experience with lower unsprung weight when going with lighter wheels and tires made me realize that lower unsprung weight will affect ride quality, all else being equal.

2. Brake dust. I suffer from OCCDD. That would translate to Obsessive Compulsive Car Detailing Disorder. It's better now, but there was a time where I cleaned the brake dust of my wheels daily. So, yeah, the brake dust issue is huge for me.

3. This has nothing to do with anything tangible, other than the fact that I have never owned a car with ceramics, so I wanted to have the experience. I knew if I didn't get them, I would have always been second guessing myself.

Now....on to some of people's concerns:

1. FEAR....it is amazing how much people let fear rule their lives. Fear of a pebble in this case. Realize that the entire insurance industry makes billions of dollars in profit by playing on fears.

2. Squeal. Yes it is there....sometimes. But only during soft-medium pressure braking. That said, even in the Spyder with the top down, it is not really that annoying. Apply a little more braking pressure, and the squeal is gone. Never heard any squeal during hard braking. IMO, this issue is overplayed.
Gatch (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:32 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Yes, for one lap lighter (carbon) is better. For a 24hr race more fade/heat resistant (iron) is better. Most (all?) race cars brake with iron, Cup cars included.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
Gatch (07-03-2020), Underblu (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:35 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Never had PCCB or driven the like. Went with it on the Spyder because a) I'm curious to see what the fuss is about b) Not tracking the Spyder c) Clean wheels
Underblu (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, for one lap lighter (carbon) is better. For a 24hr race more fade/heat resistant (iron) is better. Most (all?) race cars brake with iron, Cup cars included.
Yeah, that’s why Formula 1 and LMP1 use carbon brakes...because, you know, they’re not as good.

From a technical review of racing braking systems...

“Still, both brake discs are built using carbon as that's the best material for the task of consistent, fade-free stopping.”

Carbon handles high heat better than iron rotors and offers better fade resistance, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. And the recent comparison video posted comparing Porsche brake systems proved it in spades.
wizee (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:21 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Yeah, that’s why Formula 1 and LMP1 use carbon brakes...because, you know, they’re not as good.
F1 doesn’t use carbon-ceramic brakes. They use carbon-carbon brakes constructed via a chemical vapor deposition process.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/carbon-carbon.html

IIRC - as of a decade ago - each rotor costs about $30k and lasts for one race.

As for LMP1... dunno. I doubt they can afford the same brake tech as F1.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:29 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Zero squeal on my PCCBs. Some on my irons but easy to eliminate. Squeal is due to braking technique, not the brakes themselves.
Any tip on how to do that other than breaking hard AF?
Old 07-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
Any tip on how to do that other than breaking hard AF?
A few firm 50-5 mph braking maneuvers, then just don’t drag the brakes gently into stops. Brake later and firmer around town. It’s the gentle braking dragging the pedal with light pressure that causes the glazing that creates the squeal. You don’t have to panic brake to avoid squeal, just make a habit of firm stops.
RyuBraska (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

From a technical review of racing braking systems...

“Still, both brake discs are built using carbon as that's the best material for the task of consistent, fade-free stopping.”

Carbon handles high heat better than iron rotors and offers better fade resistance, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. And the recent comparison video posted comparing Porsche brake systems proved it in spades.
I agree, carbon discs can take higher temps and they are more heat resistant but heavier irons have higher heat absorption capacity, that's what I meant. For the same intense braking sequence, the carbons will get hotter faster, though they will also handle the higher temps better.

And carbon discs last a "lifetime" only if not raced at the track. As many Porsche folks have learned, using the carbons at 10/10 at the track drastically lowers their lifetime MUCH closer to irons, at multiples of the replacement cost. This is why no one tracks with PCCB and switches to irons for intense track use.

Having said that, one of the biggest drawbacks of CC discs is that they need really high temps to operate optimally and feel normal. This means that they will operate sub-optimally and feel "squishy" 99% of the time on a street car. They need to be raced to operate normally, which contradicts the previous paragraph that explained why no one tracks them. I don't have a track in my backyard to do two warm-up track laps before I go on my back-road runs. Irons need couple of brake applications to start operating normally. You don't need 2 minutes of 10/10 braking to make them feel normal.

So PCCB will last a "lifetime" only if driven sub-optimally (under their optimal temps) most of the time. Why pay thousands for that privilege?

Btw, haven't made up my mind yet. Asking honest questions and trying to learn.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1

Having said that, one of the biggest drawbacks of CC discs is that they need really high temps to operate optimally. This means that they will operate sub-optimally and feel "squishy" 99% of the time on a street car.
Sorry but this is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on Rennlist, and that’s saying something. Have you ever owned, or even driven, a car with PCCBs? There is nothing squishy about them, not even dead cold on the first stop.

Had to delete the rest of your post of nonsense. You’re parroting stuff that you’ve read one the interwebs, and not even getting that right.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Have you ever owned, or even driven, a car with PCCBs?
No.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:36 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

There is nothing squishy about them, not even dead cold on the first stop.
Took the words out of my mouth...err, fingers. There is nothing in the least squishy about them. They are sublime at all times. The Porsche version doesn't even suffer in the rain, unlike CCB's I had on a BMW F10 M5, which were dangerous in the rain for the first few stops.

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: The option (other than color) I agonized over the most and how it turned out