Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Interesting, now a tire choice for the Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Had the P4S's on my last car...great tires for street use. No complaints.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Right now, it looks like the only N spec tires in the correct sizes are Pirelli P Zero.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-02-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 PM
thatfield
AutoX

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

One unexpected “feature” of the Sport Cup 2 tires is their propensity to grab and throw rocks at the rear of the car. I live on a gravel lane and noticed this immediately. I then searched and found other sites discussing this. So even though on another thread I said that I’m not a PPF person, the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels are being done today.
DFW01TT (07-02-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
For those who have already received a GT4 or Spyder, how are you finding the Sport Cup 2 N1 tires? I like maximum grip, and I don't care about tread life, but the car will mainly be for street use (with perhaps some occasional autocross), and I live in an area with imperfect climate.
  • How temperature sensitive are they? Are they noticeably worse at 15 °C compared to 25 °C? Would you feel safe driving them at 10 °C?
  • Are they tolerable in light rain?
  • Is the road noise substantially worse than the Pilot Sport 4S?
  • How do they compare with the older Suport Cup 2 N0 tires from the 981 GT4?
I'm trying to decide if I should change my order to have these lower performance tires, though I'd only want PS4S, not Pirelli, if I go this route.
Light rain is fine. But really light rain. If you get caught in medium rain, don't mash the throttle. Because the tires are so wide, you will still have grip, but be cautious.

I wouldn't drive them at 10c. They really need heat and at 10c they will be almost like rocks. They are truly a summer only tire when ambient temps are 20-25+.

For the street, they are completely unnecessary. In your position, I would get the high performance summer tire instead.
wizee (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:06 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Slightly off topic but how long can I expect the cup 2 to last (if little to no track)?
Westcoast (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:53 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
Slightly off topic but how long can I expect the cup 2 to last (if little to no track)?
Between 5,000-15,000 miles depending on how you drive. Keep in mind that although tracking your car will greatly reduce tread life, things such as hard braking, jack rabbit starts, high G turns, insufficient tire pressure can all negatively affect tread life as well. Not to mention if you start messing with the suspension settings on the GT4. I believe you can adjust camber and toe settings which can also negatively affect tire wear.
RyuBraska (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If ps4s will become available with N rating in correct sizes - i would be tempted to put them on.
had few sets on different cars - even on track they were quite good and didn't rob any fun.
but longevity was 3 times longer than cup2
Old 07-01-2020, 07:37 AM
Atomark
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I got my Spyder in December last year, so I drove it in winter conditions. The Cup 2 tires gave me several semi heart attacks 😎, when it's wet and cold (<10C) this tire is treacherous! I talked to the dealer about alternatives, which Porsche did not allow at that time.
For dry summer days the Cup2 are awesome. Still, my next tire will not be Cup 2, because I don't track the car much and want to drive in Fall and winter as well.

Brgds
Mark

wizee (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Are the tire sizes and wheel offsets the same on the 718 GT4 as the 918 GT4? I'm assuming yes, but wanted to confirm.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

As used for AX
PS4S are excellent in the rain. There also very good when temps are above the upper 30's-f. In the dry they probably give you 90+ of what the Cups give.

Cup2's are miserable if it's less than 40 and and in particular wet. They're very good in the dry and mid 40's but still not as grippy as the RE71r's.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:16 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
As used for AX
PS4S are excellent in the rain. There also very good when temps are above the upper 30's-f. In the dry they probably give you 90+ of what the Cups give.

Cup2's are miserable if it's less than 40 and and in particular wet. They're very good in the dry and mid 40's but still not as grippy as the RE71r's.
Thanks. Sounds like PS4S would be better in my application. I tend to be itching to get my sports cars out on the road in early spring here where daytime temperatures are usually around or slightly below 10 C (50 F) - sounds like they’d be usable in the dry but far from ideal at those temperatures.

In autocross, RE71R is the tire of choice for anyone competitive (not that I’m competitive), since I’ve heard it grips better than Cup 2 without needing warning up, and its treadwear rating allows it to cheat its way into SCCA’s classification for “normal” street tires. However, PS4S was just fine for AutoX on my old Boxster, since I only participate for fun, it grips well enough, and my skill level is not competitive.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomark
I got my Spyder in December last year, so I drove it in winter conditions. The Cup 2 tires gave me several semi heart attacks 😎, when it's wet and cold (<10C) this tire is treacherous! I talked to the dealer about alternatives, which Porsche did not allow at that time.
For dry summer days the Cup2 are awesome. Still, my next tire will not be Cup 2, because I don't track the car much and want to drive in Fall and winter as well.

Brgds
Mark
Mark, thanks for sharing this.

Where I live we have a nearly year round driving season but it is not always warm or dry... May through September conditions would suit the Cup 2 tires perfectly but from October back around to spring it can rain unexpectedly and overnight and morning temperatures will be around 10c or slightly less, rare that it would snow but the local pass requires a tire with a M+S rating to be legal. Additionally any spring or fall road trips to the south or east require that you transition mountain passes so...

I have already purchased a second set of wheels for the Spyder, the Cup 2 tires will be moved over to them and the OEM wheels will get the M+S rated Bridgestone RE980AS tires.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Are the tire sizes and wheel offsets the same on the 718 GT4 as the 918 GT4? I'm assuming yes, but wanted to confirm.
From everything that I have found, yes the same size and offsets...
Old 07-01-2020, 04:37 PM
Atomark
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Mark, thanks for sharing this.

Where I live we have a nearly year round driving season but it is not always warm or dry... May through September conditions would suit the Cup 2 tires perfectly but from October back around to spring it can rain unexpectedly and overnight and morning temperatures will be around 10c or slightly less, rare that it would snow but the local pass requires a tire with a M+S rating to be legal. Additionally any spring or fall road trips to the south or east require that you transition mountain passes so...

I have already purchased a second set of wheels for the Spyder, the Cup 2 tires will be moved over to them and the OEM wheels will get the M+S rated Bridgestone RE980AS tires.
Hmmm, an M+S rated tire will probably be much much worse than PS4S. I had M+S tires from Bridgestone on my R35 GTR and they really sucked! Do you have the M+S requirement all year long? Your climate sounds quite similar to mine, I am definitely never buying winter tires again and will use something like PS4S all year long.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atomark
Hmmm, an M+S rated tire will probably be much much worse than PS4S. I had M+S tires from Bridgestone on my R35 GTR and they really sucked! Do you have the M+S requirement all year long? Your climate sounds quite similar to mine, I am definitely never buying winter tires again and will use something like PS4S all year long.
No requirement for it all year long but definitely need a cold/non-summer tire for October 1st- March 31st and it has to have M+S branding to qualify.

See this thread for some additional discussion I am having with others. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-...-wheels-2.html

Were the Bridgestone's you had on the GTR RE98AS or full on winters?

The reason I ask is the RE980AS are more of an all season tire not a snow tire like the Pirelli Winter Sottozero II that is also available in the GT4/Spyder sizing and although I have had these, I don't need full winters any more.

Quick Reply: Interesting, now a tire choice for the Spyder?