Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Racing Yellow Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 07:13 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Never too much yellow!!!!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:14 PM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine is in the body shop getting built should see it early January !!!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:28 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,659 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
My man!

Originally Posted by space man
Mine is in the body shop getting built should see it early January !!!
Welcome to the yellow thread. Not very many bold enough to join!
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
tigerhonaker (12-29-2020), UncleDude (11-19-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 10:25 AM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
My man!

Welcome to the yellow thread. Not very many bold enough to join!
Honestly i had specked my car with MB. But the order got kicked 2 weeks after it was placed. I picked yellow as it was the next best option for me. I have had a M3 yellow car and my Viper GTS was yellow with painted black stripes. The only thing that worries me a tad is it looks very bright. The pictures on the web when the car is shown in a bit of shade however looks rich and beautiful. Although my second choice i am happy to be part of the club!! i am 4-6 weeks out on delivery i hope.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:38 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by space man
Honestly i had specked my car with MB. But the order got kicked 2 weeks after it was placed. I picked yellow as it was the next best option for me. I have had a M3 yellow car and my Viper GTS was yellow with painted black stripes. The only thing that worries me a tad is it looks very bright. The pictures on the web when the car is shown in a bit of shade however looks rich and beautiful. Although my second choice i am happy to be part of the club!! i am 4-6 weeks out on delivery i hope.
I was very keen on MB as well. The finance dealer has a MB Boxster so was able to view many many times in varying light and cleanliness. Started having second thoughts and then they put a 911 in RY on the showroom floor...that was it for me.

Does have a softer side...

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:50 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^ Love the nipple-less base headlights. They're nice and black too.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:53 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Well, theoretically, everyone must have their yellow sweet-spot somewhere between all black and all yellow interior (seats, dash, door panels, steering wheel, console, gauges, ...), lol.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:22 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
^ Love the nipple-less base headlights. They're nice and black too.
Yes, the nipples are bothersome. But personally it’s rare I’m out at night, otherwise would have gone PDLS+. I think the bixenon PDLS is a complete waste for the money. Base or PDLS +.

I’m pretty ambivalent about the 4 pt DRLs...not really feeling that either. This is cleaner.

Originally Posted by hf1
Well, theoretically, everyone must have their yellow sweet-spot somewhere between all black and all yellow interior (seats, dash, door panels, steering wheel, console, gauges, ...), lol.
I hear ya...the painted hvac console would have ruined it for me; lol.

Pretty cool that at night the yellow faced gauges are black. Except for the SC...mild comforting yellow glow.

Heading out for more run in miles!

The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
tigerhonaker (12-29-2020), UncleDude (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:01 PM
anx21
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

the nipples are bothersome. But personally it’s rare I’m out at night, otherwise would have gone PDLS+
I'm looking at the same issues in terms of PDLS+ vs. base headlights - I hate the nipples but I'm not sure if the base lights will be significantly different in terms of brightness. I'm in an 8 year old GTR currently, so I'm hoping even the base headlights are a step up...

Pretty cool that at night the yellow faced gauges are black. Except for the SC...mild comforting yellow glow.
Is the yellow on the gauges paint or is it a digital color?
Old 11-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,663 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Originally Posted by anx21
I'm looking at the same issues in terms of PDLS+ vs. base headlights - I hate the nipples but I'm not sure if the base lights will be significantly different in terms of brightness. I'm in an 8 year old GTR currently, so I'm hoping even the base headlights are a step up...
I have the PDLS+ and they are incredible, a step up from the Bi-xenon PDLS+ I had in my 2016, and as for the washers, I don't even notice them, IMHO a nit.

Is the yellow on the gauges paint or is it a digital color?
"a digital color?"
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (12-29-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 PM
anx21
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

"a digital color?"
My bad, that wasn't clear, I meant to ask if the gauges are just LCD/similar digital screens since the OP mentioned that they change color
Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have the PDLS+ and they are incredible, a step up from the Bi-xenon PDLS+ I had in my 2016, and as for the washers, I don't even notice them, IMHO a nit.

"a digital color?"
I hear you on the nipples, they are pretty close to the headlamp so not really noticeable. I just don’t do much night driving with this car. However the price delta between PDLS and PDLS+ makes the choice easy...PDLS+ all day.

My bad, that wasn't clear, I meant to ask if the gauges are just LCD/similar digital screens since the OP mentioned that they change color
Sorry for the confusion; the gauge faces are not lcd, they are painted or molded in that color.

It all comes down to how Porsche manages the gauge backlighting... at night there is no hint of yellow — all black. This is probably basic stuff for long time Porsche fans...but just something I wondered.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got it, as @TXshaggy said the gauge faces are solid color for all but the right TFT display. Here are a couple pictures, night and day!

Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Just one more...

This is the in between picture, twilight, the headlights come on automatically but there is still a lot of ambient light to drive by, you can see the the backlight is on the for the gauges but the face is also easily visible from the daylight flooding into the passenger compartment...

Old 11-21-2020, 08:48 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

I did not know those were black at night, definitely makes it more appealing to me now.

Quick Reply: The Official Racing Yellow Color Thread