Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

**Fabspeed Motorsport** | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 05:31 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Anyone combined the x-pipe rear section and OPF delete pipes with stock headers?
Wondering how this configuration is compared to stock + OPF delete pipes.
Yes this was my very first configuration. Sounds amazing on the track and above 5000 RPM, but it's an unbearable drone for the normal drive. Ended up switching to Kline.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Rockford (10-01-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 01:34 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Anyone combined the x-pipe rear section and OPF delete pipes with stock headers?

Wondering how this configuration is compared to stock + OPF delete pipes.

Fabspeed have you tried this combo? Any comments, clips?

Or to confuse and conflate even further ... I wonder how this one would work out:
- 200 cell headers
- resonated OAP
- x-pipe rear section
And I wonder due to likely minimal flow restriction of this setup if you could safely and effectively choose to program the valves to run in the full closed position through the whole rev range if you wanted
Absolutely, both are actually fairly popular setups!

I believe we may have some media of them as well, i will have our media team scrounge some up and shoot it your way!

Personally, my favorite setup is still our 200cel Sport Headers + OAPs paired to the OEM rear section. It sounds absolutely incredible and does not drone whatsoever!

Old 10-04-2022, 02:12 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport

I believe we may have some media of them as well, i will have our media team scrounge some up and shoot it your way!

Personally, my favorite setup is still our 200cel Sport Headers + OAPs paired to the OEM rear section. It sounds absolutely incredible and does not drone whatsoever!
I beg to differ on the "does not drone whatsoever". The OEM exhaust system already drones quite a bit, one of the reasons why the standard PSE close valves between 1800-3000 RPM. The straight piped OAP vs the canister and the less restrictive cats amplify the bassiness going into the system and does drone quite a bit. My first setup for a long time was just the OAPs with stock headers and stock muffler. The droning wasn't nearly as bad with the resonated rear section, but was still far from zero whatsoever. And this is not only Fabspeed, it's all of them. Soul, JCR, Akra, Cargraphics etc. Your best bet to reduce drone is to get one of the resonated OAP options out there these days. As far as sound in high RPM goes, this setup is really fantastic.
Alpha Ice (03-12-2023)
Old 10-04-2022, 04:01 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport

Based on forum feedback and personal experience, I believe the following is GENERALLY true:

Aftermarket headers provide bump in HP/TQ > decibels > tone

Aftermarket OAPs provide bump in DECIBELS > HP/TQ > tone

Aftermarket rear sections alter TONE > decibels > HP/TQ

I have no doubt the @Fabspeed Motorsport headers/OAPs are as effective as any on the market when it comes to bumping decibels and HP/TQ but, in my opinion, the OEM rear box remains a weak link when it comes to tone.

Admittedly, TONE preference is completely subjective, and I am not about to tell anyone who appreciates the OEM tone that they shouldn’t.

Personally, I have lived with Dundon headers/OAPs for a while and:

(1) it is LOUD

(2) butt-dyno support Dundon HP/TQ claims

(3) the OAM rear box does not live up to MY tone expectations

I also think a common observation is that the same aftermarket OAPs (and headers) that add decibels tend to proportionately add drone. The more cats/resonators removed the more decibels . . . and drone, and vice versa.

So, I am NOT here to say ANYTHING negative about @Fabspeed Motorsport. Rather, I doubt FabSpeed has any special sauce that other manufacturers don’t have when it comes to adding decibels without adding drone . . . nor headers/OAPs that can overcome the OEM rear box tone.

As @tdlondon points out, even the OEM exhaust setup drones. I am leery of claims that any aftermarket option is capable of providing more decibels not associated with proportionately more drone. Cats/resonators are give and take propositions.

Avera
Old 10-04-2022, 05:51 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Agreed with Avera and tdlondon....Even Kline, with its Resonated OAP has drone, but not as bad as straight OAP.

Last edited by 808c2s; 10-04-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Avera (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:16 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
As @tdlondon points out, even the OEM exhaust setup drones. I am leery of claims that any aftermarket option is capable of providing more decibels not associated with proportionately more drone. Cats/resonators are give and take propositions.

Avera
Good point @Avera . I'd just vouch personally to Kline as being the best combination of added decibels and tone with reducing drone. I sold my Spyder a couple of months ago where I had a Kline OAP and rear section in Inconel. Put the OEM stuff back on and drove it before I gave it up, the OEM setup is considerably worse than the Kline as far as drone goes. I had the Fabspeed OAP and resonated rear section before Kline and it was really amazing sound on the track, but Kline definitely hit the bullseye on tone and no droning, with a mild compromise on the sound at WOT vs Fabspeed. The one thing I didn't do that may have helped a bit more on WOT volume would have been 200cel headers.

But like you said sound and tone is subjective. There are half a dozen very long threads here on exhaust alone. For those who don't track or track occasionally, my best recommendation by far is Kline.
The following 3 users liked this post by tdlondon:
964C4 (10-05-2022), Avera (10-04-2022), UncleDude (03-10-2023)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:44 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Good point @Avera . I'd just vouch personally to Kline as being the best combination of added decibels and tone with reducing drone. . . But like you said sound and tone is subjective. There are half a dozen very long threads here on exhaust alone. For those who don't track or track occasionally, my best recommendation by far is Kline.
Good stuff @tdlondon

With all the aftermarket offerings, from headers to the rear sections, there are seemingly endless combinations of possibilities and results. Having all these options is amazing, but makes it all but impossible for anyone to hear in-person and truly know what is best for THEM prior just taking a leap of faith.

By week's end I will have what I know is a one of a kind exhaust set-up in the 718 GT4. Even if I end up thinking it is the greatest GT4 exhaust on the road, it will mean next to nothing when it comes to the subjective preferences of others.

I do not think I have heard anything short of good things about Kline on this forum, but I went the JCR route to finish off my exhaust setup . . . I hope to share the results soon.

Avera
Old 11-11-2022, 12:07 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good Afternoon!

In order to show our appreciation for our Veterans and First Responders we are offering 10% off site-wide now through Sunday!

Use code VET22 at checkout to redeem your savings.

A portion of all of our Veterans Day sales will, as always, be proudly donated to Hope For The Warriors. A renowned non-profit that provides Veterans with civilian-life transitional support through health, wellness, and sport/recreational programs. Your Fabspeed Motorsport purchase makes a direct contribution to these life-changing programs for our honored service members, veterans, and military families.Thank you to all of those who have or currently are serving the greater good, we salute your heroism.

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 11-23-2022 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fabspeed Motorsport:
Avera (11-11-2022), slilley (11-12-2022)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Guys!

We recently took delivery of our GT4RS and are well underway with R&D, 718 GT4 vs 4RS rev off coming soon!

Old 01-20-2023, 03:43 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 300 Posts

… 4RS thread

Last edited by TDT; 01-20-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In this video, we compare a complete stock exhaust to a Fabspeed Exhaust side by side to show you how each component of the exhaust works. This applies to all 2020+ Porsche Cayman, Boxster, and Spyder models with the 4.0-liter engine.

tdlondon (02-20-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 03:46 PM
f10tt
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Are there any sound clips out there with resonated OAPs, valvetronic back and stock headers? Coming up blank.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:50 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by f10tt
Are there any sound clips out there with resonated OAPs, valvetronic back and stock headers? Coming up blank.
would like to see more resonated OAP clips as well But they seem to be hard to come by and most seem to be revving in place

I’m looking for clips of 200 cell headers, resonated OAP, valve controller, stock Porsche exhaust chamber

one day… I’ll buy an exhaust system… I promise
Old 03-13-2023, 08:21 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 309 Posts

Without scouring this thread, has anyone used the rear race section only with OEM OAP's? Everything I can find always has OAP's replaced and sometimes the headers too. TIA
Old 03-14-2023, 05:20 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

I’m using the OEM link pipes with fabspeed competition exhaust (but with non catted headers)

Quick Reply: **Fabspeed Motorsport** | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development