Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Roof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:47 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry all—was there a definitive answer on the closing procedure? Is the final step the motorized hook? Or is it motorized hook...and the find step is fully clicking the rear cover closed?
Old 07-25-2020, 09:53 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Sorry all—was there a definitive answer on the closing procedure? Is the final step the motorized hook? Or is it motorized hook...and the find step is fully clicking the rear cover closed?

Interested in this a see as well - to get roof down I use key fob to initiate. But on putting it up I put key in and tun on accessories to engage motorized hook. Is there a better way?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Steps I did to close mine:
1. Open rear hatch
2. Pull roof over cabin
3. Close rear hatch but not all the way... it will visually look like you just hit the rear hatch release button.
4. Attach and click the left and right Buttresses
5. Engage the roof latch via console button
6. Then pushing the rear hatch to engage... so the hatch is fully closed

When I did the above steps, I never had to force/hold the roof Header while latching.
So
1. Get out, go to rear to open rear hatch
2. Go to one side to pull roof up
3. Go back to rear to close hatch, not all the way.
4. Go to one side to close one buttress, then go around to the other side to close the other buttress.
5. Go inside to engage roof latch with console button.
6. Go out and back to rear to close rear hatch.
7. Get back inside.

Glad I just found this thread and videos. And I agree that the roof latch should have been mechanical just like it is on my 987 Boxster S. After all the manual labor and running around to move the top and manipulate the two buttresses, you get to enjoy the electric roof latch, wow...
The following 3 users liked this post by hf1:
0Q991 (08-04-2020), Bolle SC (08-05-2020), RennlistTomE (11-10-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:07 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

would have been really nice if the Spyder had a manual top that was as easy as the miata's manual top. Reach over, close, latch. done.

while the Spyder's current set-up isn't hard to do per se, they just made it a lot more complicated than any of us wish it was...so unPorsche in a way...
The following users liked this post:
Bolle SC (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 02:05 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You don’t have to leave the rear hatch open. Just hold the top when you set the latch. Saves you having to get out of the car again.
Bolle SC (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

The rear cover closed is the final step in the Porsche approved sequence, as for getting in to activate the closing button, I just reach in or have my co-pilot do that part before closing the trunk.
0Q991 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:35 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Westcoast
The rear cover closed is the final step in the Porsche approved sequence, as for getting in to activate the closing button, I just reach in or have my co-pilot do that part before closing the trunk.
Thanks, @Westcoast! Any chance you can post a pic of the official operating instructions of the manual?

Also—do you typically close the roof when the car is parked in the garage at home? Meaning, does leaving the roof folded open for extended periods of time in any way create damage over time?
Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, @Westcoast! Any chance you can post a pic of the official operating instructions of the manual?

Also—do you typically close the roof when the car is parked in the garage at home? Meaning, does leaving the roof folded open for extended periods of time in any way create damage over time?
I am just heading out to Cars and Coffee so I will scan that page in the manual when I get back.

As for longer term storage in the garage I put the top up, not only to minimize the creases as you mentioned but also to stretch out the fabric, when new it is very tight and there have even been complaints about trouble closing the latch at the windshield because of this. I too have found that the front hook has to pull quite a bit to close down the top, over time if the top gets stretched out out this should diminish.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
0Q991 (07-26-2020), ISPYA718 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 12:32 PM
0Q991
Drifting

I am just heading out to Cars and Coffee so I will scan that page in the manual when I get back.

As for longer term storage in the garage I put the top up, not only to minimize the creases as you mentioned but also to stretch out the fabric, when new it is very tight and there have even been complaints about trouble closing the latch at the windshield because of this. I too have found that the front hook has to pull quite a bit to close down the top, over time if the top gets stretched out out this should diminish.
Great, thanks! Enjoy the meet (and the drive to / from...)!

Wow—so the front hook has to work hard upon closing, even as you close the trunk as the last step? And if there is that much tension on the whole system, does clicking the trunk closed take a bit of effort?
Old 07-26-2020, 07:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks! Enjoy the meet (and the drive to / from...)!

Wow—so the front hook has to work hard upon closing, even as you close the trunk as the last step? And if there is that much tension on the whole system, does clicking the trunk closed take a bit of effort?
Unfortunately the book is too thick for me to get a good scan the information close to the inside spine cannot be pressed down hard enough, there are 5 pages to that instruction guide.

It is tough to quantify how hard the hooking latch is working, it is geared so makes a similar noise all of the time, there are two hand hold inside to push the rook assembly close and I have found you need both hands to push the front edge of the top nearer to the windshield. The trunk lid does seem like it is harder to close when the sails are attached then when the roof is stowed.
0Q991 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:11 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Unfortunately the book is too thick for me to get a good scan the information close to the inside spine cannot be pressed down hard enough, there are 5 pages to that instruction guide.

It is tough to quantify how hard the hooking latch is working, it is geared so makes a similar noise all of the time, there are two hand hold inside to push the rook assembly close and I have found you need both hands to push the front edge of the top nearer to the windshield. The trunk lid does seem like it is harder to close when the sails are attached then when the roof is stowed.
hey wes how easy have you found to put roof up and down? very easy? any feedback?
Old 07-26-2020, 08:12 PM
0Q991
Drifting

NP—Thanks for trying!

Harder to close with the sails attached, but still the “right way” to do it, I guess?

How was the meet? Any other Spyders show up?
Old 07-26-2020, 08:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981.CS
hey wes how easy have you found to put roof up and down? very easy? any feedback?
I would say that putting the roof down is a piece of cake, or at least it would be fair to say that it is the easier of the two processes. Well that is except for the need to twist and fold up the sails and then latch them into the roof. My gripe here is a small one, the fold looks terrible (not that you see it when the roof is down) and I have a concern that the creases in and around the corners will eventually be visible like they are on a standard Boxster in the area that you see behind the side windows when the top is up.

Putting up the roof is reasonable from the standpoint of getting everything to the last 2 steps, latching the front hook, you must make sure that the top is close enough to the windshield to grab the top, the thing is the fabric is new and not settled in, I think when it has some more time it will relax and pulling the top forward will become easier, the final step is easy enough, closing the trunk lid, but of course you have to stay out of the car or get out of the car to do this.

So I figure that with practice it will become easier and smoother, but certainly not something you will want to do 4-5 times a day! Oh and a side note, at highway speeds the cabin was quite quiet and easy to converse with your passenger or listen to music.
DFW01TT (08-05-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

NP—Thanks for trying!

Harder to close with the sails attached, but still the “right way” to do it, I guess?

How was the meet? Any other Spyders show up?
The video of the operation really does how it the process works and I think the Porsche method is sound enough to stick with it.

We had a great turn out, probably close to 50 cars, the weather was exception lot of good conversation about the cars and upcoming drives! They saved me a spot right beside another Spyder so we could compare the differences between a 981 and a 982 Spyder, although at first glance the look identical, most things are slightly different, headlight shape, body lines etc, perhaps the rear clamshell is the same, not sure. Here is a quick snapshot of the 2 cars, the sun was at a bad angle but nice to catch the car together, and yes that is a GT4 behind us.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:38 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Okay...i know this topic is a dead horse to most, but after having my Spyder for a week...I finally looked at the owner’s manual (USA) re: the top. For Closing, it states that the mechanical hook is the final step (11)...and closing the luggage compartment lid was step 5.

DFW01TT (08-05-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Roof Problems