Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

A question of economics, how much cash should you have today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Yes
Wanted to clarify because sometimes when reading Rennlist, you do not know if people are saying have $2-3mm separate, then retirement on top.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
This is the exact opposite of what I should do, but the exact amount I would need to pull the trigger, LOL

That's pretty impressive I know at least 50 people with advance degrees at 40 years old, JD, MD, PhD, MBA, but nobody with 2-3 million in cash plus real estate. This is not the norm, but it happens I guess.
Most people with advanced degrees alone won't be wealthy by age 40. They have spent too long in school and have a lot of tuition debt. People that wealthy by 40 have usually become so by inventing something that has a high consumer demand. A few are Wall Street insiders.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
ldamelio (05-25-2020), Rennolazine (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Most people with advanced degrees alone won't be wealthy by age 40. They have spent too long in school and have a lot of tuition debt. People that wealthy by 40 have usually become so by inventing something that has a high consumer demand. A few are Wall Street insiders.
Or they didn't go into debt to get through college and then they worked their *** off once they got out. There's always that path.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
When I bought my GT3 I financed. Put enough down to get a payment that I felt comfortable with and left enough cash.

Paying cash is the ideal situation and what Dave Ramsey would recommend, but unfortunately I am not willing to wait many more years and potentially be in a different personal, financial or health situation that would make it less possible. If I needed the cash at some point and didn't want the payment, I could sell and come out with cash and no payment. I just see too many people waiting until they're 60 to do something and then not be in the right health to do it. I also see younger people not saving anything and living like there is no tomorrow and putting everything on credit/debt to make it happen.

Also, depends what you spend your money on. I don't go out to eat because I like to eat at home and I don't go on vacation often. If I do it is to visit with a friend. Most spend quite a bit on eating out and vacation. Also if you live in a cheaper part of the country and have a stable job, then it may be more possible to buy one of these earlier in life and while financing. If I lived in a place with a higher cost of living with a less stable job, I would not finance and wait longer.

Most important thing is to buy it because you want it, not because you think it will impress other people.
I agree with your comments 100%. It really is a balance, really that’s life right? I have met some folks that have said they wanted to do xyz by 30, then it becomes 40, then 50 and so on, and then when they are able to actually make it happen some other obstacle (health, other financial burden, etc.) usually gets in the way.

The point is be smart with your money, have goals, and spend your money wisely on what’s important to you (doesn’t have to be on a Porsche, but for many of us gearheads it is) while keeping that balance in mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by vtgt:
josephr25 (05-13-2020), Mike Murphy (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:12 PM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

You live in NYC - $60k year in rent
general expenses - $15k year
groceries - $12k year
health insurance - $8k year

do your math.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:44 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Asking for financial advice on a Porsche forum is all lolz but I’ll take a swing.

The standard advice of 3 months expenses is much too small. I understand many people simply can’t afford to save money. They also can’t afford a a Porsche no matter how hard they try because the income side of the budget is brutally too small.

6-12 months seems a lot more reasonable. ........
Thoughtful and well constructed response, but I asked for opinions, not financial advice. (I'd go to the 918 board for advice! ;-))
Old 05-13-2020, 01:09 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Lol. The 918 board is dead. I don’t think they mingle with plebes. The Carrera GT board is probably your sweet spot.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Think in terms of cash or equivalents, what should you have on hand in order to pay for a 115k$'s car today?
What % of your on hand cash would you devote to securing a 718 GT car today?
How does your age come into play?
How does the global economic outlook play into your decision?
Any opinions?
Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Thoughtful and well constructed response, but I asked for opinions, not financial advice. (I'd go to the 918 board for advice! ;-))
I thought most of the replies to your original post where just that, "opinions" and IMHO would include discussions on financial positions, market conditions etc... I thought we did a good job of it!
Old 05-13-2020, 11:07 AM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by theracer21
You live in NYC - $60k year in rent
general expenses - $15k year
groceries - $12k year
health insurance - $8k year

do your math.
I thought my friend's friend was joking she was middle class making $300k a year there.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:25 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25
I thought my friend's friend was joking she was middle class making $300k a year there.
$300k is more than middle class, do not get me wrong. But the expenses are very high. You can easily spend $2000/month in restaurant and drinks without doing anything crazy ... that's why people do not have any cash then .
I've done it the first 2 years that I moved here from Italy and I was almost broke every end of the month.. but that's NYC life, same as LA or MIA.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:05 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25
Looking at income data, if you make over 200k, you're in the top 8.5% of US earners, the middle income earners show a range between 35k to 99k.

As to top income, 5% at 299K , 1% at 718k, .1% at 2,757k.

So, 300k "middle class", difficult to accept, just because you spend more doesn't make you "middle class". The "middle class" classification has shrunk in numbers and the concentration of wealth has shifted, if what has been reported is taken as correct, so there's that.

On a related note, here's an article on Porsche buyer's demographics that's a bit dated but an interesting read;

https://www.stephenzoeller.com/targetmarket-segment-porsche/

Here's another that states that the average Porsche owner's income is over 500k;

http://carsofhtm.com/the-porsche-obs...hats-the-deal/

Last edited by BSO; 05-13-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:00 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Looking at income data, if you make over 200k, you're in the top 8.5% of US earners, the middle income earners show a range between 35k to 99k.

As to top income, 5% at 299K , 1% at 718k, .1% at 2,757k.

So, 300k "middle class", difficult to accept, just because you spend more doesn't make you "middle class". The "middle class" classification has shrunk in numbers and the concentration of wealth has shifted, if what has been reported is taken as correct, so there's that.

On a related note, here's an article on Porsche buyer's demographics that's a bit dated but an interesting read;

https://www.stephenzoeller.com/targetmarket-segment-porsche/

Here's another that states that the average Porsche owner's income is over 500k;

I would say I'm a fantasist that doesn't make 500k. But I have enough to make a DP to make monthly payments comfortable and still weather a year or more of potential unemployment. But I hope it never gets to that point. Just going to throw more into the Porsche fund for however long this is going to go.

As for NYC, not sure if she was joking or not, but the couple of times I've been there, I can easily see 100-200 bucks a night dining out. Even street food is wildly expensive.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO

There's a wealth disparity between Canada and the US so of course numbers will be different but numbers from a reliable source here show something quite different; Ie. nowhere near 500k gross household income. I didn't see a source for that info listed in that article. Here the Panamera owners are the ballers (low key money I guess). Cayman owners stretch themselves the most on earnings vs vehicle cost (my own opinion but I think this is a strong tell that on average they are probably they are the purest of mindset, love their cars the most and will do whatever to possess them), and 911 owners are somewhere in between. By that I mean there's plenty of 911 owners who own for status or similar. I think the Cayman owners are in it for other reasons.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:39 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Are we talking cash or financing here?!

Cash. I've always believed that not having the cash means you shouldn't be buying bc you can't afford it.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:51 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Or they didn't go into debt to get through college and then they worked their *** off once they got out. There's always that path.
The statement was about advanced degrees, not college. Law School, Medical School, PhD programs are 3-7 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars. And there is no way you can work during this type of schooling to any meaningful degree. Again, once you get out, your income isn't solely based on how much you work. A junior person at a law firm may be pulling 80-100 hr weeks and earning like $120k for a number of years. Not chump change, but not enough to buy a $100,000 car either. Most degree professionals will START making big money in their mid to late 30s. At that time you may also have kids and need to save for their college, etc. Again, only entrepreneurs, inventors, etc. who score in a business venture may make big money at a younger age (pro athletes and entertainers, notwithstanding). This is not mutually exclusive from having a professional degree, but it isn't most professionals.

Quick Reply: A question of economics, how much cash should you have today?