Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Miami Blue GT4 Just Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 10:04 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusive991
I'd definitely recommend getting the a-pillars and front of roof done as well if that's not included in the whole front.
Daily drove a 718 for 34k miles - only chips I ever saw were front bumper, a couple on hood, rockers, and behind wheels.
I'm not going crazy with it
Old 05-16-2020, 10:36 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Daily drove a 718 for 34k miles - only chips I ever saw were front bumper, a couple on hood, rockers, and behind wheels.
I'm not going crazy with it
I suppose I'm used to pretty gravely roads up here in Alberta, as we usually don't get our streets sweeped until May/June; even then, I pretty much expect to get at least a handful of rock chips each driving season as it's never always completely clear of little rocks. I actually got a hit today on the roof in my Macan, PPF saved the day. I usually prioritize metal body panels for potential rust production even if I only drive in the summer. Usually the a-pillar and front roof is only a hundred or two more, so not too expensive in what I've experienced is just as high risk as other front end panels. We also have a lot of trucks and SUV's on the road.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:41 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

I suppose I'm used to pretty gravely roads up here in Alberta, as we usually don't get our streets sweeped until May/June; even then, I pretty much expect to get at least a handful of rock chips each driving season as it's never always completely clear of little rocks. I actually got a hit today on the roof in my Macan, PPF saved the day. I usually prioritize metal body panels for potential rust production even if I only drive in the summer. We also have a lot of trucks and SUV's on the road.
Same here, I'm just usually on surface streets < 50mph, or on a well maintained turnpike (toll road). My route is well traveled by personal plow trucks in winter, and dump trucks / lawn care company trucks in the spring/summer/fall...
We have orange cone season too (which is now) where construction is picking up, and the potholes are not quite filled yet and getting washed out with rain.

I just never had anything get up that far (probably due to rarely seeing highways).
Old 05-16-2020, 10:51 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Same here, I'm just usually on surface streets < 50mph, or on a well maintained turnpike (toll road). My route is well traveled by personal plow trucks in winter, and dump trucks / lawn care company trucks in the spring/summer/fall...
We have orange cone season too (which is now) where construction is picking up, and the potholes are not quite filled yet and getting washed out with rain.

I just never had anything get up that far (probably due to rarely seeing highways).
Ahhh that's likely it; I'm almost always on a road north of 80 km/h (50 mph) every time I'm out and about; our roads likely aren't as well maintained...also lots of people (I counted 3 today) making last ditch cuts to get on an exit and then pepper everyone behind them with settled gravel in the divider. We also have a gravel pit near my area that always has dump trucks full of gravel/rocks being transported to other parts of the city and surrounding area for construction. Worst experience I've had was after I picked up my 991 and on the way home in June, a truck flung a massive rock that hit the top of the windshield; looked like it was just a chip despite the loud sound, and 2 seconds later the whole thing split across. I hate our roads...
Old 05-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

For the Spyder everything will get filmed including the windshield...

Most people don't ask me to look over their car, I don't must much of anything, it has been my experience that there are those who see things and those that don't... and I didn't say anything about being OCD!

Old 05-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
For the Spyder everything will get filmed including the windshield...

Most people don't ask me to look over their car, I don't must much of anything, it has been my experience that there are those who see things and those that don't... and I didn't say anything about being OCD!
Which film are you using on your windshield? Assume you've have prior experience with it before? I've heard mixed results locally, with the cost being ~1/2 of a windshield and not as durable as paint PPF so it doesn't affect or distort vision out of the windshield.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Which film are you using on your windshield? Assume you've have prior experience with it before? I've heard mixed results locally, with the cost being ~1/2 of a windshield and not as durable as paint PPF so it doesn't affect or distort vision out of the windshield.
Yes, multiple windshields and years of experience, all with Clearplex. I actually saw that one Alberta PPF company didn't recommend it and said it was actually illegal there, Calgary firm IIRC.

So it can be expensive and it has gone up, 8 years ago it was about $250 Cdn for my Boxster windshield, it is about $350 now, material only. Although I have installed it on 4 different windshields, but professional installation is recommended. The kits I installed were pre- cut and pre-shrunk for each specific application.

When properly done and maintained they are virtually impossible to be seen, remember my comment above, many lookers never see it. There can be minor distortions and chromatic aberrations if you look hard enough, but for the most part very clear.

Durability is directly related to care and storage, store your vehicle outside, it will only last a year or so, in a garage between driving, as long as 3 years, dry wipes from windshield wipers or when there is obvious dirt will scratch it and I have found that road salt hitting it at highway speeds will ruin it within a couple of hours. But if you are as careful with it as you are your painted surfaces, store your car inside between drives, I have recorded 3 years and over 30,000km of life even with some hits that Iknow would have bruised or broken the glass.

Personally I don't see replacing the windshield as a regular or desirable activity, I figure that factory did it best the first time and anytime after that it is barely a close second even if you get an expert Installer and convince the insurance company to use official OEM glass,, add to this the horror stories about crooked glass, scratches in the paint or dash and this is one experience that I will avoid if at all possible.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I’m gonna use the same kind of PPF that Magnus uses on his $7 million collection of Porches.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I’m gonna use the same kind of PPF that Magnus uses on his $7 million collection of Porches.
l would too if I had his money...
Old 05-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Plastic on a couch. A car needs some battle wounds for character.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I’ve never condomed a car and never will. But to each his own.
The following users liked this post:
rzspyder (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 08:05 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Same here, I'm just usually on surface streets < 50mph
congrats on the GT4! can you verify if you rev the car (not moving, parked in place), the car will not rev past 4k rpm until it's moving?
Old 05-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes, multiple windshields and years of experience, all with Clearplex. I actually saw that one Alberta PPF company didn't recommend it and said it was actually illegal there, Calgary firm IIRC.

So it can be expensive and it has gone up, 8 years ago it was about $250 Cdn for my Boxster windshield, it is about $350 now, material only. Although I have installed it on 4 different windshields, but professional installation is recommended. The kits I installed were pre- cut and pre-shrunk for each specific application.

When properly done and maintained they are virtually impossible to be seen, remember my comment above, many lookers never see it. There can be minor distortions and chromatic aberrations if you look hard enough, but for the most part very clear.

Durability is directly related to care and storage, store your vehicle outside, it will only last a year or so, in a garage between driving, as long as 3 years, dry wipes from windshield wipers or when there is obvious dirt will scratch it and I have found that road salt hitting it at highway speeds will ruin it within a couple of hours. But if you are as careful with it as you are your painted surfaces, store your car inside between drives, I have recorded 3 years and over 30,000km of life even with some hits that Iknow would have bruised or broken the glass.

Personally I don't see replacing the windshield as a regular or desirable activity, I figure that factory did it best the first time and anytime after that it is barely a close second even if you get an expert Installer and convince the insurance company to use official OEM glass,, add to this the horror stories about crooked glass, scratches in the paint or dash and this is one experience that I will avoid if at all possible.
so in summation, you would get Clear Plex again, well worth the price + maintenance, esp if you're a city with sunny weather year round. ?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Clearplex worth every nickel as well as a front end wrap. Especially if your exploring the back road twisties with a couple of close friends.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 566 Likes on 312 Posts

I’ve never condomed a car and never will. But to each his own.
If you drive on the track, like I do, a front clear bra is almost mandatory

Quick Reply: Miami Blue GT4 Just Arrived