Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Miami Blue GT4 Just Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by GTChamp
How does it feel driving Miami Blue around? Pros and cons? My build lock date is coming soon and I'm debating between GT Silver and Miami Blue. This car would be my 1/3 time daily driver + weekends + 2-3 track days per year. Live in Southern California. I've had white or black cars my whole driving career and I'm finding that I just can't stop looking at photos of Miami Blue for the 718 GT4. My concern is that although I personally enjoy looking at the Blue, it would bring too much attention which I haven't ever really had to deal with in the past. Hence I'm also strongly considering GT Silver.
I wouldn't say I care much about the attention from others - but the attention I give it is definitely more. I had a GT Silver before this (and before that black, before that dark gray, before that dark blue)... I was done with muted colors.
I'd be lying if I said it didn't stick out more than GT Silver (and you probably know this), but it's not like I'm driving a Lamborghini around in terms of head snapping. I get the "more than occasional" look and thumbs up, but not like it's a super car or anything.
You live in SoCal so I would imagine flashy, bright colored sports cars are a lot more commonplace than they are here in Cleveland, OH

On weekends/track days I don't think anyone would mind someone looking at their car. It's those "1/3 time daily driver" days that you're going to be worried about when you want to fly under the radar. I'd get it anyway just for the uniqueness (MB is going away after 2020) and that it's not grayscale.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:14 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

How does it feel driving Miami Blue around? Pros and cons? My build lock date is coming soon and I'm debating between GT Silver and Miami Blue. This car would be my 1/3 time daily driver + weekends + 2-3 track days per year. Live in Southern California. I've had white or black cars my whole driving career and I'm finding that I just can't stop looking at photos of Miami Blue for the 718 GT4. My concern is that although I personally enjoy looking at the Blue, it would bring too much attention which I haven't ever really had to deal with in the past. Hence I'm also strongly considering GT Silver.
If you love the color, get the color. I had an E92 M3 in Santorini Blue (an individual color). Still miss that color. Always required the look back after I parked it.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:44 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
If you love the color, get the color. I had an E92 M3 in Santorini Blue (an individual color). Still miss that color. Always required the look back after I parked it.
Same here.
definitely my all time favorite colour of all the cars I've owned
Old 05-15-2020, 03:27 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

I never used to like MB but I think it's a great color on a GT4 (good news, there are no bad colors on a GT4).

Go blue and enjoy! You will get over the self-conscious feeling. It may take a while but you'll get there.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:57 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Same here.
definitely my all time favorite colour of all the cars I've owned
It appears that the new Shark Blue (MB replacement) paint for 2021 might come close to Santorini. If so, I may have to change my entire color concept on my build.
The following users liked this post:
InTgr8r (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:01 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
It appears that the new Shark Blue (MB replacement) paint for 2021 might come close to Santorini. If so, I may have to change my entire color concept on my build.

Shark Blue (ish) ???
The following users liked this post:
GTChamp (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:07 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Originally Posted by fantom
Shark Blue (ish) ???
There you go. I wonder how close this is to Shark Blue. Blues are hard to capture accurately.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

I have been looking at Blue (Guess it will be "shark blue") or yellow. Love both and so over black and white cars (just had to many of each). Same as you is 1/4 Daily + weekend with a few track days. But worried about attention even though I love the colors. Do you really get more tickets in a bright car? or is that a myth?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:03 AM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
Do you really get more tickets in a bright car? or is that a myth?
GR 911 Carrera T...in 2 years got pulled over once (rightly so). Less of the color in my opinion and more of where you live. It seems cops bother me less with a "bright Porsche" than my old boring color Jeep Wrangler.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:11 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I plan to wrap the front end with clear bra and ceramic coat whole car. I have seen the XPEL cover given it a slightly "darker" shade vs. uncoated (at least on a red car) if you look closely. Do you think this will be an issue for Miami blue?
Old 05-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
I plan to wrap the front end with clear bra and ceramic coat whole car. I have seen the XPEL cover given it a slightly "darker" shade vs. uncoated (at least on a red car) if you look closely. Do you think this will be an issue for Miami blue?
I don't know if it changes the shade of the car colour, especially with current PPF options out there. If anything, it could slightly change the level of gloss compared to the actual paint? I've wrapped at least the front end of my cars for many years and have never noticed a difference in shade. FWIW, I'm wrapping the whole car in PPF and likely skipping the ceramic coat with a full wrap. I'd ask what brand PPF the shop you're using uses and then do some searches online. I'm between STEK (no ceramic coating) and XPEL Ultimate (with Fusion Plus ceramic coating which was designed for XPEL Ultimate). I don't think any current PPF will be an issue for Miami Blue.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

I have not seen any change in colour on any cars with Xpel or 3M clear PPF products...
Old 05-16-2020, 04:07 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

I'll let you know after I get XPEL in a week! Getting it done on the whole front / rockers / behind rear wheels and then a ceramic coating on top of that.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:21 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
I'll let you know after I get XPEL in a week! Getting it done on the whole front / rockers / behind rear wheels and then a ceramic coating on top of that.
I'd definitely recommend getting the a-pillars and front of roof done as well if that's not included in the whole front.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

I used to live on the edge and get only the area's done that I thought a rock could hit, then while out on a peaceful drive I met Mr. Murphy, I completely under estimated his resolve, now I just the entire car done!

Quick Reply: Miami Blue GT4 Just Arrived