Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Smartphone compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 04:58 PM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

My iPhone 13 Pro overheats in the compartment. I can't really use the Track Precision App while leaving the phone in there...
any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2022, 09:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauss
My iPhone 13 Pro overheats in the compartment. I can't really use the Track Precision App while leaving the phone in there...
any suggestions?
Don’t put you phone in there then... it does not need to be physically connected to the car only the cars wifi.

The following users liked this post:
Gauss (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 09:25 AM
Toon902
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

any suggestions?
Overheating became a problem with wireless charging in a similar compartment on new BMW Z4s, especially when running an app in the background like Waze (or presumably the Track Precision app). It became such a problem, that BMW dropped it as an option from 2022 onwards. There are plenty of discussions on Bimmerpost from guys that have cut openings in the rear of their compartments for small electric fans to provide a degree of air circulation. Not a "fix" that I'm interested in attempting, so I didn't check the Smartphone Compartment button on my CGTS!
The following users liked this post:
Gauss (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 01:53 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Lots of phone charging mats for cars on the internet. Most run $20-30.
Here is one:
Amazon.com : phone charging mat for car Amazon.com : phone charging mat for car
Old 09-06-2022, 03:38 PM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it plugged in via USB cable in the compartment anyway, otherwise I can't use Carplay. It is thus being charged through the USB cable. I wanted to use the compartment for better signal reception (maybe also GPS signal?) and for securing the phone so that it cannot fly around in case of a crash.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:55 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

any suggestions?
Rennsport magnetic phone holder
Old 09-07-2022, 12:13 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toon902
Overheating became a problem with wireless charging in a similar compartment on new BMW Z4s, especially when running an app in the background like Waze (or presumably the Track Precision app). It became such a problem, that BMW dropped it as an option from 2022 onwards. There are plenty of discussions on Bimmerpost from guys that have cut openings in the rear of their compartments for small electric fans to provide a degree of air circulation. Not a "fix" that I'm interested in attempting, so I didn't check the Smartphone Compartment button on my CGTS!
Not sure why you think this has anything to do with the BMW!?

Read post #16, the smartphone compartment does not have wireless charging...

Old 09-07-2022, 12:17 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have it plugged in via USB cable in the compartment anyway, otherwise I can't use Carplay. It is thus being charged through the USB cable. I wanted to use the compartment for better signal reception (maybe also GPS signal?) and for securing the phone so that it cannot fly around in case of a crash.
And that is what it designed to do...
Old 09-07-2022, 12:32 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

I just use a longer USB cable and put my phone in the passenger footwell net.

The “Smartphone Compartment” is useless in the US; not too mention a bitch to get a larger smartphone into and plugged in.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:36 AM
Toon902
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not sure why you think this has anything to do with the BMW!?

Read post #16, the smartphone compartment does not have wireless charging...
With all due respect, please refer to post #46 in which the poster mentions “overheating” while running a track app even without wireless charging. The point of my reply was to highlight the extremes BMW owners have gone to attempt to improve air circulation in an enclosed space.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:13 PM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone confirm that on the current cars, with standard CarPlay, but without the smartphone compartment, the only USB port is in the glove compartment? Anyone have a photo? Just want to make sure I’m not SOL if I don’t equip the compartment. I am planning to buy a wireless CarPlay module off Amazon.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:27 PM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
Can anyone confirm that on the current cars, with standard CarPlay, but without the smartphone compartment, the only USB port is in the glove compartment? Anyone have a photo? Just want to make sure I’m not SOL if I don’t equip the compartment. I am planning to buy a wireless CarPlay module off Amazon.
there is a usb port in the center console as well. It’s not the newer USB-C.
The following 2 users liked this post by absame:
hoyasaxa (01-27-2023), Unstock (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 11:46 PM
aclicky
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
MY2023 with USB port in center console compartment (did not check the smart phone compartment option)

Last edited by aclicky; 01-28-2023 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarification 2 (mixed the two up)
The following 2 users liked this post by aclicky:
GTFede78 (01-27-2023), hoyasaxa (01-27-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 05:20 AM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aclicky
MY2023 with USB port in glove compartment (did not check the smart phone compartment option)
@aclicky and that glove compartment port works for CarPlay (in other words, it’s both charging and data)? (Just nervous I’m going to end up with standard CarPlay and nowhere to plug in ha).

seems like the glove box is a natural place, then, to put the wireless CarPlay module and never think about it again.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:23 AM
aclicky
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, i used it for Car Play Once while figuring out how to get the Car Play functionality to work (I admit I haven't used this feature at all during my drives because I am usually going to someplace familiar and I listen to HD radio). I have not tried to use a wireless car play adapter I bought suggested by a fellow rennlister in the glove compartment.

M

Quick Reply: Smartphone compartment?