Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Smartphone compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by akitamike
Has anyone who actually ordered and picked up their Spyder with the Smartphone Compartment (SC) been able to confirm that this SC charges your cell phone, or just keeps it at same low level and slowly charges, and do you get a USB plug (or two) if you don't order the SC? Does SC actually boost the cell phone signal? Seems like an expensive $560 option, but is it worth it?

"Smartphone compartment in center console for optimized cellular reception and battery-saving operation. It is the customer’s responsibility to register with their wireless service provider prior to using the signal booster."
I have a Spyder with the smart phone compartment, you are miss reading "and battery saving operation" for charging other than the attached USB cable, some thought that it would be a wireless charger tray, it is not. So as for signal booster, that is tough to test for, I though that I read it somehow tied back to an antenna in the windshield, this would be a tough one to measure, going by 'bars' of signal strength on the phone display is not going to help here, I will say it seem to allow for good reception when the phone is in there, as for the bolded comment above, that one make no sense to me?

Regarding the USB connections, with smartphone compartment (I reserve SC for Sport Chrono ) there is only 1 in there, and this also removes the 12v socket there and the AUX audio connection in the forward glove compartment. Note that there is a a raised tray section as well, my S9+ does lay flat on the tray so if you have a large phone beware. See the picture below for those details.

Is is worth it, well now that I have it I would say no, in the Spyder the roof won't really block cell much signal, that raised tray is a pain for larger phones and loosing the AUX audio mean no legacy connection for either phone audio or MP3 player playback. YMMV

Old 11-12-2020, 02:17 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I was going to order it but my SA said it was a poor idea - I now agree!
Old 11-12-2020, 02:20 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I was going to order it but my SA said it was a poor idea - I now agree!
Same here...he said it was a joke.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What I am not sure of, without Smartphone Compartment does that compartment 'only' have a 12v socket or is there a USB in there as well? The USB connection does give you connectivity to the PCM and charging.

Can somebody with out this option confirm what is in there for connections?

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-12-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

This might be a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before. If there is no USB connection in there is the connection to the PCM for car play wireless? Even my golf has a usb outlet under the stereo to connect and charge.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
This might be a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before. If there is no USB connection in there is the connection to the PCM for car play wireless? Even my golf has a usb outlet under the stereo to connect and charge.
Not sure about Car Play wireless, IIRC it was not included (yet?), but there is a USB connection in the glove box in front of the passenger for smartphone connections.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:51 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not sure about Car Play wireless, IIRC it was not included (yet?), but there is a USB connection in the glove box in front of the passenger for smartphone connections.
I'm not sure either. CarPlay is standard on the GTS, and I was under the assumption I could keep the phone in the compartment and use that feature. I might be wrong about that and it'll have to go in the glovebox if a hard connection is the only option. If you order CarPlay, do you get a usb connection in the console? I understand you get one with this Smartphone compartment.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:09 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I'm not sure either. CarPlay is standard on the GTS, and I was under the assumption I could keep the phone in the compartment and use that feature. I might be wrong about that and it'll have to go in the glovebox if a hard connection is the only option. If you order CarPlay, do you get a usb connection in the console? I understand you get one with this Smartphone compartment.
Apple Car Play is a stand alone option box on the GT4, not sure about the Spyder.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Apple Car Play is a stand alone option box on the GT4, not sure about the Spyder.
Actually we are looking at the GTS as well here and wondering what connections are in the center console when you don't opt for the Smartphone compartment option...?
Old 11-12-2020, 04:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Actually we are looking at the GTS as well here and wondering what connections are in the center console when you don't opt for the Smartphone compartment option...?
My SA said power only on the GTS even with CarPlay standard, and no wireless.

Last edited by UncleDude; 11-12-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:49 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

My GT4 has CarPlay and I plug in my USB connection in the Center Console. I do not have the other option.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pettelli
My GT4 has CarPlay and I plug in my USB connection in the Center Console. I do not have the other option.
Interesting, so you have a USB connection in the armrest console, what is in the glove compartment?
Old 11-12-2020, 06:41 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

USB port as well. My 987.1 has a charger outlet in the center console but the 718 does not. Only the lighter and below the glove box. Same for 718.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pettelli
USB port as well. My 987.1 has a charger outlet in the center console but the 718 does not. Only the lighter and below the glove box. Same for 718.
There should also be a 3.5mm AUX jack in the glove box... it is not in my car because I opted for Smartphone Compartment.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:23 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Here’s the two ports. Center console & glove box

Center console

Glove box

Last edited by pettelli; 11-12-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add photos

Quick Reply: Smartphone compartment?