Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder current owners - Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 05:00 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Just received mine today

A previous owner of 991.1 c4s and 991.2 gt3 and currently also have GT2RS
My initial impression is that i am very impressed. Will get to more details, but first i have some questions for the current 981 owners as well regarding the top. The inside of the top looks like it's work in progress. Did they miss the internal cover of the canvas ? I can see the details of the internal structure. Also the top operation is flimsy.
now to my initial impressions:
- ride quality: Porsche seemingly managing to strike a very good balance here. It’s quite compliant.
- engine: the torque profile of the engine is just sweet, very sweet... didn’t past 4k yet but it is very willing. Seems hard to exaggerate how nice this one is so far
- burmester: doesn’t disappoint but not sure it’s suitable for this car. This car is the Porsche equvilant of a motor cycle.
- no apparent issue for the long gearing at all. I was worried. Now i am not. however the clutch seems heavy ish and i am little disappointed at the flow of the stock. In heard it described as “notchy” but i expected it to feel better. Maybe because it’s still new.
- all in all i feel this might become my favorite Porsche so far.
- my color it carrara white (after a lot of hesitation). Whoever is considering it i suggest to go for it. It shows of the car curves and no pic does it justice. Looks edible in real life.
- the sound. In our market we don’t get particulate filter. I am encouraged by the sound so far when the sport exhaust is pressed. Sounds completely useless with the sport exhaust not activated.
Not sure what happens between 2k and 4k rpm because it seems to reduce the SEv effect yet it sounds different than not pressing it at all
Get excited about your upcoming car. it’s nice.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:05 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmet
A previous owner of 991.1 c4s and 991.2 gt3 and currently also have GT2RS
My initial impression is that i am very impressed. Will get to more details, but first i have some questions for the current 981 owners as well regarding the top. The inside of the top looks like it's work in progress. Did they miss the internal cover of the canvas ? I can see the details of the internal structure. Also the top operation is flimsy.
now to my initial impressions:
- ride quality: Porsche seemingly managing to strike a very good balance here. It’s quite compliant.
- engine: the torque profile of the engine is just sweet, very sweet... didn’t past 4k yet but it is very willing. Seems hard to exaggerate how nice this one is so far
- burmester: doesn’t disappoint but not sure it’s suitable for this car. This car is the Porsche equvilant of a motor cycle.
- no apparent issue for the long gearing at all. I was worried. Now i am not. however the clutch seems heavy ish and i am little disappointed at the flow of the stock. In heard it described as “notchy” but i expected it to feel better. Maybe because it’s still new.
- all in all i feel this might become my favorite Porsche so far.
- my color it carrara white (after a lot of hesitation). Whoever is considering it i suggest to go for it. It shows of the car curves and no pic does it justice. Looks edible in real life.
- the sound. In our market we don’t get particulate filter. I am encouraged by the sound so far when the sport exhaust is pressed. Sounds completely useless with the sport exhaust not activated.
Not sure what happens between 2k and 4k rpm because it seems to reduce the SEv effect yet it sounds different than not pressing it at all
Get excited about your upcoming car. it’s nice.
Thanks for your review! Where are you located?

Top top in the 718 Spyder is identical to the top in the 981 Spyder, as is the procedure. The inside of the top is not unfinished- that’s how it comes. The object of the top is to be lightweight and to keep the rain out; not to provide sound or temperature insulation. Extra weight is the enemy with this car, so the inside of the top is simply a crude structure which is functional. No leaks, and it provides protection from the outside elements.

How would you describe the fun factor/feeling you have when driving this car as compared with the 991.2 GT3? Does the 718 Spyder inspire a similar level of emotion/soul?

For me, my 981 Spyder is just about the most fun car I’ve ever driven; and I’m thinking with the addition of a 718 Spyder, I might sell the GT3 because it’s way too much car for the street according to my skill level and needs.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:01 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

My Spyder arrived and I picked it up Saturday. It's Yellow!

About the roof: the canvas is so tight (maybe because it's new) that the automated connection from the hook to the front screen not always works from the first attempt. Especially if you leave the roof down for the whole day like I do. Hopefully it will loosen somehow with usage.

The noise: I rented a 981 GT4 in 2017 and it was to loud for long drives IMO. The 718 Spyder is not so loud, but the sound is always present and plenty loud to my taste. The Spyder makes wonderful mechanical noises too. I love it.

The seats: I picked the full carbon buckets because without them, it's no proper GT car IMO. But that's just me. They sit perfectly, though admittedly it's more of an event to get out of the car...

Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 AM
DrakarBoxster
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
....The seats: I picked the full carbon buckets because without them, it's no proper GT car IMO. But that's just me. They sit perfectly, though admittedly it's more of an event to get out of the car...
What’s the longest driving time did you do with it and did you originally have a sensitive back to start with?

i have a chronic back pain but it’s manageable. However I keep hearing the carbon Bucket will kill my 30min commute to/from work everyday. I will drive it on the odd time out of town but I don’t think too often.

Thx
Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
My Spyder arrived and I picked it up Saturday. It's Yellow!

About the roof: the canvas is so tight (maybe because it's new) that the automated connection from the hook to the front screen not always works from the first attempt. Especially if you leave the roof down for the whole day like I do. Hopefully it will loosen somehow with usage.

The noise: I rented a 981 GT4 in 2017 and it was to loud for long drives IMO. The 718 Spyder is not so loud, but the sound is always present and plenty loud to my taste. The Spyder makes wonderful mechanical noises too. I love it.

The seats: I picked the full carbon buckets because without them, it's no proper GT car IMO. But that's just me. They sit perfectly, though admittedly it's more of an event to get out of the car...
Regarding the roof- here’s what I do every time after I learned early on that it doesn’t always close correctly on its own.

While seated and executing the last step to close the roof with the button, take your left hand and grab the little slot on the inside roof just rearward of the hanging metal latch and pull the roof forward — help it along with a little pressure as you press the button — and it will grab every time. This doesn’t hurt the roof — that little area is a hard structure which is made to accept some manual assistance.

=====
Pictures please!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:34 AM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Is there anyway you can do a video of the sound without the particulate filter? I don't believe anyone has heard it yet!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakarBoxster
What’s the longest driving time did you do with it and did you originally have a sensitive back to start with?

i have a chronic back pain but it’s manageable. However I keep hearing the carbon Bucket will kill my 30min commute to/from work everyday. I will drive it on the odd time out of town but I don’t think too often.

Thx
You need to sit in and/or drive a car with them. The main issue isn't the seat padding. There is no lumbar support, and the back rest doesn't move. If the angle works for you, you can always add a small pillow for lumbar and maybe extra padding for the bottom. But it's plenty comfortable already outside of those two issues.
The following users liked this post:
DrakarBoxster (03-28-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Thanks for the update regarding the top. I still think it has been over minimalized and good to know they didn't miss anything on my car.
My outgoing GT3 was a PDK, the GT3 is a completely different animal i would say. A lot more aggression on the GT3 engine and I too found it difficult to find space to fully experience the car (no tracks here).
I haven't revved the spyder yet so I cannot make an opinion vs the GT3's post-5000rpm-madness, i suspect it wont be as aggressive. If I am to describe the GT2 RS on the otherhand, I would say the engine feels like it is violent (like a sledge hammer). The spyder would be described as more effortless up to 4k rpm. I still didnt check what are the running in instructions. Fun factor (all fun but in a different way). But i was very happy with my first drive..
I am located in Egypt, and I am told we do Not get a particulate filter.
I will try to upload a video with the engine sound while stationary. Hard to manage a video capturing the sound while driving, but i will give it a shot too. Yet the overall impression is that I like the SE note (especially when slightly pushing the car), but it is not the same like the GT3 SE (didnt care for the drone of that one), and different than the 991.1 C4s X51 that i had before, not worse, just different and less crackly. Yet by comparison to that 981 comparison video, i would say it is better than the 718 featured in that video (one fellow's opinion).
Hope that helps despite the struggle with putting words into how an engine "feels"
Old 01-06-2020, 04:53 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
You need to sit in and/or drive a car with them. The main issue isn't the seat padding. There is no lumbar support, and the back rest doesn't move. If the angle works for you, you can always add a small pillow for lumbar and maybe extra padding for the bottom. But it's plenty comfortable already outside of those two issues.
You can get an aftermarket angle adjustment plate for the LWB.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:43 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Thx
Sunday, my girlfriend and I drove from my place in Flanders to the French coast (Wissant & Cap Blanc Nez) while avoiding highways. It took 3 hours to get there, with one 5 minute stop. We both agreed the seats are very comfortable. Though getting out will not be for everyone. I am in very good shape considering my age: 53. I got back pain when I was 33 but it vanished when I lost weight, though I am no featherweight (85kg/1m76cm). A friend of me drives a 718 Boxster with standard seats and he complains sometimes about his back. But he should loose weight too!

It's difficult to advise.. Best advise is to have a go for yourself in a GT4 or Spyder with buckets.

BTW, both car and girl are keepers! If you look closely, you can see England's chalk rocks on the other side of the North Sea Channel.

The following 7 users liked this post by Yellow Submarine:
2XIPA (01-07-2020), 911F1 (01-07-2020), DrakarBoxster (01-07-2020), PierreTT (01-08-2020), SpyderSwede (01-07-2020), spyderweb (12-22-2021), worf928 (01-07-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:20 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Thx
I was stressed about the buckets as well. At 40 I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my lower back It rarely bothers me but when I bend over a lot when working at a work bench or sitting on the floor or when I sit in some car seats/airplane seats. To see if I can handle the buckets, I went to the local dealership with a used gt2 for sale. I spent 3 hours in the showing room just sitting in the car doing some online training for work. After 3 hours, I still felt great, comfortable the entire time, like I was sitting in my herman miller office chair for 3 hours.

Obviously, everyone's different, but that put my mind at ease.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Default video of exhaust

struggling with uploading the video
Old 01-07-2020, 03:24 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 195 Posts

struggling with uploading the video
Post it to you tube and provide us with a link
Old 01-07-2020, 05:24 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
Post it to you tube and provide us with a link
YES! We are dying!
Old 01-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Posted

Last edited by Hmet; 01-07-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder current owners - Please comment